Can't Disable Balloon Tips despite registry modification

Hi All:
I have Win XP SP2 on a single user machine with full administrator
privileges. I tried to disable balloon tips by:
1. Going to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

& modifying EnableBalloonTips to have a value of 1. I rebooted.
2. Used Doug Knox's vbs file to do the same.
3. Used TweakUI to do the same.

Nevertheless, I can't get rid of the balloon tips. I noticed that

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Tips

has an entry to Show with a value of 1.

What is the difference between those two entries?
Why wouldn't the first hack work?
--
Thank you in advance.

Phil

Welcome to the club.

I could not disable balloon tips when I had XP Home and I can't disable them
with XP Pro.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\Advanced
Has these Value Names:
EnableBalloonTips
FolderContentsInfoTip
StartButtonBalloonTip
ShowInfoTip

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Tips
Has this Value Name:
Show

These are the keys, entries and value data that need to be set to disable
all balloon tips.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\Advanced]
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\Advanced]
"FolderContentsInfoTip"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\tips]
"Show"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\Advanced]
"StartButtonBalloonTip"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\Advanced]
"ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer]
"NoSMBalloonTip"=dword:00000000

Automated edit here...
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/disableall.reg

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:42C5752B.1711523A@ZZsocal.rr.com,
Phil Rabichow <phrabZZ@ZZsocal.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi All:
> I have Win XP SP2 on a single user machine with full administrator
> privileges. I tried to disable balloon tips by:
> 1. Going to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advance

> & modifying EnableBalloonTips to have a value of 1. I rebooted.
> 2. Used Doug Knox's vbs file to do the same.
> 3. Used TweakUI to do the same.
>
> Nevertheless, I can't get rid of the balloon tips. I noticed that
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Tips
>
> has an entry to Show with a value of 1.
>
> What is the difference between those two entries?
> Why wouldn't the first hack work?
> --
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Phil

Hi Wesley:
Perfect!! Out of curiosity, I made the changes manually. I first changed
all the registry values EXCEPT for

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoSMBalloonTip"=dword:00000000

Even though I did a logoff & logon, there was no change. Then I ran the reg
file to add the above key & value.
Then logging off & on stopped all balloons. Now only the systray icons, QL
icons, & filenames that are too long to be seen are shown when the mouse is
hovered above. Just what I wanted.
--
Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

Phil

Phil,

You seem to have left me in the club all by myself. Glad you got it worked
out. Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:42C6202D.469E5696@ZZsocal.rr.com,
Phil Rabichow <phrabZZ@ZZsocal.rr.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wesley:
> Perfect!! Out of curiosity, I made the changes manually. I first changed
> all the registry values EXCEPT for

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor
er]

> "NoSMBalloonTip"=dword:00000000
>
> Even though I did a logoff & logon, there was no change. Then I ran the
> reg file to add the above key & value.
> Then logging off & on stopped all balloons. Now only the systray icons,
> QL icons, & filenames that are too long to be seen are shown when the
> mouse is hovered above. Just what I wanted.
> --
> Thanks again. I appreciate your time.
>
> Phil

TRENDING THREADS