Microsoft and Gator ...WTF?

MAP wrote:
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june30.php

Certainly an alarming trend, if true. Note, however, that there are
nothing but unspecified anonymous "sources" cited in the purported
"news" story. I think I'll wait for a few facts before become alarmed
over what could be nothing but unfounded rumor.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

MAP wrote:
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june30.php

What don't you understand? MS is the corporation mostly likely to
become Big Brother. It's not like MS goes to great lengths to hide its
Global Domination aspirations.

--
Peace!
Kurt

"Rich" <dontbotherme@work.com> wrote in message
> Great news isn't it, first they give you a beta of software to stop
spyware
> and then they buy one of the biggest offenders.

Perhaps he just plans to sack all the staff and close them down? Oh well we
can but hope.

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june30.php
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

The thing that annoys me about this so called report is :-
"...
This is how the deal would work if this purchase happens. Microsoft would
have the information collected from forty million people who happen to have
Claria software on their computers. Microsoft then would use that
information to serve personalized advertisements based on the surfing habits
of those people.
...."

Just what are 'they' basing this preposterous statement on.
They have absolutly no idea why we may be looking at purchasing other
companies.
This is nothing more then wild speculation and scare mongering.
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june30.php
>>
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak
>
> The thing that annoys me about this so called report is :-
> "...
> This is how the deal would work if this purchase happens. Microsoft
> would have the information collected from forty million people who
> happen to have Claria software on their computers. Microsoft then
> would use that information to serve personalized advertisements based
> on the surfing habits of those people.
> ..."
>
> Just what are 'they' basing this preposterous statement on.
> They have absolutly no idea why we may be looking at purchasing other
> companies.
> This is nothing more then wild speculation and scare mongering.
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
>
> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june30.php
>>
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak

Microsoft AntiSpyware downgrades Gator, now presents users with a
‘Recommended Action’ of ‘Ignore’. - http://p2pnet.net/story/5429

Microsoft's Adware-Company buy would reward people who steal advertising
revenue from others' Web sites. -

> Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
>> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june30.php
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Pawlak
>>
>> The thing that annoys me about this so called report is :-
>> "...
>> This is how the deal would work if this purchase happens. Microsoft
>> would have the information collected from forty million people who
>> happen to have Claria software on their computers. Microsoft then
>> would use that information to serve personalized advertisements based
>> on the surfing habits of those people.
>> ..."
>>
>> Just what are 'they' basing this preposterous statement on.
>> They have absolutly no idea why we may be looking at purchasing other
>> companies.
>> This is nothing more then wild speculation and scare mongering.
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june30.php
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Pawlak
>
> Microsoft AntiSpyware downgrades Gator, now presents users with a
> ‘Recommended Action’ of ‘Ignore’. - http://p2pnet.net/story/5429
>
> Microsoft's Adware-Company buy would reward people who steal advertising
> revenue from others' Web sites. -

Stories proving nothing and certainly not backing up any speculation being
made by the original posters link.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:%23$CKxK0fFHA.3916@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:
>>> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The thing that annoys me about this so called report is :-
>>> "...
>>> This is how the deal would work if this purchase happens. Microsoft
>>> would have the information collected from forty million people who
>>> happen to have Claria software on their computers. Microsoft then
>>> would use that information to serve personalized advertisements
>>> based on the surfing habits of those people.
>>> ..."
>>>
>>> Just what are 'they' basing this preposterous statement on.
>>> They have absolutly no idea why we may be looking at purchasing
>>> other companies.
>>> This is nothing more then wild speculation and scare mongering.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Microsoft AntiSpyware downgrades Gator, now presents users with a
>> ‘Recommended Action’ of ‘Ignore’. - http://p2pnet.net/story/5429
>>
>> Microsoft's Adware-Company buy would reward people who steal
>> advertising revenue from others' Web sites. -
>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1833649,00.asp
>>

> Stories proving nothing and certainly not backing up any speculation
> being made by the original posters link.

The first one reports something verifiable, that MS has, in fact,
lessened the warning about Gator.

And the second one is an opinion piece that I happen to agree with, that
if MS does Claria then they are letting some real scumbags profit from
their actions!

Your company has clearly been in talks with Claria, for what is
debatable at the moment, but it is clear that downgrading MAS warning on
Gator is not in the best interests of consumers.

http://kurttrail.com/kblog/kblogarch/00000048.php

--

Mike Brannigan [MSFT] wrote:

> "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/june30.php
>>
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak
>
> The thing that annoys me about this so called report is :-
> "...
> This is how the deal would work if this purchase happens. Microsoft would
> have the information collected from forty million people who happen to
> have Claria software on their computers. Microsoft then would use that
> information to serve personalized advertisements based on the surfing
> habits of those people.
> ..."
>
> Just what are 'they' basing this preposterous statement on.
> They have absolutly no idea why we may be looking at purchasing other
> companies.
> This is nothing more then wild speculation and scare mongering.

Maybe the author studied at Microsoft University?

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"