confusen about hardisk?

za3zoo3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004
hi....

Ummmm. this is a post again

i dont know where my post go first i write it ?? :(
i have little confuse about ide cable (80-wire 40-pin)

what the maxumm data transfer can the cable Opreate ?

is it 66MB/s <-------- know it from a few post at many fourms - thats cause for my confuson

or can rech the last IDE/ATA hard disk transfer rate 133/MB ??

if answer 1 correct so why we buy the 133 MB hard disk while the cable only can opreate 66MB?

if answer 2 ok in burst mode like encode a video file to divx (2 GB )
this called burst mode is this can rech the 133 MB or still not ??

------------------------------------------------------------

qes 2

in toms hardware faq

08. Is it ok to have 2 IDE drives on one cable?
Yes it is, but bear in mind that you are sharing the bandwidth of the cable & controller equally. Thus you may loose performance, especially when copying from one drive to the other.

ok how i loose performance if the 2 drive in same controler and if i copy i 700 mb file from hardisk (2) to 1

cause the har disk 2 is on stand by that mean no bandwidth are use and when you copy from 2 to 1 the file goes from 2 to 1 symontiouthly <--- soryy i know big wrong :) ) rather than on host to another

sorry for bad english
and for my Dumber Qes but i hope to find a good answer than the other confusen web site
Thanks to all

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have confusen about yer speling!

80-wire cables were introduced with the ATA66 standard. They also support the later ATA100 and ATA133 standards. The true transfer rate is a function of drive mechanics however, there aren't any ATA100 or ATA133 drives that can go 100MB/s from the platters. 72MB/s would be good for most newer drives.

No, burst is from CACHE, hard drive cache is a small amount of RAM built onto the drive that stores frequently accessed files. Some drives have 2MB, others 8, few have any more, it won't help a 2GB file.

ATA controllers access only 1 drive per cable at once. If you copy a file from drive 1 to drive 2, part of the file will be moved to RAM, then to drive 2, followed by another part of the file being moved to RAM, then drive 2. This happens very quickly because RAM is so fast, but still means only 1 drive is used at a time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

za3zoo3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004
thaaanks Crashman :)

now i know the answer question 2

about copying file

cause the file tranfer as part ( one after one ) this make the bandwidth shared

but i want to know what cable can tranfer in maximum rate is it 66 MB ?

know i now that the harddisk can`t reach a 133 or 150 on sata
ok why the manufacture call that if the harddisk maximum tranfer 60 to 76 MB/s ??

ok your answer about question 1 i don`t get it completly

i tell you about burst because i read somewhere that the harddisk can operate at maximum MB/s only in burst mode

and burst mode mean that :
(quote)

any situation in which a device is transmitting data repeatedly without waiting for input from another device or waiting for an internal process to terminate before continuing the transfer of data.

like encoding some video which the processor encode the data into harddisk with out stop until the file is finshed that way can harddisk operate at maximum throughput

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I already told you, 80-wire cables support ATA133, ATA100, and ATA66. They support all 3 standards. The reason some were called ATA66 is because ATA100 didn't exist yet, but it's the same cable.

ATA133 is simply a newer standard than ATA100 or ATA66. Updates to these standards are mainly for other purposes. ATA133 supports a MAXIMUM of 133MB/s, but there aren't any drives that fast. Perhaps in a year or two there will be, but by that time ATA133 will be considered obsolete.

Burst mode only applies to files that are small enough to fit in cache and are accessed repeatedly. Due to system overhead, I've never seen a drive transfer more than 102MB/s in burst mode.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Worest. Spelin. Evre.

<font color=blue><font color=red>Milk</font color=red> my <font color=red>ass</font color=red>, and call me <font color=red>Nancy</font color=red>!</font color=blue>