wrentham

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
hi,

I've just purchased a MSI KM2M combo Motherboard along with an Athlon XP 2200 (266FSB) CPU and DDR PC2700 256MB RAM. When I switch on, the fan spins and PC seems to begin boot up but then powers off just as it beeps once - no video display. I think it's a memory/CPU compatability issue but I'm confused in what memory I should get. The Motherboard has a jumper for either 100 or 133mhz speeds. Can anyone recommend the correct memory. How does the FSB on my CPU relate to the DDR memory or Motherboard FSB settings?

many thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Beeps once and powers off? There are several things I can think of, but the first thing I'd check is to make sure the CPU fan is connected to the proper header. That's because BIOS will kick the power off if it doesn't get an RPM signal from the CPU fan.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>