Show Open Windows Doesn't Work

July 1, 2005 2:04:27 PM

Hi All:
I have WinXP, SP2 & used to have Win98 2nd. If I show the desktop & then
immediately show open windows, it works. However, if I have open windows &
1. Show the Desktop
2. Open & close another folder.

Show Open Windows no longer works & if I right click the taskbar, the
command on the context menu has changed from Show Open Windows to Show
Desktop.

In Win98, I was able to
1. Show the Desktop
2. Work with folders & files (opening & closing, moving files, etc.).
3. Close all the folders that I just opened.
4. Click Show Desktop twice.
5. The original open folders would show again (assuming, of course, that
they were still minimized on the taskbar).

Question 1: Does everyone have the same experience?
Question 2: How can I regain that functionality with Show Desktop?
--
Thank you in advance.

Phil

More about : show open windows work

July 4, 2005 4:40:04 PM

Phil Rabichow wrote on Fri, 1 Jul 2005:

>Hi All:
>I have WinXP, SP2 & used to have Win98 2nd. If I show the desktop & then
>immediately show open windows, it works. However, if I have open windows &
>1. Show the Desktop
>2. Open & close another folder.
>
>Show Open Windows no longer works & if I right click the taskbar, the
>command on the context menu has changed from Show Open Windows to Show
>Desktop.
>
>In Win98, I was able to
>1. Show the Desktop
>2. Work with folders & files (opening & closing, moving files, etc.).
>3. Close all the folders that I just opened.
>4. Click Show Desktop twice.
>5. The original open folders would show again (assuming, of course, that
>they were still minimized on the taskbar).
>
>Question 1: Does everyone have the same experience?
>Question 2: How can I regain that functionality with Show Desktop?
>--
>Thank you in advance.

Hi Phil

I just tried it out and you are right, so it's not just your machine.

If you have a Windows key on your keyboard, try this:

Windows-M to show desktop
Windows-Shift-M to open the windows again

This works for me even if I open and close other folders between
minimising and re-opening the originals.

Hope this helps.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Thank you so much for this response, Nightowl!! I had given up While I still
use an "old" keyboard without a Windows key, at least I know:
1. It's not just me. <G>
2. I do have a wireless keyboard (that I don't like) with the Windows key.
I'll try hooking it up & seeing if I can figure out what actual command or file
is accessed when you press Windows+Shift+M by using SysInternals Regmon or
Filemon. At least there might be a kludge I can figure out.
--
Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

Phil