Restoring XP onto New Hard Drive -- Don't have old Windows..

July 1, 2005 11:55:05 AM

I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process of
re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer with Windows
ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade
CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".

The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to verify that
I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have the CD. What can I
do? Anybody have this problem before?
July 1, 2005 3:12:11 PM

You can try restoring the system to its ex-factory state with the Compaq Recovery
CD and then starting the upgrade from within Windows ME (rather than booting from
the XP Upgrade CD), but in a similar situation I found it easier to buy an
obsolete "full retail" Windows CD on eBay (Win 95, Win98 or Win Me will work).
(Caveat -- MS WinXP site says that Win95 "does not qualify" for upgrade, but I
have read that it does; safest bet is to get a Win98 or Win98se CD).

New Hard Drive Installation wrote:

> I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process of
> re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer with Windows
> ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade
> CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".
>
> The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to verify that
> I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have the CD. What can I
> do? Anybody have this problem before?
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:02:42 PM

Believe Compaq sells replacements as "losing" the restore CD is quite
common. The website address is self-explanatory.
"New Hard Drive Installation" <New Hard Drive
Installation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process of
> re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer with
Windows
> ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I have are the XP
Upgrade
> CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".
>
> The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to verify
that
> I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have the CD. What can I
> do? Anybody have this problem before?
July 1, 2005 4:40:35 PM

Lem wrote:
> You can try restoring the system to its ex-factory state with the
> Compaq Recovery CD and then starting the upgrade from within Windows
> ME (rather than booting from the XP Upgrade CD), but in a similar
> situation I found it easier to buy an obsolete "full retail" Windows
> CD on eBay (Win 95, Win98 or Win Me will work). (Caveat -- MS WinXP
> site says that Win95 "does not qualify" for upgrade, but I have read
> that it does; safest bet is to get a Win98 or Win98se CD).

Win95 qualifies for the upgrade as a clean install only, no upgrades are
allowed.

To the OP. Just borrow a Windows install CD, any Win9x/2K install CD
will do, from a friend.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Lil' Dave wrote:

> "New Hard Drive Installation" <New Hard Drive
> Installation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process
>> of re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer
>> with Windows ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I
>> have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".
>>
>> The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to
>> verify that I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have
>> the CD. What can I do? Anybody have this problem before?
>
> Believe Compaq sells replacements as "losing" the restore CD is quite
> common. The website address is self-explanatory.

Why would the OP need another Restore CD?

"The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq 'Recovery
CD'."

And heard people complain that once they bought a new Hard Drive the
Compaq recovery CD wouldn't work.

Plus a clean install is much better idea to do than upgrading over a
restored Compaq install, especially ME, the worst OS ever to come out of
Redmond.

Easiest way to get to use the XP Upgrade, is to "borrow" a friend's
Windows install CD, Win95 or later.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 1:14:48 PM

> Lil' Dave wrote:
>
> > "New Hard Drive Installation" <New Hard Drive
> > Installation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process
> >> of re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer
> >> with Windows ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I
> >> have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".
> >>
> >> The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to
> >> verify that I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have
> >> the CD. What can I do? Anybody have this problem before?
> >
> > Believe Compaq sells replacements as "losing" the restore CD is quite
> > common. The website address is self-explanatory.
>
> Why would the OP need another Restore CD?
>
> "The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq 'Recovery
> CD'."
>
> And heard people complain that once they bought a new Hard Drive the
> Compaq recovery CD wouldn't work.
>
> Plus a clean install is much better idea to do than upgrading over a
> restored Compaq install, especially ME, the worst OS ever to come out of
> Redmond.
>
> Easiest way to get to use the XP Upgrade, is to "borrow" a friend's
> Windows install CD, Win95 or later.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Being "old school" with Compaqs and upgrades, my concern was with device
drivers for the Compaq. The recovery CD has these. A generic windows
install CD may not. Thus my suggestion.

Mine was not meant to lessen or degrade your reply if that was/is your reply
intent.

And, shame on both of us. The XP upgrade install may not work on this
platform with a generic XP upgrade CD anyway. Compaq sells their version of
an XP upgrade for exactly that reason for some of their models.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:40:55 PM

Lil' Dave wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:%23$5f6EmfFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Lil' Dave wrote:
>>
>>> "New Hard Drive Installation" <New Hard Drive
>>> Installation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Believe Compaq sells replacements as "losing" the restore CD is
>>> quite common. The website address is self-explanatory.
>>
>> Why would the OP need another Restore CD?
>>
>> "The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq 'Recovery
>> CD'."
>>
>> And heard people complain that once they bought a new Hard Drive the
>> Compaq recovery CD wouldn't work.
>>
>> Plus a clean install is much better idea to do than upgrading over a
>> restored Compaq install, especially ME, the worst OS ever to come
>> out of Redmond.
>>
>> Easiest way to get to use the XP Upgrade, is to "borrow" a friend's
>> Windows install CD, Win95 or later.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>>

> Being "old school" with Compaqs and upgrades, my concern was with
> device drivers for the Compaq. The recovery CD has these. A generic
> windows install CD may not. Thus my suggestion.
>
> Mine was not meant to lessen or degrade your reply if that was/is
> your reply intent.
>
> And, shame on both of us. The XP upgrade install may not work on this
> platform with a generic XP upgrade CD anyway. Compaq sells their
> version of an XP upgrade for exactly that reason for some of their
> models.

As I said, ". . . . a clean install is much better idea to do than
upgrading over a
restored Compaq install . . . ."

--
!