HERO help please - newbie making 250 character

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Hi Group:

I'm starting my very first foray into the HERO system, and I'm having
some trouble assigning my points... not knowing how important an extra
point here or there will mean to the game.

My character is:

Amadeus Stryker
Known as "Wolf"

History: Special Forces, retired - took job as Security (special
operative) at "MaxCorp". (Thinking might be a government agent
"plant" inside MaxCorp looking for evidence of treason).
(Base character must be kinda tough, kinda sharp, reasonable stats for
a decent black ops soldier.)

THEN... one day while at MaxCorp's top secret weapons development lab,
one of the scientists asks Amadeus for assistance -- just "try this on
for size"... It is a harness of sorts, belt with suspenders
basically, almost like the seat belts worn by race car drivers, only
thicker material. Once the latch clicks closed, the aparatus "comes
alive" and begins burrowing into Wolf with snake-like tendrils....

Without going into too much detail, the backstory is that the harness
was found at an alien crash site, the alien was either dead or near
death, either way removing the harness ensured it was dead. Part of
the role play is the character trying to figure out what this thing
is, initially trying to get it off but eventually realizing its
benefits. Depending on play, it might remain friendly or it might try
to take over. I figured it should be played like two people trying to
learn how to communicate.

The harness is basically an AI symbiote of alien technology, and it
interfaces with other alien tech elements - it would be required to
pilot the powered armor that might show up somewhere along the
adventure, or the ship itself, or other attachments...

The harness should give the characteristics of absolute time sense,
absolute location sense, photographic memory, maybe x-ray or infrared
vision, strength, dexterity, healing and survival type powers.

A key feature is the formation of metallic claws and climbing spurs at
the ankles... but I'm not trying to be Wolverine per se.

I was looking in the book at some pooling of powers --- like if you
fly you can't shoot at the same time... I thought that might be
reasonable. I like the idea of having flight capability, but if you
can only do one thing at a time, then a glider cape might be REALLY
handy.

I figure he will be hunted by MaxCorp as the AI momentarially "took
over" and killed the scientist and escaped before Wolf came to in a
field somewhere outside the compound... It wasn't pleased being
removed from its host.

So... my problem is --- not knowing how to play the game yet, how do I
best spend points to bring this character to life?

I think we have 200 base points and 50 disadvantage points to play
with.

I was going to make the AI "reset" in the presence of say a strong
magnetic pulse, so the powers could flake out for a few minutes.

I really like the idea of the AI slowly rebuilding the character's
physiology such that psionic powers slowly emerge and such.

I figured the first "power" the character will "discover" is the force
field --- while under attack an instinctive raising of the arm and
hunching somehow triggers the force shield and whatever threat gets
deflected or absorbed.

I haven't decided on the power supply or recharging requirements yet.

SO ---

Any of you experts out there care to give me a hand?
Could you propose where the numbers ought to fall in order to make
this character? You understand the newbie dilemma of wanting
EVERYTHING in their character. I'm hoping for some advice on
appropriate and useful choices here, based on the personae outlined
above.

I hoped to save a few points for late blooming powers (basically as I
figure out what would be really handy), but I might have to just play
the character as if he doesn't know he can do those things yet.
Whatever --- advice is welcome.

Best regards,

Wolfgang
13 answers Last reply
More about hero newbie making character
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "wolfgang" <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Group:
    >
    > I'm starting my very first foray into the HERO system, and I'm having
    > some trouble assigning my points... not knowing how important an extra
    > point here or there will mean to the game.

    You should talk to your GM about this.

    He'll know his campaign the best, and what would be most appropriate.

    Geoff.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:25:27 +1000, "Geoff Watson"
    <geoffwatson@ihug.com.au> wrote:

    >"wolfgang" <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Group:
    >>
    >> I'm starting my very first foray into the HERO system, and I'm having
    >> some trouble assigning my points... not knowing how important an extra
    >> point here or there will mean to the game.
    >>
    >You should talk to your GM about this.
    >
    >He'll know his campaign the best, and what would be most appropriate.
    >
    >Geoff.

    Thanks Geoff, but what I was looking for was help with the initial
    character setup phase before having the GM review it.

