SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick Repairs?

I bought a MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick several years ago and
about 1 year into owning it (and after having played no more than 20 games
with it) I came home to find the thing hot to the touch and unresponsive. I
unplugged it from the wall to let it cool down, but when I tried to plug it
in again--nothing. Not even when I plug it into the USB port does it light
up. I spent many many dollars on the joystick and it worked great... for a
while. So my question is,
does anybody know of how I can go about getting my joystick fixed? I tried
to email Microsoft about it but apparently they no longer support Sidewinder
Joysticks?? I'm not sure that I'd trust a local repair shop to go prying the
thing open just to find that replacement parts are unavailable so... does
anybody have suggestions?
4 answers Last reply
More about sidewinder force feedback joystick repairs

    Hi,

    What is the cost of a new rumble/feedback stick?
    If it's no longer under warrenty, wouldn't it be a
    lot easier and less expensive to replace it instead?

    P.S.: If you're not already doing so, make sure
    to use a power spike/surge protector or a UPS
    since it seems you leave your PC on all day. :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "T R S" <T R S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C879E9C-A7DC-4BE0-B7C6-66C196C38959@microsoft.com...
    |I bought a MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick several years ago and
    | about 1 year into owning it (and after having played no more than 20 games
    | with it) I came home to find the thing hot to the touch and unresponsive. I
    | unplugged it from the wall to let it cool down, but when I tried to plug it
    | in again--nothing. Not even when I plug it into the USB port does it light
    | up. I spent many many dollars on the joystick and it worked great... for a
    | while. So my question is,
    | does anybody know of how I can go about getting my joystick fixed? I tried
    | to email Microsoft about it but apparently they no longer support Sidewinder
    | Joysticks?? I'm not sure that I'd trust a local repair shop to go prying the
    | thing open just to find that replacement parts are unavailable so... does
    | anybody have suggestions?

    Hi T R S,

    You should try this link and see if they will help you.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246 I don't know
    what the status of that support avenue is anymore since that has been around
    for some time, but the page says last review was Oct 15, 2004 so I would
    think you still have a good chance. I have used it in the past to report
    mice that had stopped functioning and they just sent me a new mouse.

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    "Jimmy S." <nosp@m.pls> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > What is the cost of a new rumble/feedback stick?
    > If it's no longer under warrenty, wouldn't it be a
    > lot easier and less expensive to replace it instead?
    >
    > P.S.: If you're not already doing so, make sure
    > to use a power spike/surge protector or a UPS
    > since it seems you leave your PC on all day. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    > rights.
    >
    > "T R S" <T R S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I bought a MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick several years ago and
    > | about 1 year into owning it (and after having played no more than 20
    > games
    > | with it) I came home to find the thing hot to the touch and
    > unresponsive. I
    > | unplugged it from the wall to let it cool down, but when I tried to plug
    > it
    > | in again--nothing. Not even when I plug it into the USB port does it
    > light
    > | up. I spent many many dollars on the joystick and it worked great...
    > for a
    > | while. So my question is,
    > | does anybody know of how I can go about getting my joystick fixed? I
    > tried
    > | to email Microsoft about it but apparently they no longer support
    > Sidewinder
    > | Joysticks?? I'm not sure that I'd trust a local repair shop to go
    > prying the
    > | thing open just to find that replacement parts are unavailable so...
    > does
    > | anybody have suggestions?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hey Joshua,

    OMG You're a saint. I followed the link, gave the phone number a call and
    was able to get ahold of a Customer Service Rep w/in 3 minutes. The lady
    simply asked for me to photocopy the bottom of the joystick, send it in along
    with a RN# and that they'd get to work on replacing it! I'd almost given up
    on ever having my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 ever again but thanks to you
    (and Microsoft of course) it would appear that I'll be able to enjoy the bone
    rattling force feedback action once again.

    Thanks a ton!
    T R S

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hi T R S,
    >
    > You should try this link and see if they will help you.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246 I don't know
    > what the status of that support avenue is anymore since that has been around
    > for some time, but the page says last review was Oct 15, 2004 so I would
    > think you still have a good chance. I have used it in the past to report
    > mice that had stopped functioning and they just sent me a new mouse.
    >
    > Joshua Smith
    > OpenGL Test Lab
    > Microsoft
    > -----

    > "Jimmy S." <nosp@m.pls> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > What is the cost of a new rumble/feedback stick?
    > > If it's no longer under warrenty, wouldn't it be a
    > > lot easier and less expensive to replace it instead?
    > >
    > > P.S.: If you're not already doing so, make sure
    > > to use a power spike/surge protector or a UPS
    > > since it seems you leave your PC on all day. :-)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >
    > > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > > MS Assisted Support:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    > > rights.
    > >
    > > "T R S" <T R S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > |I bought a MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick several years ago and
    > > | about 1 year into owning it (and after having played no more than 20
    > > games
    > > | with it) I came home to find the thing hot to the touch and
    > > unresponsive. I
    > > | unplugged it from the wall to let it cool down, but when I tried to plug
    > > it
    > > | in again--nothing. Not even when I plug it into the USB port does it
    > > light
    > > | up. I spent many many dollars on the joystick and it worked great...
    > > for a
    > > | while. So my question is,
    > > | does anybody know of how I can go about getting my joystick fixed? I
    > > tried
    > > | to email Microsoft about it but apparently they no longer support
    > > Sidewinder
    > > | Joysticks?? I'm not sure that I'd trust a local repair shop to go
    > > prying the
    > > | thing open just to find that replacement parts are unavailable so...
    > > does
    > > | anybody have suggestions?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    T R S,

    Excellent to hear that. The SW FF2 is a great stick.I am glad you'll be
    in business again soon.

    Take care,
    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----

    > Hey Joshua,
    >
    > OMG You're a saint. I followed the link, gave the phone number a call and
    > was able to get ahold of a Customer Service Rep w/in 3 minutes. The lady
    > simply asked for me to photocopy the bottom of the joystick, send it in
    > along
    > with a RN# and that they'd get to work on replacing it! I'd almost given
    > up
    > on ever having my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 ever again but thanks to you
    > (and Microsoft of course) it would appear that I'll be able to enjoy the
    > bone
    > rattling force feedback action once again.
    >
    > Thanks a ton!
    > T R S
    >
    > "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi T R S,
    >>
    >> You should try this link and see if they will help you.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246 I don't
    >> know
    >> what the status of that support avenue is anymore since that has been
    >> around
    >> for some time, but the page says last review was Oct 15, 2004 so I would
    >> think you still have a good chance. I have used it in the past to report
    >> mice that had stopped functioning and they just sent me a new mouse.
    >>
    >> Joshua Smith
    >> OpenGL Test Lab
    >> Microsoft
    >> -----
    >>
    >> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    >> rights
    >>
    >> "Jimmy S." <nosp@m.pls> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > What is the cost of a new rumble/feedback stick?
    >> > If it's no longer under warrenty, wouldn't it be a
    >> > lot easier and less expensive to replace it instead?
    >> >
    >> > P.S.: If you're not already doing so, make sure
    >> > to use a power spike/surge protector or a UPS
    >> > since it seems you leave your PC on all day. :-)
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >> >
    >> > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site:
    >> > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >> > MS Assisted Support:
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >> > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    >> > rights.
    >> > _________________________________________________________
    >> >
    >> > "T R S" <T R S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > and