Can't Disable Balloon Tips despite registry modification

Hi All:
I have Win XP SP2 on a single user machine with full administrator
privileges. I tried to disable balloon tips by:
1. Going to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

& modifying EnableBalloonTips to have a value of 1. I rebooted.
2. Used Doug Knox's vbs file to do the same.
3. Used TweakUI to do the same.

Nevertheless, I can't get rid of the balloon tips. I noticed that

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Tips

has an entry to Show with a value of 1.

What is the difference between those two entries?
Why wouldn't the first hack work?
--
Thank you in advance.

Phil
3 answers Last reply
More about disable balloon tips registry modification

    Welcome to the club.

    I could not disable balloon tips when I had XP Home and I can't disable them
    with XP Pro.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\Advanced
    Has these Value Names:
    EnableBalloonTips
    FolderContentsInfoTip
    StartButtonBalloonTip
    ShowInfoTip

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Tips
    Has this Value Name:
    Show

    These are the keys, entries and value data that need to be set to disable
    all balloon tips.

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\Advanced]
    "EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\Advanced]
    "FolderContentsInfoTip"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\tips]
    "Show"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\Advanced]
    "StartButtonBalloonTip"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Explorer\Advanced]
    "ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSMBalloonTip"=dword:00000000

    Automated edit here...
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/disableall.reg

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:42C5752B.1711523A@ZZsocal.rr.com,
    Phil Rabichow <phrabZZ@ZZsocal.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi All:
    > I have Win XP SP2 on a single user machine with full administrator
    > privileges. I tried to disable balloon tips by:
    > 1. Going to

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advance

    > & modifying EnableBalloonTips to have a value of 1. I rebooted.
    > 2. Used Doug Knox's vbs file to do the same.
    > 3. Used TweakUI to do the same.
    >
    > Nevertheless, I can't get rid of the balloon tips. I noticed that
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Tips
    >
    > has an entry to Show with a value of 1.
    >
    > What is the difference between those two entries?
    > Why wouldn't the first hack work?
    > --
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Phil

    Hi Wesley:
    Perfect!! Out of curiosity, I made the changes manually. I first changed
    all the registry values EXCEPT for

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    "NoSMBalloonTip"=dword:00000000

    Even though I did a logoff & logon, there was no change. Then I ran the reg
    file to add the above key & value.
    Then logging off & on stopped all balloons. Now only the systray icons, QL
    icons, & filenames that are too long to be seen are shown when the mouse is
    hovered above. Just what I wanted.
    --
    Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

    Phil

    Phil,

    You seem to have left me in the club all by myself. Glad you got it worked
    out. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:42C6202D.469E5696@ZZsocal.rr.com,
    Phil Rabichow <phrabZZ@ZZsocal.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wesley:
    > Perfect!! Out of curiosity, I made the changes manually. I first changed
    > all the registry values EXCEPT for

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor
    er]

    > "NoSMBalloonTip"=dword:00000000
    >
    > Even though I did a logoff & logon, there was no change. Then I ran the
    > reg file to add the above key & value.
    > Then logging off & on stopped all balloons. Now only the systray icons,
    > QL icons, & filenames that are too long to be seen are shown when the
    > mouse is hovered above. Just what I wanted.
    > --
    > Thanks again. I appreciate your time.
    >
    > Phil

Microsoft Software Registry Explorer Windows XP