Constant Restarts & Other Problems

Hi,

I have Windows XP Pro SP2, and I am constantly having problems whenever I
turn off my computer. It usually boots to the Desktop, after I login, but
then it immediately restarts. It comes to the Desktop again, and sometimes it
says that Windows has recoved from a serious error, and the error has been
fixed.

But this morning when I booted up, I got this message:

Quote:
lsass.exe - System Error
Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by the
service. It may be a more recent version that the service is aware of.

The only button available to click is , "OK", and I click it, and it just
restarts, and says the same thing again. This happens before the the login
screen, but after the Windows XP screen.

Please help me out! This has been happening to my computer and configuration
ever since I built the computer. So I am thinking that it has something to do
with my hardware.

Thanks for your time! (P.S - Computer Configuration Below.)

th3gh05t
3 answers Last reply
More about constant restarts problems

    Sounds suspicious. What are the results of your anti-virus and spyware
    scans? I would almost say you have the Sasser worm, but you don't mention
    anything about the system shutting down on a regular basis.

    "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have Windows XP Pro SP2, and I am constantly having problems whenever I
    > turn off my computer. It usually boots to the Desktop, after I login, but
    > then it immediately restarts. It comes to the Desktop again, and sometimes
    it
    > says that Windows has recoved from a serious error, and the error has been
    > fixed.
    >
    > But this morning when I booted up, I got this message:

    Quote:
    lsass.exe - System Error
    > Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one known by
    the
    > service. It may be a more recent version that the service is aware
    of.

    > The only button available to click is , "OK", and I click it, and it just
    > restarts, and says the same thing again. This happens before the the login
    > screen, but after the Windows XP screen.
    >
    > Please help me out! This has been happening to my computer and
    configuration
    > ever since I built the computer. So I am thinking that it has something to
    do
    > with my hardware.
    >
    > Thanks for your time! (P.S - Computer Configuration Below.)
    >
    > th3gh05t

    I wish that I could run antivirus and spyware scans. But it doesn't allow me
    to the Desktop. A couple days eariler, I installed McAfee 2005, and no virus
    was found.

    How do I fix the Sasser worm?

    Thanks, Ty

    Ty wrote:

    > I wish that I could run antivirus and spyware scans. But it doesn't
    > allow me to the Desktop. A couple days eariler, I installed McAfee
    > 2005, and no virus was found.
    >
    > How do I fix the Sasser worm?
    >
    > Thanks, Ty
    >
    > "Kevin" wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds suspicious. What are the results of your anti-virus and
    >> spyware
    >> scans? I would almost say you have the Sasser worm, but you don't
    >> mention anything about the system shutting down on a regular basis.
    >>
    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I have Windows XP Pro SP2, and I am constantly having problems
    >> > whenever I turn off my computer. It usually boots to the Desktop,
    >> > after I login, but then it immediately restarts. It comes to the
    >> > Desktop again, and sometimes
    >> it
    >> > says that Windows has recoved from a serious error, and the error
    >> > has been fixed.
    >> >
    >> > But this morning when I booted up, I got this message:

    Quote:
    lsass.exe - System Error
    >> > Indicates a revision number encountered or specified is not one
    >> > known by
    >> the
    >> > service. It may be a more recent version that the service is aware
    >> of.

    >> > The only button available to click is , "OK", and I click it, and
    >> > it just restarts, and says the same thing again. This happens
    >> > before the the login screen, but after the Windows XP screen.
    >> >
    >> > Please help me out! This has been happening to my computer and
    >> configuration
    >> > ever since I built the computer. So I am thinking that it has
    >> > something to
    >> do
    >> > with my hardware.

    I think your feeling that hardware is at fault is probably accurate.
    Since you built the computer yourself, you undoubtedly are comfortable
    doing hardware testing. Here are some general hardware troubleshooting
    steps. I would start with testing the RAM:

    1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

    2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    errors, replace it.

    4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
    laptop, although of course the power
    supply can be faulty.

    5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

    Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
    with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
    uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers