Hewlett Packard Class Action Suits

aristotle80

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
HP has settled on one necessary lawsuit in their requirment to replace batteries that overheat.

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/hp_notebook_batteries

If you go to this website you can file a complaint in regards to the defective power connection. In the two years that I had a warranty and accidential damage protection they tried and never fixed my power connection issue in the five times I sent my computer in.

They need to replace these notebooks its not ok to have a known product thats defective.

(I have a zx5000 series)

js06

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
:(

I just bought a brand new Pavillion dv6000 notebook, and not only is the power supply faulty in some way that they did not fix when I sent it in for repair last week, but the software installed on the computer when I got it doesn't work properly even after recovering the system several times, and the Matshita UJ-850S sucks too--hasn't worked since I bought the computer.

HP technical support is horrible, completely useless, and they keep me going in circles. I've talked to my "Quality Case Manager" who said that I couldn't get a refund or a new computer even though my computer is still in its 1-year warranty, and even though I can prove that I've been on the phone and in online chat sessions with HP since three days after I took the computer out of the box trying to address the various problems. When I mentioned that it was not acceptable to force me to continue dealing with a product that was defective from the being, she patronized me saying, "You just don't like the options available to you."

As far as I see it, they are in breach of contract. When they sell a product, implicit in the act is a warranty from the second the consumer gets the product that it should work as it is intended to work. I'm no lawyer, but this language on consumer rights seems pretty clear.

If anyone is having the same problem, email me. Maybe we can get together on this and do something about HP's shitty service. Or start a viral video...

aristotle80

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I finally got my hp notebook sent in for service after talking to a quality case manager. I had the 2 year svc with accidential damage protection that expired, but I still had a re repair warranty. So I sent it in to repair and my charger port still was not right. So I sent it in again and the tech said that its not a know issue that the ports go bad and need to be replaced, mine has been replaced like 6 times. When I started working with the Quality Mgr some of my work orders were missing in there system. They were suppose to look at replacing it this time but the tech thought that the charger port was a no big deal issue.

rmms

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I purchased an HP Multimedia laptop at Costco about 2.5 years ago for
close to $2000.
( HP Pavillion zd7000 series; specifically zd7168cl)

Unfortunately, the first year under warranty, we used it only a few
times as that year we moved and then my father became progressively ill
and suddenly passed away.I was traveling back and forth to Virginia, to
assist my Mother and 7 sisters with funeral and estate matters.

When things settled down, the one year warranty was almost over. It
was then that I started using and having problems with the computer.

The first thing we noticed was that the computer would get hot when
in use and we would have to have to prop it up or protect our legs with
additional clothing. It then starting shutting down after about an
hour of use. I poured through the instruction booklet to see if we were
doing something wrong. I then took it to several shops to see if a
computer tech "geek" could help define the problem. I was then told that
the fan was not working well and I should consider purchasing a fan
that sits under the computer to help with the cooling. I decided to go to
HP for help. Since the HP warranty had expired, I paid $100 for tech
support.

HP tech support could not identify the problem over the phone. They
suggested I pay their fee of $299 for it to be looked at. It turned
out that the fan and battery had to be replaced. Keep in mind, this
was a computer that had been hardly used!!

About 8 months later the laptop started shutting down again. I again
had paid the annual $100 to get help over the phone. This time I was
told that it was probably the Mother board that had to be replaced. The
cost would be $299 plus an additional cost if it was in fact the
Motherboard had to be replaced. Right now it is just sitting unused in my
study as it will not turn on at all. Hardly a satisfactory situation
after all the expense, frustration and expended energy!

At some this point the cost to keep this laptop in working order does
not make sense. I am disappointed that my experience with HP has been
so expensive and frustrating! Given the current experience I would not
consider purchasing HP products again. I would think HP management
would want to know of this. I would like to think they would consider
compensation of some type. I encourage you to pass this along.

Second, I now am suspect of any electronics sold at COSTCO. I
wonder if the discounted cost has anything to do with defective items.

not sure what to do now....any suggestions out there?

aristotle80

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I wouldn't be suspect of any merchandise Costco sells, they give everything a 100%. Even though computers have a 6 month guarantee I would take your laptop into the store and if you have to talk to everyone up to the Store Manager, which I don't think you will, I think Costco will take care of you on this issue because you have a genuine problem with your computer. I buy everything at Costco because they guarantee it, see if you can find your receipt and go to Costco and talk to them about an exchange.

rmms

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
my concern is that it has been so long and I do not have the receipt. I guess i could try to look it up through american express on which I charged it. What do you think.

by the way I do very much appreciate your advice.

aristotle80

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
You can do that, or Costco should be able to look it up on your purchase history too, but if you can find out when it would be easier on them.

voccounselor

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I bought an HP Pavillion zd7000 notebook about a year and a half ago. For the first 6 months it worked ok. One day, I noticed a burning smell in my office. Ended up that my laptop was burning. I called HP and after spending 5 hours on the phone to someone in India, I was given a FedEx ticket number. They came and picked up my laptop and sent it to California to be examined. (was still under warranty). I was told that the power supply connection was bad and the entire motherboard needed to be replaced. They gave me a refurbished motherboard and I got my computer back about 2 weeks later. After I got it back, it worked ok for about a month, but then it started shutting down on me. I could use the computer for about 15-20 minutes and then it would just shut down. Now, the piece of junk sits in a corner in my office. I can't even turn it on anymore. Of course, a week after I got my computer back from HP, the warranty ran out! No more warranty and I am stuck with a useless machine. $1800 out the window! Not only is the HP support the worst in the world, I spent hours and hours and hours on the phone with people who could not speak English. A frustrating, yet eye opening experience. I was in Best Buy last week and the sales clerk was trying to get me to buy an HP! Never again will I buy an HP!

sattamander

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I keep reading about Laptops on the web but I was wondering if anyone knew about any actions being taken by HP where it comes to PCs. I have a Pavilion A1520y that died just under two years into service. Never in in 20 years of owning PCs have I had one die within two years. Same old complete power shutdown for no apparent reason. I have been told it is a bad motherboard and truly believe this is the case.

Bottom line anyone know of any current resource as to getting HP to fix this same power shutdown problem but on the desktop level? I have read that many people are not getting any help from HP but I did have a friend tell me HP DID replace his PC for this same problem EVEN when it was out of warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, kevin

G

You really get to know HP when you have to deal with them concerning a third degree burn that requires skin grafting..............how generous, they want you to return the old computer and send a new one?????

Forget about any assistance in paying the medical bills!!

MasterOfWho

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Same here, hp sold me a high dollar laptop. It lasted 2.5 yrs and died due to a known hardware defect. Customer service refused to honor the repair offer they have on the web site. I can not express my deep hatred for hp. I found a class action via google, I hope everyone joins.

Dave

twvd

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009

My dv6000 just began showing HP's posted symptoms of upcoming mother board failure (wireless card not working/not recognized). Over an hour on the phone, but - despite being a loyal HP customer for many years - no satisfaction. I'm 5 weeks past the extended warranty deadline for my machine. They knew our machines had a problem, but they won't fix them when they fail. Can you say GM? I have in my immediate family 4 hp laptops, 2 HP desktops, 3 external HP dvd burners, 1 HP laser printer, 4 HP all-in-one printer/scanners, several HP monitors, and a bunch of other HP stuff. They are willing to lose my business, my good will, and my recommendations to friends and colleagues for the cost of a motherboard. Can you send more info on the class action?

thebsbuzz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
ZD7000 HP Laptop:

I purchased this computer (ZD7000) in 2005 for $1500 from Best Buy. I've had problems with it from the start from fan issues to shutting down unexplainably. Last summer I got a notice in the mail that there was a class action lawsuit due to a potential recall on the power jack and system board and that my computer "might" be fixed if they win the lawsuit. I filled a bunch of paperwork out with my serial number and product number and a few months later I received a letter from HP saying that my computer had been recalled and that they would fix it for $0.00 due to the recall on the power jack and system board. A week after I sent it in to be repaired, I received my computer in the box with a handwritten note that said "NO FIX." I was irrate when I found that they didn't fix it and I spent over 6 hours with customer service, technical support people from HP would barely spoke English. It took me 5 hours to finally be able to talk to a supervisor and he was completely unprofessional in his tone of voice. He told me that they would not honor the recall because it wasn't showing up in any of their systems. When I asked him why I received the letter from HP about the recall and the box for me to ship my computer away to be fixed, he replied with "it must of been a mistake." To me.. it isn't a coincidence that that I can't charge my computer because of the power jack and I received all of this info for the recall. They refused to do anything about my computer that I spend $1500 for. I told him that I was never going to buy anything from their company ever again unless they made it right somehow. I also told him that I was going to pursuade everyone that I know to never buy a computer from HP due to the extrememly Poor (and rude!) customer service and he told me, "that's your choice and we have millions of satisfied customers." WHAT AN IDIOT and what a sorry excuse for a company! I don't know what to do now though... Any suggestions? The rude HP supervisor told me to just suck it up and buy a new computer.

G

I have a Slimline Pavillion that is going in for a 3rd replacement of motherboard. Requested some type of replacement or credit towards purchase of another computer (non-slimline). Said they can't do that.

This computer was a big waste of hard earned money. I feel ripped off.

I have all documentation. Class action suit sounds perfect.

G

Has anyone sent you the info to the class action suit.
I too, bought and HP DV6000 Pavillion. We had to replace the motherboard 6 months after we bought it and then 4 months later we had the same problem with the motherboard. However, HP refused to do anything because they only warranty their work for 90 days.
I would like to join the suit.

G

I am in the same boat. Motherboard needs to be replaced just a few months after the wi-fi stopped working. Can someone please send me the information for the class action suit?

John
jjgotmail at yahoo.com

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Do not buy any HP DV Pavillions with Nvidia chipsets.

Theyre all pigs. Everyone fails.. HP should really offer a repair program for these as they are really that bad.

I used to have so much respect for hp and their printers, but even theyre inkjets a crappy now.

lazy-buntu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I bought a HP pavilion dv6000 laptop and the wireless card died on me too. They wanted to charge me 260$ for a "system board repair" or 80$ for a replacement wireless card.

I bought a wireless dongle for ~20$ and it's working fine, but it still pisses me off that they tried to rip me off. I'm fortunate that I work in the IT field and I'm knowledgeable about these sorts of problems, but for someone like my grandma-she would have sent it in with 260$.

This laptop line is utter crap. Just look at all the problems: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277

There should have been a recall, but money hungry HP doesn't give a damn. It's out of its 1 year warranty and their extended warranty BS, then you're SOL.

Reply to this message if there's a class action lawsuit to jump in on. there's got to be thousands of us out there with the same problems for HP to put out this enhanced service BS.

acex001

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

So is there a class action suit against HP yet ... every laptop they sell they put a designed for windows xp or windows vista, but if you go to the microsoft hardware compatibility site you will see most od the dv6000 series never passed, false advertisement??? HP told me to downgrade my video from the intel drivers to a generic windows 800 x 600 with very few colors, i asked but you sold it under the pretense that it was designed "video and all" for windows xp and vista, but microsoft said you failed. There fore my crash, wich took 2 weeks to recover from, and they tried to push me off and say it was not there fault ... microsoft went through all the steps to prove whos fault it was HP. I want to sue them if for nothing else than false advertising :) Erik ...

acex001

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

FYI on the dv6000 series, they have a bios hard drive test, i failed the second part, they told me i would have to buy a 120 gig hd for about $300, well i know i can get hd bigger and cheaper by seeing which ones are in the manual. They said the hard drive was failing astronomically and could not be fixed it is the only way they rma thier hds. well in the 2 years i have had it, it has been online video chatting, making extensive movies for dvd, and a lot of things I cant talk about ... and only had the compter off for 2 weeks total (lotta hours). So i dug into the partition with some of my techie tools and found a hidden 3rd partition wich i unhid, deleted then wiped the other 2 partitions, lowlevel formatted it, repartitioned and setup my system, hd passed there test 8 more times. I fixed it and i do not have a problem except the video drivers are microsoft crtified or compatible, so i satay away from ie8 which combined with hp smart printing without the latest update and direct disk access from Sonic DVD Software are what crashed me, due to the fact my video drivers have never been good. Erik ...

acex001

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

So have you found anything out ??? I fixed stuff on mine they gauranteed could not be repaired and had to nbe replace for about $300

GoalPoster

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I've got two of the DV6000s. I bought them for my kids to do homework, message friends, watch movies and th elike.

Both suffered the wireless card snafu and the subsenquent HP Two Too warranty left me out in the cold.

I called 'support' who told me that there really isn't any problem, but they'll offered to fix the computers I sent to them but ONLY if it is within the two year window when I purchased the damn thing.

Of course it wasn't.

They say that if it is older than two years, the motherboard/wireless issue is not their problem because apparently after approximately 730 days, HP feels that no matter how specific the problem is with rspect to this ongoing issue, the cause 'could be anything'.

They'll tell you that the problem is 'insignficant' because it only affects one percent of the laptops they make . . . hoping that you won't equate that with being fact that one out of every 100 laptops they make are defective and you'd have better luck using it to surf off Huntington Beach than you will surfing the Net.

Further, they'll tell you that they do not believe that there is anything wrong with their computers and nobody can pinpoint exactly what the problem is, but they're sure it isn't their problem rather some chip maker somewhere sold them defective chips so they're don't really think they're responsible for selling you a piece of crap that the self-admit isn't worth the plastic it was wrapped in after two years.

