Dumb question about dual channel

Niroth

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004
I'm upgrading my cpu to the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard which features the "dual channel" support. I was under the impression that this is simply a mobo feature but have seen some RAM listed as "dual channel RAM". I just wanted to confirm that I while it supports dual channel I can still use my old "single channel" memory. I've got 784 of PC2700 that I am going to be using for a couple months till I can buy some 3200 at X-mas :)

Thanks a lot

G

no problemo
Dual channel memory is actually 2 sticks that have been tested together and that will work well together(usually from the same batch...)

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

G

no problemo
Dual channel memory is actually 2 sticks that have been tested together and that will work well together(usually from the same batch...)

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dual Channel is a feature of the chipset. For most chipsets it means two 64-bit modules are made parallel for a 128-bit pathway, but for YOUR chipset is means 2 separate channels are used with stagered timings to reduce latencies.

Twin packs of memory are standard modules that have been tested together. This used to be somewhat important back when PC3200 was barely stable on many boards in single channel mode, but today's memory is a bit better than it was way back a year ago.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, you DON'T need pairs of modules for Dual Channel mode on THAT chipset. The nForce2 allows Dual Channel mode with 3 unmatched DIMMs. Their definition of "Dual Channel" is simply different than Intel's, it could more accurately be called "twin channel" because it refers to 2 independant channels with staggered timing for reduced access time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Random

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does that mean I can plug a 512mb stick into my A7N8X in addition to the two 256mb's, and still use dual channel?

If so, that would be cheaper than buying two 512mb stick :D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Correct, because nVidia's definition of "dual channel" is different from everyone elses. The standard definition for "dual channel" refers to a pair of 64-bit modules running as a single 128-bit bus, but nVidia's version on the nForce2 is simply 2 channels accessed seperately but simultaniously.

Random

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks a bunch dude, you just saved a poor chap a memory stick :)

I think I read somewhere that it didnt really help anyway, since the bottleneck was someplace else. Not sure on this info though, and it doesnt really matter all that much (cant fix that one).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, nVidia actually does a couple things with the two separate memory channels being addressed simultaniously, but the grand total between them is a very small gain. That's because the AMD processors have a DDR bus themselves, at the same speed (or slower) than the DDR memory. It's also the reason why P4's prefer dual channel while XP's don't care: The P4 uses a QDR bus.