Show Open Windows Doesn't Work

Hi All:
I have WinXP, SP2 & used to have Win98 2nd. If I show the desktop & then
immediately show open windows, it works. However, if I have open windows &
1. Show the Desktop
2. Open & close another folder.

Show Open Windows no longer works & if I right click the taskbar, the
command on the context menu has changed from Show Open Windows to Show
Desktop.

In Win98, I was able to
1. Show the Desktop
2. Work with folders & files (opening & closing, moving files, etc.).
3. Close all the folders that I just opened.
4. Click Show Desktop twice.
5. The original open folders would show again (assuming, of course, that
they were still minimized on the taskbar).

Question 1: Does everyone have the same experience?
Question 2: How can I regain that functionality with Show Desktop?
--
Thank you in advance.

Phil
2 answers Last reply
More about show open windows doesn work

    Phil Rabichow wrote on Fri, 1 Jul 2005:

    >Hi All:
    >I have WinXP, SP2 & used to have Win98 2nd. If I show the desktop & then
    >immediately show open windows, it works. However, if I have open windows &
    >1. Show the Desktop
    >2. Open & close another folder.
    >
    >Show Open Windows no longer works & if I right click the taskbar, the
    >command on the context menu has changed from Show Open Windows to Show
    >Desktop.
    >
    >In Win98, I was able to
    >1. Show the Desktop
    >2. Work with folders & files (opening & closing, moving files, etc.).
    >3. Close all the folders that I just opened.
    >4. Click Show Desktop twice.
    >5. The original open folders would show again (assuming, of course, that
    >they were still minimized on the taskbar).
    >
    >Question 1: Does everyone have the same experience?
    >Question 2: How can I regain that functionality with Show Desktop?
    >--
    >Thank you in advance.

    Hi Phil

    I just tried it out and you are right, so it's not just your machine.

    If you have a Windows key on your keyboard, try this:

    Windows-M to show desktop
    Windows-Shift-M to open the windows again

    This works for me even if I open and close other folders between
    minimising and re-opening the originals.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Nightowl

    Thank you so much for this response, Nightowl!! I had given up While I still
    use an "old" keyboard without a Windows key, at least I know:
    1. It's not just me. <G>
    2. I do have a wireless keyboard (that I don't like) with the Windows key.
    I'll try hooking it up & seeing if I can figure out what actual command or file
    is accessed when you press Windows+Shift+M by using SysInternals Regmon or
    Filemon. At least there might be a kludge I can figure out.
    --
    Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

    Phil

    Nightowl wrote:

    > Phil Rabichow wrote on Fri, 1 Jul 2005:
    >
    > >Hi All:
    > >I have WinXP, SP2 & used to have Win98 2nd. If I show the desktop & then
    > >immediately show open windows, it works. However, if I have open windows &
    > >1. Show the Desktop
    > >2. Open & close another folder.
    > >
    > >Show Open Windows no longer works & if I right click the taskbar, the
    > >command on the context menu has changed from Show Open Windows to Show
    > >Desktop.
    > >
    > >In Win98, I was able to
    > >1. Show the Desktop
    > >2. Work with folders & files (opening & closing, moving files, etc.).
    > >3. Close all the folders that I just opened.
    > >4. Click Show Desktop twice.
    > >5. The original open folders would show again (assuming, of course, that
    > >they were still minimized on the taskbar).
    > >
    > >Question 1: Does everyone have the same experience?
    > >Question 2: How can I regain that functionality with Show Desktop?
    > >--
    > >Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Hi Phil
    >
    > I just tried it out and you are right, so it's not just your machine.
    >
    > If you have a Windows key on your keyboard, try this:
    >
    > Windows-M to show desktop
    > Windows-Shift-M to open the windows again
    >
    > This works for me even if I open and close other folders between
    > minimising and re-opening the originals.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl

Desktops Microsoft Command Prompt Windows XP