    Otherwise I'll do it kinda randomly, being an amateur and all
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "wolfgang" <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Group:
    >
    > History: Special Forces, retired - took job as Security (special
    > operative) at "MaxCorp". (Thinking might be a government agent
    > "plant" inside MaxCorp looking for evidence of treason).
    > (Base character must be kinda tough, kinda sharp, reasonable stats for
    > a decent black ops soldier.)

    Start with his "human" character. Pick high stats to reflect that he's tough
    and smart. Remember that 15 is "twice human average" and 20 is "human
    maximum". I would put things like CON, DEX and STR at 15-20, other stats at
    10-15. There's a "game mechanics" trick that stats of 13 or 18 are efficient
    because of rounding in calculations for secondary stats and skills. Whether
    you want to take advantage of this is up to you.

    Buy Speed 4, human maximum. Seriously, it's the most important stat in the
    game and you'll regret it if you don't get it as high as you can.

    Then buy a martial arts package. "Commando Training" seems obvious for the
    character. The full package will cost you about 25 points but give you a
    very flexible set of attacks.

    Then look down the skill list and buy everything that seems appropriate.
    Don't forget things like "Knowledge Skill - Military" and "Professional
    Skill - Soldier". Keep all the skills at their basic level -- realistically,
    some should be raised higher but you're already running out of points and
    you haven't got your powers yet.

    Skip "Perks" and "Talents". Come back to them later if by some miracle you
    have points left after buying powers.

    The problem is, your character concept really *has* to have a good skill
    list, but you also want powers. If you drop the skills and stats in order to
    afford the powers, people are going to start wondering if he was really in
    the special forces or if he's just pretending... see what I mean? It depends
    how realistically you want to model the concept.

    > The harness should give the characteristics of absolute time sense,
    > absolute location sense, photographic memory, maybe x-ray or infrared
    > vision,

    Buy these forst as they are fixed costs and will show you what you have left
    for the others.

    > strength, dexterity, healing and

    Buy whatever you have points left over for.

    > survival type powers.

    There are various ones listed under "Life Support"

    > A key feature is the formation of metallic claws and climbing spurs at
    > the ankles... but I'm not trying to be Wolverine per se.

    Two powers: Clinging and Killing Attack (HTH). Don't go wild with the
    killing attack dice -- they're expensive so you can't afford much. But a big
    knife only does 1d, a sword probably only 2d, so don;t worry if that's all
    you can afford. Your strength will get added in to the killing attack damage
    anyway.

    > I was looking in the book at some pooling of powers --- like if you
    > fly you can't shoot at the same time... I thought that might be
    > reasonable. I like the idea of having flight capability, but if you
    > can only do one thing at a time, then a glider cape might be REALLY
    > handy.

    You want flight and energy blast as well as all the other stuff? (And
    further down you mention force field, too!) You're going to end up spread
    really thin and not be very good at anything. Think hard about whether you
    want to be a weak but versatile jack-of-all-trades or whether you want to be
    GOOD at something.

    > I was going to make the AI "reset" in the presence of say a strong
    > magnetic pulse, so the powers could flake out for a few minutes.

    Useful for making the powers cheaper -- all the powers would be affected so
    you can apply the limitation to everything. But as a GM I wouldn't give much
    of a limitation to this, probably only -1/4, because, honestly, how often
    are you going to be hit by a string magnetic pulse?

    > I haven't decided on the power supply or recharging requirements yet.

    END reserve is always good for this sort of thing. If it's big enough, you
    can also afford to buy some of the powers with "costs extra END" limitation,
    showing that some are more taxing than others. This might be better for you
    than the multipower idea -- so you can, for example, fly and energy blast at
    the same time but it *really* runs down your energy so you probably wouldn't
    (but would have the option if desparate).

    > You understand the newbie dilemma of wanting
    > EVERYTHING in their character.

    Yes, and it's really not a great idea. Whenever my players have gone for an
    "everything" character, they have ended up frustrated because they can't do
    *anything* well enough. Imagine what it's like being the team's second-best
    fighter and second-best flier and second-best energy blaster, etc. When
    would you ever get to do something if there's always someone else who can do
    it better?

    > I hoped to save a few points for late blooming powers (basically as I
    > figure out what would be really handy), but I might have to just play
    > the character as if he doesn't know he can do those things yet.
    > Whatever --- advice is welcome.

