Super Heroic RPGs for Practiced Players

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Greetings, all.

With any luck, my post will not start a flame war or get anyone angry at me.
I am also hoping to avoid having my questions sound too stupid....

I have been playing and running in the super-heroic genre for almost as long
as I have been into RPGs. