HERO: Since I Have Yet To Buy 5th....

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

As the subject line says, I have yet to plunk my cash down
for a copy of FRED. So I was a bit puzzled when I recently
saw a reference to "Multi-tasking" as a skill/power/talent on
a character sheet. I presume it has to do with allowing the
use of "mental skills" (ie: KS's and some PS's) more than
one at a time without taking a negative modifier to the rolls
involved. Is that about right ?

Thanks....

-Carl S.-

Cue42 wrote:
> As the subject line says, I have yet to plunk my cash down
> for a copy of FRED. So I was a bit puzzled when I recently
> saw a reference to "Multi-tasking" as a skill/power/talent on
> a character sheet. I presume it has to do with allowing the
> use of "mental skills" (ie: KS's and some PS's) more than
> one at a time without taking a negative modifier to the rolls
> involved. Is that about right ?
>
> Thanks....

I can't find a reference to Multitasking in any of my rulebooks.
The current format for Power listings includes the player's name for the
Power first, before statistics.
e.g.
Kinetic Cancellation: Knockback Resistance -10" (20 Active Points);
Costs Endurance (-1/2). Total Cost: 13 points.

It's possible you saw some sort of Power construct that the player
called Multitasking.

--
Michael Sears armitage@mhcable.com
"No turning back where the end is in sight.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <20040509161816.21890.00000790@mb-m23.aol.com>,
cue42@aol.com (Cue42) wrote:

> As the subject line says, I have yet to plunk my cash down
> for a copy of FRED. So I was a bit puzzled when I recently
> saw a reference to "Multi-tasking" as a skill/power/talent on
> a character sheet. I presume it has to do with allowing the
> use of "mental skills" (ie: KS's and some PS's) more than
> one at a time without taking a negative modifier to the rolls
> involved. Is that about right ?

Hmmm... FREd doesn't mention it in the index. It might be a home-brew
Talent (which are now built from Skills and/or Powers), or it might be
the special effect that some Skill Levels were bought with.

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
jrc3@cox.net | -- Daniel Burnham

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Michael Sears replied:

<snip>
>It's possible you saw some sort of Power
>construct that the player called
> Multitasking.

Hmmmm..Might be. But that was the only
word in the reference (as I am recalling it
at the moment)...I'll have to see if I can
find it again.

Thanks.

-Carl S.-

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sun, 09 May 2004 21:33:48 -0400, Michael Sears
<armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com> wrote:

>Cue42 wrote:
>> As the subject line says, I have yet to plunk my cash down
>> for a copy of FRED. So I was a bit puzzled when I recently
>> saw a reference to "Multi-tasking" as a skill/power/talent on
>> a character sheet. I presume it has to do with allowing the
>> use of "mental skills" (ie: KS's and some PS's) more than
>> one at a time without taking a negative modifier to the rolls
>> involved. Is that about right ?
>>
>> Thanks....
>>

>I can't find a reference to Multitasking in any of my rulebooks.
>The current format for Power listings includes the player's name for the
>Power first, before statistics.
>e.g.
>Kinetic Cancellation: Knockback Resistance -10" (20 Active Points);
>Costs Endurance (-1/2). Total Cost: 13 points.
>
>It's possible you saw some sort of Power construct that the player
>called Multitasking.

Or an entirely new power or talent, possibly. There was an Aberrant
Wits or Dexterity Enhancement of that name, for example, and someone
may have decided to import it in some form.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Wayne Shaw mentioned:

<snippage>
>Or an entirely new power or talent,
>possibly. There was an Aberrant
>Wits or Dexterity Enhancement of that
> name, for example, and someone
>may have decided to import it in some
> form.

A definate probability...Given that the
character sheet includes "Multitasking"
under a subcatagory generally described
as "Mental Discipline". Other listings
in the same list for this character include
Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator
and Absolute Time Sense....

As I don't have access to a copy of
Aberrant can anyone give a baseline idea
as to the "adds" that might be involved ??

Thanks.

-Carl S.-

On 11 May 2004 13:36:01 GMT, cue42@aol.com (Cue42) wrote:

>Wayne Shaw mentioned:
>
><snippage>
>>Or an entirely new power or talent,
>>possibly. There was an Aberrant
>>Wits or Dexterity Enhancement of that
>> name, for example, and someone
>>may have decided to import it in some
>> form.
>
>A definate probability...Given that the
>character sheet includes "Multitasking"
>under a subcatagory generally described
>as "Mental Discipline". Other listings
>in the same list for this character include
>Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator
>and Absolute Time Sense....
>
>As I don't have access to a copy of
>Aberrant can anyone give a baseline idea
>as to the "adds" that might be involved ??

It's hard to picture how it'd be imported, as the Aberrant Enhancement
interacts with the Storyteller multiple action system.

Wayne Shaw wrote:
> On 11 May 2004 13:36:01 GMT, cue42@aol.com (Cue42) wrote:
>

>>Wayne Shaw mentioned:
>>
>><snippage>
>>
>>>Or an entirely new power or talent,
>>>possibly. There was an Aberrant
>>>Wits or Dexterity Enhancement of that
>>>name, for example, and someone
>>>may have decided to import it in some
>>>form.
>>
>>A definate probability...Given that the
>>character sheet includes "Multitasking"
>>under a subcatagory generally described
>>as "Mental Discipline". Other listings
>>in the same list for this character include
>>Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator
>>and Absolute Time Sense....
>>
>>As I don't have access to a copy of
>>Aberrant can anyone give a baseline idea
>>as to the "adds" that might be involved ??
>

> It's hard to picture how it'd be imported, as the Aberrant Enhancement
> interacts with the Storyteller multiple action system.

Hero System's skill rules have a -1 to -5 penalty for "poor conditions
for performing the skill". Or a skill version of the Sweep rules could
be used, with a cumulative -2 penalty for each action after the first.
Multitasking would then be Penalty Skill Levels bought to offset these
penalties.

--
Michael Sears armitage@mhcable.com
"No turning back where the end is in sight.
There's a job to be done, a fight to be won."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 11 May 2004 21:27:23 -0400, Michael Sears
<armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com> wrote:

>> It's hard to picture how it'd be imported, as the Aberrant Enhancement
>> interacts with the Storyteller multiple action system.
>

>Hero System's skill rules have a -1 to -5 penalty for "poor conditions
>for performing the skill". Or a skill version of the Sweep rules could
>be used, with a cumulative -2 penalty for each action after the first.
>Multitasking would then be Penalty Skill Levels bought to offset these
>penalties.

In practice, it'd still mean it was designed to be used in a campaign
that had some sort of houserules in place for multiple actions not
present in the native rules.