    You're going to run out of points. You're not even going to be able to do
    everything you've already listed.

    --
    David Meadows
    Heroes: www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts/

    Might not want to start with too high on the Int or Ego scores. Let's face
    it, anyone who falls for 'just try this on for size' ...

    > Start with his "human" character. Pick high stats to reflect that he's
    tough
    > and smart. Remember that 15 is "twice human average" and 20 is "human
    > maximum". I would put things like CON, DEX and STR at 15-20, other stats
    at
    > 10-15. There's a "game mechanics" trick that stats of 13 or 18 are
    efficient
    > because of rounding in calculations for secondary stats and skills.
    Whether
    > you want to take advantage of this is up to you.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED!!!

    Thanks much!!!

    I think I might want too much for the character being psionic and have
    energy blast capability... That or he'll be too weak in each.

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:46:10 +0100, "David Meadows"
    <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

> [...]
    >(but would have the option if desparate).
    >

    >> You understand the newbie dilemma of wanting
    >> EVERYTHING in their character.
    >
    >Yes, and it's really not a great idea. Whenever my players have gone for an
    >"everything" character, they have ended up frustrated because they can't do
    >*anything* well enough. Imagine what it's like being the team's second-best
    >fighter and second-best flier and second-best energy blaster, etc. When
    >would you ever get to do something if there's always someone else who can do
    >it better?
    >

    >> I hoped to save a few points for late blooming powers (basically as I
    >> figure out what would be really handy), but I might have to just play
    >> the character as if he doesn't know he can do those things yet.
    >> Whatever --- advice is welcome.
    >
    >You're going to run out of points. You're not even going to be able to do
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    >You're going to run out of points. You're not even going to be able to do
    >everything you've already listed.

    So... Since I've never played before, where is it typically better to
    invest (other than max speed?) Skills or Powers?

    The trade-off issue is boggling my mind - and I don't know how
    important what will be for the game. I presumed flight would be
    _really_ useful, but maybe just being able to hangglide will do?

    For some of this, it really depends on the GM, but what kind of GM
    would give that much insight into the forthcoming campaign?

    I liked the concept of developing psionics - that sounded cool and fun
    to play and maybe important to the party... but just being able to
    blast stuff is good too...

    In D&D, first level fighters are most powerful, first level mages are
    weak... 10th level mages can usually kick a 10th level fighter's ass.
    Is there similar insight into Hero System?

    Regards,

    Me.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 00:51:19 -0400, wolfgang <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com>
    wrote:

    >So... Since I've never played before, where is it typically better to
    >invest (other than max speed?) Skills or Powers?

    It's better to invest in what makes your character "your character"';
    stick to the initial character conception.

    >The trade-off issue is boggling my mind - and I don't know how
    >important what will be for the game. I presumed flight would be
    >_really_ useful, but maybe just being able to hangglide will do?

    er. Flight can be nice, but if it doesn't fit in with what the
    character is about, don't get it. If you want some Flight "just in
    case" you might be able to get away with the lowest amount legal
    (assuming a minimum cost requirement). It would allow you to reach
    that top shelf, slowly scale up a wall, things like that. Only get it
    for combat if you want to attack from a distance or do a Move By/Move
    Through.

    >For some of this, it really depends on the GM, but what kind of GM
    >would give that much insight into the forthcoming campaign?

    What *has* the GM told you about the upcoming game?

    >I liked the concept of developing psionics - that sounded cool and fun
    >to play and maybe important to the party... but just being able to
    >blast stuff is good too...

    You should be able to develop whatever powers you want, within reason.
    And you could have a physical Energy Blast based on your psionic
    powers (special effect). But you probably won't have enough points
    for more than 2 attacks (although you could put them into a "Psychic"
    Multipower to defray the costs).

    >In D&D, first level fighters are most powerful, first level mages are
    >weak... 10th level mages can usually kick a 10th level fighter's ass.
    >Is there similar insight into Hero System?

    No, since there is no class system, per se. Keep in mind that you
    could think of some "character classes" in a superhero game: Brick,
    Mentalist, Blaster, Skulker, Skilled Normal... but you seem to want
    to have aspects of most or all of those.

    Refine your character conception. Do you know anything about what the
    other characters are like?