Then they'll send you off to an 'escalation officer' who will tell you all that stuff again in a patronizing "I know everyting and you're a moron" voice after which you'll get really angry and ask to speak to his manager.

Dave, will then tell you that he only answers to the CEO . . . a Mr. Herd. He'll say the only way you can contact him is through his email, which Dave then told me I would have to find on the HP web site somewhere, but I really shouldn't bother doing that because 'Dave' answers all of Mr. Herd's emails for him.

Bottom line . . . if you need a door stop, use your HP Pavilion.

Then go out an buy a computer that is supported by a manufacturer that will stand behind their products regardless the magnitude of the problem.

if anyone has the Class Action suit started, please advise

G

I HAVE BOUGHT AT LEAST 10 HP COMPUTERS OVER THE PAST 6-7 YEARS! I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER POSTS. MOTHERBOARDS OUT, WIRELESS NOT WORKING PROPERLY AND THE TECH SUPPORT FOLKS FROM INDIA OR WHEREVER THEY ARE FROM COULD CARE LESS!

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER PRODUCT AND AM CONTACTING A LOCAL ATTORNEY TOMORROW TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF A CLASS ACTION. IF ANYONE ELSE IS INTERESTED PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL AT SRAY@ATS-NOW.COM. I OWN MY OWN COMPANY AS WELL AS HAVE 5 CHILDREN AND WILL ONLY PURCHASE APPLE/MAC PRODUCTS FROM NOW ON! HP WILL NEVER STAY IN BUSINESS LONG IF THEY CONTINUE TO PUT OUT KNOWINGLY DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS!

THE THING THAT REALLY GETS ME IS THAT WE NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING IN THE MAIL FROM HP ABOUT A RECALL WHICH IS NORMALLY HOW RECALL'S HAPPEN. I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE RECALL WHEN I WENT TO SELL THE 2 DEFECTIVE LAPTOPS ON EBAY FOR PARTS AND CAME ACROSS THE ADVERTISEMENT WHILE LOOKING UP PRODUCT INFO ON THE COMPUTERS.

I WILL ALSO BE PUTTING OUT THIS NEWS ON FACEBOOK TO SEE WHOM ELSE HAS BEEN SHAFTED WITH HP PRODUCTS!

usppk9c

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I contacted HP for a defective DV 6000 like everyone else and got the same reply as other people we will not fix your laptop and we know it is the motherboard. By case was assigned a case manager by the name John C. When I told him I called while my laptop was under the scam called enhanced warranty to get an INDIAN guy who kept trying to sell me warranty and not once told me my computer was under warraty. When i told MR John C that his answer was we dont have to notify you. HP should change their name to SP (*** product and customer service.
Would love to see them go out of business I will never buy another HP Product

jrmagic

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I HAVE BOUGHT AT LEAST 10 HP COMPUTERS OVER THE PAST 6-7 YEARS! I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER POSTS. MOTHERBOARDS OUT, WIRELESS NOT WORKING PROPERLY AND THE TECH SUPPORT FOLKS FROM INDIA OR WHEREVER THEY ARE FROM COULD CARE LESS!

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER PRODUCT AND AM CONTACTING A LOCAL ATTORNEY TOMORROW TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF A CLASS ACTION. IF ANYONE ELSE IS INTERESTED PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL AT SRAY@ATS-NOW.COM. I OWN MY OWN COMPANY AS WELL AS HAVE 5 CHILDREN AND WILL ONLY PURCHASE APPLE/MAC PRODUCTS FROM NOW ON! HP WILL NEVER STAY IN BUSINESS LONG IF THEY CONTINUE TO PUT OUT KNOWINGLY DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS!

THE THING THAT REALLY GETS ME IS THAT WE NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING IN THE MAIL FROM HP ABOUT A RECALL WHICH IS NORMALLY HOW RECALL'S HAPPEN. I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE RECALL WHEN I WENT TO SELL THE 2 DEFECTIVE LAPTOPS ON EBAY FOR PARTS AND CAME ACROSS THE ADVERTISEMENT WHILE LOOKING UP PRODUCT INFO ON THE COMPUTERS.

I WILL ALSO BE PUTTING OUT THIS NEWS ON FACEBOOK TO SEE WHOM ELSE HAS BEEN SHAFTED WITH HP PRODUCTS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm interested too in a Class Action suit against HP, same problem with a DV6408nr they basically told me that it can be repaired for a $281 dlls charge, simply pathetic... I'll contact you through your email