Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Super Heroic RPGs for Practiced Players

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:38:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Greetings, all.

With any luck, my post will not start a flame war or get anyone angry at me.
I am also hoping to avoid having my questions sound too stupid....

I have been playing and running in the super-heroic genre for almost as long
as I have been into RPGs. Mayfair's DC Heroes (2nd and 3rd editions mostly),
Champions, Hero System (4th), Superworld, Villains & Vigilantes, Mutants &
Masterminds, Silver Age Sentinels (non-d20), Marvel Universe, and Heroes
Unlimited all come to mind as games I have tried. I am discovering that the
newer games are becoming more universal and tend to focus on d20-based
mechanics.

My question is: Are there any good non-d20 super-hero games left to play? Is
it possible that I have already tried everything??

To be honest, even with all the flaws that low-powered or near-human
characters had when interacting with the rules, Mayfair's DC Heroes was
probably my favorite game. The RPG lost more than licensed rights when it
became Blood of Heroes, seeming to become this joke game that no one carried
amongst my local retailers. I doubt I will see its likes again. Green
Ronin's Mutants & Masterminds comes close in spirit, though I have had
endless difficulties with its movement rules and with its flat experience
jumps (i.e. most Power Level 10 characters are really PL 6 or 7 who needed
the extra points). I even enjoyed GoO's Silver Age Sentinels until my
players could not make simple "spot checks" without my modifying the dice
types involved.

If I seem grumpy, it is because I am becoming disillusioned with what I am
finding on the shelves....
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:36:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 18 May 2004 06:38:12 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
<MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>If I seem grumpy, it is because I am becoming disillusioned with what I am
>finding on the shelves....

Well, I don't know why you'd be disillusioned with some of on that
list, so it's hard for me to answer the rest of your question.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 9:10:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 18 May 2004 06:38:12 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
<MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Greetings, all.
>
>With any luck, my post will not start a flame war or get anyone angry at me.
>I am also hoping to avoid having my questions sound too stupid....
>
>I have been playing and running in the super-heroic genre for almost as long
>as I have been into RPGs. Mayfair's DC Heroes (2nd and 3rd editions mostly),
>Champions, Hero System (4th), Superworld, Villains & Vigilantes, Mutants &
>Masterminds, Silver Age Sentinels (non-d20), Marvel Universe, and Heroes
>Unlimited all come to mind as games I have tried. I am discovering that the
>newer games are becoming more universal and tend to focus on d20-based
>mechanics.
>
>My question is: Are there any good non-d20 super-hero games left to play? Is
>it possible that I have already tried everything??

Have you tried Feng Shui? There's a superhero net supplement for it
but you could be a street level superhero using those rules even
without it.
Related resources
May 18, 2004 10:59:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

And on Tue, 18 May 2004 06:38:12 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
<MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> was compelled to utter:


>To be honest, even with all the flaws that low-powered or near-human
>characters had when interacting with the rules, Mayfair's DC Heroes was
>probably my favorite game. The RPG lost more than licensed rights when it
>became Blood of Heroes, seeming to become this joke game that no one carried
>amongst my local retailers. I doubt I will see its likes again.

Out of curiousity, if you enjoy the MEGS system that much then why
change systems? Simply because it is out of print?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:27:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:59:10 GMT, Someone <no@none.net> wrote:

>And on Tue, 18 May 2004 06:38:12 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
><MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> was compelled to utter:
>
>
>>To be honest, even with all the flaws that low-powered or near-human
>>characters had when interacting with the rules, Mayfair's DC Heroes was
>>probably my favorite game. The RPG lost more than licensed rights when it
>>became Blood of Heroes, seeming to become this joke game that no one carried
>>amongst my local retailers. I doubt I will see its likes again.
>
>Out of curiousity, if you enjoy the MEGS system that much then why
>change systems? Simply because it is out of print?

Hey it's no use enjoying a system if there are no other players for it
and you can't even get rulebooks for your friends.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 7:31:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"Douglas Uptegraft" <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> abagooba zoink
larblortch news:o biqc.8819$eH1.4841057@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

> characters had when interacting with the rules, Mayfair's DC Heroes
> was probably my favorite game. The RPG lost more than licensed rights
> when it became Blood of Heroes, seeming to become this joke game that
> no one carried amongst my local retailers. I doubt I will see its

It improved immensely once the input of a bunch of nattering nabobs of
negativism (the DC list) got added to it.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 9:42:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"Someone" <no@none.net> wrote in message
news:n4nka0hu77f5khs8lm7rslmc0vr94ml3f0@4ax.com...

> Out of curiousity, if you enjoy the MEGS system that much then why change
systems? Simply because it is out of print?

I would have to answer that, yes, largely because the game I knew as DC
Heroes is out of print.

Actually, after DC Heroes became Blood of Heroes, I had great difficulty
getting any of the local gaming shops to carry anything related to BoH. I
managed to find a copy of the Special Edition rules utterly by accident at a
chain bookstore outlet in the local mall. I read through it and found that
the flavor of the game had changed along with the loss of license. For
example, the artwork in the book was ugly and seemingly aimed at 14-year-old
boys. The number of powers designed to alter or halt the aging process
astounded me. Minor details but I found it impossible to like the game in
its new form.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 9:48:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@sbcglobal.not> wrote in message
news:Xns94EDE51D79930Yarblookie@207.115.63.158...

> It improved immensely once the input of a bunch of nattering nabobs of
> negativism (the DC list) got added to it.

Sarcasm or an honest opinion, Bryan?

Doug.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:24:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:42:05 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
<MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>chain bookstore outlet in the local mall. I read through it and found that
>the flavor of the game had changed along with the loss of license. For
>example, the artwork in the book was ugly and seemingly aimed at 14-year-old
>boys. The number of powers designed to alter or halt the aging process
>astounded me. Minor details but I found it impossible to like the game in
>its new form.

I think this is getting hung up on the look and ignoring whether the
mechanics will still serve your purposes.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 5:59:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"Douglas Uptegraft" <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> abagooba zoink larblortch
news:o 5Nqc.9345$eH1.5175392@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

>
> "Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@sbcglobal.not> wrote in message
> news:Xns94EDE51D79930Yarblookie@207.115.63.158...
>
>> It improved immensely once the input of a bunch of nattering nabobs of
>> negativism (the DC list) got added to it.
>
> Sarcasm or an honest opinion, Bryan?

Honest opinion. The first thing the list did on any rule was tear it down.
Then upon the ruins a greater edifice was erected. It is not possible to
build without first destroying.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 1:48:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@sbcglobal.not> wrote in message
news:Xns94EED58DB1204Yarblookie@207.115.63.158...

> Honest opinion. The first thing the list did on any rule was tear it
down.
> Then upon the ruins a greater edifice was erected. It is not possible to
> build without first destroying.

I was trying to determine if we shared a similar opinion of the end product
or not, actually.

*Smirks*

As I have posted, I was not fond of Blood of Heroes as most of what I liked
about DC Heroes seemed to be missing from BoH. The game should have remained
fluid in places that were made too realistic IMHO.
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 2:45:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"Douglas Uptegraft" <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> abagooba zoink
larblortch news:MI9rc.9773$eH1.5471703@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

>
> "Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@sbcglobal.not> wrote in message
> news:Xns94EED58DB1204Yarblookie@207.115.63.158...
>
>> Honest opinion. The first thing the list did on any rule was tear it
> down.
>> Then upon the ruins a greater edifice was erected. It is not
>> possible to build without first destroying.
>
> I was trying to determine if we shared a similar opinion of the end
> product or not, actually.

You ARE talking about the "Sidekick" version, are you not?
!