    -- pseudosoldier
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "pseudosoldier" <pseudosoldier@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 00:51:19 -0400, wolfgang <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In D&D, first level fighters are most powerful, first level mages are
    > >weak... 10th level mages can usually kick a 10th level fighter's ass.
    > >Is there similar insight into Hero System?
    > >
    > No, since there is no class system, per se. Keep in mind that you
    > could think of some "character classes" in a superhero game: Brick,
    > Mentalist, Blaster, Skulker, Skilled Normal... but you seem to want
    > to have aspects of most or all of those.

    Well, there is a *similar* effect. A character with 10 points in a martial
    arts style is going to be a competent fighter, while a character with 10
    points in a mental power is going to be useless at using that power. But add
    another 90 points to the martial arts and, sure, he's going to be
    unstoppable in hand-to-hand, but a 100 point mentalist is going to fry his
    brain before he can get close.

    As a general guideline, powers are feeble at low points where skills can
    still be used effectively. As points get higher, most powers get better in
    an open-ended progression while skills effectively plateau very quickly.

    --
    David Meadows
    Heroes: www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts/
    A comic book -- without the pictures
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:33:22 -0400, wolfgang <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi Group:
    >
    >I'm starting my very first foray into the HERO system, and I'm having
    >some trouble assigning my points... not knowing how important an extra
    >point here or there will mean to the game.
    >
    >My character is:
    >
    >Amadeus Stryker
    >Known as "Wolf"
    >
    >History: Special Forces, retired - took job as Security (special
    >operative) at "MaxCorp". (Thinking might be a government agent
    >"plant" inside MaxCorp looking for evidence of treason).
    >(Base character must be kinda tough, kinda sharp, reasonable stats for
    >a decent black ops soldier.)
    >
    >THEN... one day while at MaxCorp's top secret weapons development lab,
    >one of the scientists asks Amadeus for assistance -- just "try this on
    >for size"...

    So the scientist wanted to see whether it would kill a human host
    before stealing it for himself?

    It is a harness of sorts, belt with suspenders
    >basically, almost like the seat belts worn by race car drivers, only
    >thicker material. Once the latch clicks closed, the aparatus "comes
    >alive" and begins burrowing into Wolf with snake-like tendrils....
    >
    >Without going into too much detail, the backstory is that the harness
    >was found at an alien crash site, the alien was either dead or near
    >death, either way removing the harness ensured it was dead. Part of
    >the role play is the character trying to figure out what this thing
    >is, initially trying to get it off but eventually realizing its
    >benefits. Depending on play, it might remain friendly or it might try
    >to take over. I figured it should be played like two people trying to
    >learn how to communicate.
    >
    >The harness is basically an AI symbiote of alien technology, and it
    >interfaces with other alien tech elements - it would be required to
    >pilot the powered armor that might show up somewhere along the
    >adventure, or the ship itself, or other attachments...
    >
    >The harness should give the characteristics of absolute time sense,
    >absolute location sense, photographic memory, maybe x-ray or infrared
    >vision, strength, dexterity, healing and survival type powers.
    >
    >A key feature is the formation of metallic claws and climbing spurs at
    >the ankles... but I'm not trying to be Wolverine per se.
    >
    >I was looking in the book at some pooling of powers --- like if you
    >fly you can't shoot at the same time... I thought that might be
    >reasonable. I like the idea of having flight capability, but if you
    >can only do one thing at a time, then a glider cape might be REALLY
    >handy.

    >I figure he will be hunted by MaxCorp as the AI momentarially "took
    >over" and killed the scientist and escaped before Wolf came to in a
    >field somewhere outside the compound... It wasn't pleased being
    >removed from its host.
    >

    >So... my problem is --- not knowing how to play the game yet, how do I
    >best spend points to bring this character to life?
    >
    >I think we have 200 base points and 50 disadvantage points to play
    >with.
    >
    >I was going to make the AI "reset" in the presence of say a strong
    >magnetic pulse, so the powers could flake out for a few minutes.
    >
    >I really like the idea of the AI slowly rebuilding the character's
    >physiology such that psionic powers slowly emerge and such.

    Stop. What kind of sense does that make? What's the function
    of this harness? What was it intended to do for it's original wearer?

