Computer Locks-up while Downloading

icecoldsnake

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
My computer consistently crashes while downloading a Torrent (Don't patronize me about the merits of downloading, I'm more worried about it being a hardware fault.)

My specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6750 @2.66Ghz
Asus P5E-VM HDMI mobo
6 gb Ram (2gb Patriot DDR2-6400, 4gb Ballistix DDR2-6400)
GeForce 9500 GT (1gb DDR2)
80gb Maxtor HDD (I just ordered a 1tb Seagate Constellation to replace this)

I bought this computer from a friend a week ago, it had no HDD, so I used dban to wipe the one from my old broken system. Also, this system has been in his garage for maybe two years, and I live in Washington so we've had the full spectrum of temperature.

I am not getting BSOD, the system simply locks up and has stayed there for 20 minutes until a flipped the back switch on the console. If a sound was playing through the speakers when it happens, the sound stalls on the current note. I only have about 11gb of space of this HDD and it seems that it only happens when I cross the 10gb of free space line.

Any ideas/suggestions??

Solution
U had somewhat old comp maybe it's normal for u, but i'm not owning E6750, so i'm cannot said for sure, but it clearly apps/software problems not hardware problems

edit: u can tried to use waterfox (firefox 64bit) see if it better.. or try reinstalling firefox (beta)...
Try the simple stuff, use one stick of RAM at a time to rule that out. How are you hooking up to your network? Try an alternate method, swap Ethernet cable for Wireless dongle if you have one. Hope it's your drive and the new one will fix all...(Good choice of HDD..,._)

icecoldsnake

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I'm connected through ethernet, the system has a Linksys Wireless G card. BUT... they never could get it to work. (And that's with 2 Computer Science Engineers in the family) Also, my router is a joke, bought a new Cisco(Linksys) in December, 2 months later it randomly starts dropping WiFi, but ethernet still works... of course they have a BS customer service policy.

I'll try the RAM testing tomorrow. The Patriots were in the machine before I bought it, the Crucial Ballistix were bought on ebay and I installed them Thursday.

Edit: Also, since I'm running Win7 x64, should I try to use 1 stick of the 2gb 2 x 1gb Patriots, or just skip them and attempt one stick at a time with the Ballistix?

icecoldsnake

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Forgot to add, my cpu usage was been really high when doing... well anything really, usually I spend my time watching videos online while it downloads, but then I noticed the cpu usage was at 97-100. I can do this on my laptop, a Samsung R580 (Stock), without any problems.

Also, what am I looking for when using one stick at a time?

icecoldsnake

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Sorry for the double post

The stick started working in the first slot... I have no idea, how or why.

Occasionally I get a message in POST that reads something along the lines of overclocking failed press f1 to enter setup. I don't know much about hardware, mostly because I haven't had a desktop to work on, but I've learned all this in about a week lol. But i never set up the CPU for overclocking and I don't know how to fix it.

rdc85

Honorable
Sound like the stick not in good shape, i'm not familiar with that mobo but it seem it had auto O.C function (usually factory auto O.C not so great).

U could try to disable auto O.C in bios and manually set it.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let make sure something u now had 3 stick or 4 stick?
2 stick patriot 1 Gb, and 1 stick basilik 4 Gb? or 2 stick basilik 2 Gb? the basilik don't work on first slot (yelow)?

Try just using patriot ram see if the frezze still happen......

(Still download the mobo mannual to see if i can get some hint about it)

icecoldsnake

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

The RAM is in 2gb (2x1gb Patriot) and 4gb (2x2gb Ballistix). One of the Ballistix wouldn't let the machine complete POST, then it started working. Then... when I put it in slot 3, it said "Overclocking Failed...Press F1 to enter setup." I then removed said stick and reinserted it into slot 3 again, this time the system booted all the way up.

So I resorted to switching the Placement of the Sticks (put Ballistix where the Patriots had previously been and so forth).

I read the Article about overclocking and went into the BIOS and did the overclocking myself and have had no problems since... OTHER THAN my CPU usage is still very high when doing anything. I haven't exactly been able to figure that out yet though.

rdc85

Honorable
If u like u can tried to update the motherboard bios, but if it fine using manual setting than it not necessary....

For cpu usage high, try go to task manager, resource manager, cpu tab. And keep on eyes for program that running in the background (using high cpu).....

icecoldsnake

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
So the hog is the infamous monopoly, Adobe Flash Player!!!! well at least its free...

My computer is hooked up to my 32" LCD 720p TV through the DVI/HDMI output on my Geforce 9500 GT. I just realized that I could change the output to 720p through the NVIDIA Control Panel. So question... would it be better to run through the HDMI output on the mobo or the DVI from the card??? Also, would this effect the amount of resources required to send the Video signal???

icecoldsnake

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

No idea where the download link that you refer to is... It says I have the same version as every download link I found.

icecoldsnake

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Tried installing Flash 11.3/11.2/11 but none of them fixed the problem. I probably should mention that I'm using Firefox and the plugin container uses about 15% or CPU, Flas takes about 20-30%, same thing happens when using google chrome.