Restoring XP onto New Hard Drive -- Don't have old Windows..

I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process of
re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer with Windows
ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade
CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".

The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to verify that
I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have the CD. What can I
do? Anybody have this problem before?
6 answers Last reply
More about restoring hard drive windows

    You can try restoring the system to its ex-factory state with the Compaq Recovery
    CD and then starting the upgrade from within Windows ME (rather than booting from
    the XP Upgrade CD), but in a similar situation I found it easier to buy an
    obsolete "full retail" Windows CD on eBay (Win 95, Win98 or Win Me will work).
    (Caveat -- MS WinXP site says that Win95 "does not qualify" for upgrade, but I
    have read that it does; safest bet is to get a Win98 or Win98se CD).

    New Hard Drive Installation wrote:

    > I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process of
    > re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer with Windows
    > ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade
    > CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".
    >
    > The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to verify that
    > I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have the CD. What can I
    > do? Anybody have this problem before?

    Believe Compaq sells replacements as "losing" the restore CD is quite
    common. The website address is self-explanatory.

    Lem wrote:
    > You can try restoring the system to its ex-factory state with the
    > Compaq Recovery CD and then starting the upgrade from within Windows
    > ME (rather than booting from the XP Upgrade CD), but in a similar
    > situation I found it easier to buy an obsolete "full retail" Windows
    > CD on eBay (Win 95, Win98 or Win Me will work). (Caveat -- MS WinXP
    > site says that Win95 "does not qualify" for upgrade, but I have read
    > that it does; safest bet is to get a Win98 or Win98se CD).

    Win95 qualifies for the upgrade as a clean install only, no upgrades are
    allowed.

    To the OP. Just borrow a Windows install CD, any Win9x/2K install CD
    will do, from a friend.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Lil' Dave wrote:

    > "New Hard Drive Installation" <New Hard Drive
    > Installation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process
    >> of re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer
    >> with Windows ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I
    >> have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".
    >>
    >> The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to
    >> verify that I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have
    >> the CD. What can I do? Anybody have this problem before?
    >
    > Believe Compaq sells replacements as "losing" the restore CD is quite
    > common. The website address is self-explanatory.

    Why would the OP need another Restore CD?

    "The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq 'Recovery
    CD'."

    And heard people complain that once they bought a new Hard Drive the
    Compaq recovery CD wouldn't work.

    Plus a clean install is much better idea to do than upgrading over a
    restored Compaq install, especially ME, the worst OS ever to come out of
    Redmond.

    Easiest way to get to use the XP Upgrade, is to "borrow" a friend's
    Windows install CD, Win95 or later.

    --

    > Lil' Dave wrote:
    >
    > > "New Hard Drive Installation" <New Hard Drive
    > > Installation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a bad hard drive. I bought a new one and was in the process
    > >> of re-loading Windows XP onto the new drive. I bought the computer
    > >> with Windows ME on it and paid for the XP Upgrade. The only CDs I
    > >> have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq "Recovery CD".
    > >>
    > >> The XP Load is requesting that I put in the old Windows ME CD to
    > >> verify that I can load the Windows XP Upgrade OS, but I don't have
    > >> the CD. What can I do? Anybody have this problem before?
    > >
    > > Believe Compaq sells replacements as "losing" the restore CD is quite
    > > common. The website address is self-explanatory.
    >
    > Why would the OP need another Restore CD?
    >
    > "The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq 'Recovery
    > CD'."
    >
    > And heard people complain that once they bought a new Hard Drive the
    > Compaq recovery CD wouldn't work.
    >
    > Plus a clean install is much better idea to do than upgrading over a
    > restored Compaq install, especially ME, the worst OS ever to come out of
    > Redmond.
    >
    > Easiest way to get to use the XP Upgrade, is to "borrow" a friend's
    > Windows install CD, Win95 or later.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Being "old school" with Compaqs and upgrades, my concern was with device
    drivers for the Compaq. The recovery CD has these. A generic windows
    install CD may not. Thus my suggestion.

    Mine was not meant to lessen or degrade your reply if that was/is your reply
    intent.

    And, shame on both of us. The XP upgrade install may not work on this
    platform with a generic XP upgrade CD anyway. Compaq sells their version of
    an XP upgrade for exactly that reason for some of their models.

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:%23$5f6EmfFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Lil' Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> "New Hard Drive Installation" <New Hard Drive
    >>> Installation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>> Believe Compaq sells replacements as "losing" the restore CD is
    >>> quite common. The website address is self-explanatory.
    >>
    >> Why would the OP need another Restore CD?
    >>
    >> "The only CDs I have are the XP Upgrade CD and the Comqaq 'Recovery
    >> CD'."
    >>
    >> And heard people complain that once they bought a new Hard Drive the
    >> Compaq recovery CD wouldn't work.
    >>
    >> Plus a clean install is much better idea to do than upgrading over a
    >> restored Compaq install, especially ME, the worst OS ever to come
    >> out of Redmond.
    >>
    >> Easiest way to get to use the XP Upgrade, is to "borrow" a friend's
    >> Windows install CD, Win95 or later.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
    >>

    > Being "old school" with Compaqs and upgrades, my concern was with
    > device drivers for the Compaq. The recovery CD has these. A generic
    > windows install CD may not. Thus my suggestion.
    >
    > Mine was not meant to lessen or degrade your reply if that was/is
    > your reply intent.
    >
    > And, shame on both of us. The XP upgrade install may not work on this
    > platform with a generic XP upgrade CD anyway. Compaq sells their
    > version of an XP upgrade for exactly that reason for some of their
    > models.

    As I said, ". . . . a clean install is much better idea to do than
    upgrading over a
    restored Compaq install . . . ."

    --
    Peace!