    Is it combat armour? A hostile environment survival suit? A psychic
    amplifier? A man-machine interface tool? And how does it do it?
    It seems unlikely to me that such a harness would be designed to
    rewrite its wearer's genetic code on the fly. The alien who wore
    it already had his physiology and probably wasn't trying to become
    something else.

    >Any of you experts out there care to give me a hand?
    >Could you propose where the numbers ought to fall in order to make
    >this character?

    Don't start with numbers. Start with the character. You need a clear
    idea of what the character does and doesn't do.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Stop. What kind of sense does that make? What's the function
    of this harness? What was it intended to do for it's original wearer?

    In my fantasy, the harness was both an interface between the
    biological entity that was the alien and the silicon (or whatever)
    entity that was the ship (as well as other alien stuff, like weapons
    or armor or vehicles). Not to rip off Star Trek directly, I was
    thinking a little on the lines of Borg technology with the nanobots
    and metallic filaments running around building a better beast.

    I think my problem is that I have enough points to build the initial
    character only, not necessarialy the "new improved" hero-type.
    I fear that the hero vision I had requires about 800 points, not
    including weapons and such. I had thought the harness would allow
    interface and control of powered armor too... but I'd have to find it
    through adventuring.

    Is it combat armour?

    Not initially. I was thinking in terms of some side-benefits of its
    psy-amplification, perhaps because the gain is wrong for the creature
    wearing it... maybe it is "just" an interface to the alien, but it is
    a huge amplifier to a human... kinda like superman on earth...
    However, I _really_ liked the idea of having a shield of somesort...
    I hate having my ass handed to me.

    A hostile environment survival suit?
    Sort of - the vision was that it would "take care of" an entity on
    long term space missions, thereby helping with climate control,
    disease control, radiation, etc...

    A psychic amplifier? A man-machine interface tool?

    Absolutely.

    And how does it do it?

    Kinda like Spawn... the vision was that on intimate contact, it
    injects itself into the wearer, sending tendrils and nano-tech
    thingies into the new "partner", and administering some anesthesia and
    medical repairs along the way so that the joining doesn't kill the
    host.

    It seems unlikely to me that such a harness would be designed to
    rewrite its wearer's genetic code on the fly.

    Spiderman got his genetic code re-written by a spider. Think of this
    as a less radioactive AI spider. Or maybe it has gamma rays in it.
    Maybe its that mutagenic thing Magneto had in X-Men.

    Many of the heroes are generated through an accident of somesort.
    This "accident" is that the harness wasn't designed for humans, and
    maybe it is trying to heal the "wrong" dna it finds... Maybe
    eventually the character will turn into an alien. Maybe he turns into
    something new entirely.

    I figured having this "What the hell is this thing" going for me would
    make it a more interesting role play. Maybe could even call it a
    disadvantage - stressing over how to get it off, but being strangely
    attracted to it...

    The alien who wore it already had his physiology and probably wasn't
    trying to become something else.

    True that. Then again... where is the fun in that?

    >Any of you experts out there care to give me a hand?
    >Could you propose where the numbers ought to fall in order to make
    >this character?

    Don't start with numbers. Start with the character.

    I did -- or at least I thought I did. I was trying to... but I
    realized that I no way could do all that with 250 points.

    You need a clear idea of what the character does and doesn't do.

    Yes. I need to figure out which of all the cool things I want him to
    be able to do I will settle for...

    I'm leaning towards pushing the man/machine interface angle and
    downplaying the psy angle. Thinking about making the initial
    character really strong, then have the harness give him photographic
    memory, computer interface and some healing capabilities. Maybe the
    metallic cat-claws, just because I seem to really like that idea.
    Maybe have the harness amp-up the dexterity a bit. I was thinking
    about making it do dex and str -- but only on demand and with
    endurance cost, to make it cheaper. (as I'm slowly learning how this
    stuff works)

    I'm hoping to not take any significant disadvantages and maybe even
    save a few points... then after I've played a few sessions, I can
    better decide what features activate. I mean, if I'm getting blasted
    to bits every session, maybe I oughtta get either a shield or a
    blaster for myself... I've noticed that plain old guns don't do so
    much in this world - compared with energy blasts and the like.

    I think a big part of my trouble comes from only having the "Sidekick"
    book and not the full player book. That and complete lack of
    familiarity of the game...

    Can any of you point me at a source for example characters?
    Maybe that will help me gain perspective.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:39:39 -0400, wolfgang <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com>
    wrote:

    >Stop. What kind of sense does that make? What's the function
    >of this harness? What was it intended to do for it's original wearer?
    >

    >In my fantasy, the harness was both an interface between the
    >biological entity that was the alien and the silicon (or whatever)
    >entity that was the ship (as well as other alien stuff, like weapons
    >or armor or vehicles). Not to rip off Star Trek directly, I was
    >thinking a little on the lines of Borg technology with the nanobots
    >and metallic filaments running around building a better beast.

    So what do psychic powers have to do with that concept? Ditch
    the psychic powers and go with your core concept. The metallic
    filaments give you a reason to have increased durability, reflexes
    and strength and you shoot them out to interface with and take over
    machinery. Maybe get a bit of Stretching and the ability to use
    the razor-sharp filaments to slash things as necessary. Add the
    computer, and get a "Watched by my computer" limitation
    and you should be done.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    David Johnston wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:39:39 -0400, wolfgang <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Stop. What kind of sense does that make? What's the function
    >>of this harness? What was it intended to do for it's original wearer?
    >>

    >>In my fantasy, the harness was both an interface between the
    >>biological entity that was the alien and the silicon (or whatever)
    >>entity that was the ship (as well as other alien stuff, like weapons
    >>or armor or vehicles). Not to rip off Star Trek directly, I was
    >>thinking a little on the lines of Borg technology with the nanobots
    >>and metallic filaments running around building a better beast.
    >
    > So what do psychic powers have to do with that concept? Ditch
    > the psychic powers and go with your core concept. ...

    Alien psychic amplifiers are a mainstay of certain sub-genres of sci-fi.
    Personally I don't see a problem with it here. It's not a great copy
    of the Borg concept, but it's not an entirely baseless mechanic.

    > ... The metallic
    > filaments give you a reason to have increased durability, reflexes
    > and strength and you shoot them out to interface with and take over
    > machinery. Maybe get a bit of Stretching and the ability to use
    > the razor-sharp filaments to slash things as necessary. Add the
    > computer, and get a "Watched by my computer" limitation
    > and you should be done.

    What is the disadvantage? Is the computer trying to stop him from doing
    something he's likely to want to do? Does it control his decisions in
    ways that the /player/ has no control over?

    A disadvantage that doesn't affect you isn't worth anything. DNPCs get
    themselves in trouble, Watchers interfere, etc. And pity the poor fool
    who takes Code Against Killing and accidentally knocks a non-flying
    enemy off the top of a skyscraper.

    --
    Corey Murtagh
    The Electric Monk

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 10:59:59 +1200, Corey Murtagh
    <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote:

    >David Johnston wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:39:39 -0400, wolfgang <wolfgangNOSPAM@juno.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Stop. What kind of sense does that make? What's the function
    >>>of this harness? What was it intended to do for it's original wearer?
    >>>

    >>>In my fantasy, the harness was both an interface between the
    >>>biological entity that was the alien and the silicon (or whatever)
    >>>entity that was the ship (as well as other alien stuff, like weapons
    >>>or armor or vehicles). Not to rip off Star Trek directly, I was
    >>>thinking a little on the lines of Borg technology with the nanobots
    >>>and metallic filaments running around building a better beast.
    >>
    >> So what do psychic powers have to do with that concept? Ditch
    >> the psychic powers and go with your core concept. ...
    >
    >Alien psychic amplifiers are a mainstay of certain sub-genres of sci-fi.

    There's nothing wrong with an alien psychic amplifier in itself.
    But he needs to settle on one concept, not glue three or four
    different ones together .
    >> ... The metallic
    >> filaments give you a reason to have increased durability, reflexes
    >> and strength and you shoot them out to interface with and take over
    >> machinery. Maybe get a bit of Stretching and the ability to use
    >> the razor-sharp filaments to slash things as necessary. Add the
    >> computer, and get a "Watched by my computer" limitation
    >> and you should be done.
    >
    >What is the disadvantage? Is the computer trying to stop him from doing
    >something he's likely to want to do? Does it control his decisions in
    >ways that the /player/ has no control over?

    He said as much. The computer takes over his body when it's pissed.

Video Games