Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Compaq Presario R3000 - Enter power-on password.

Last response: in Computer Brands
December 3, 2006 1:44:17 AM

Hi everybody,
It had been working well up to some days ago when I started up the notebook without connecting the power-adapter. First, after the "Compaq" logo had been appeared there were many white plashes along the sides of the screen. Then they performed as the same of a screen-saver program with full of small green banner parallel to the sides of the screen.
I thought maybe the batteries grew weak so I turned off the notebook. Then
connected the power-adapter and restarted again.This time the screen displayed nothing. I unpluged the power-adapter again and turned on the notebook (using batteries). And now it gave a message : Enter power-on password although I had never set any password before.
Some online guide helped me to clear CMOS in order to set it back to default and I did successful. But the situation has been iterating as it did in the first time. Is this in the cause of BIOS virus? Please help me.
December 4, 2006 6:38:04 PM

Could be a virus, maybe your bios is getting corrupt because the bios battery is almost empty? How did you clear bios? Is the garbled picture gone once in windows?
January 7, 2007 8:46:44 PM

By any chance do you have the link to that guide? I have a R3000 here that just developed the power on password after a quick restart
November 16, 2009 10:08:33 PM

the only way to replace the bios is to take the cmos battery out and the problem is that the cmos battery i welded on the motherboard so you have to unwelded wait for a few minutes and then welded back.....you have to take the laptop apart completly ......i fyou cannot do this, i can do it for you for $60 dollars including shipping back to you ..........good luck
!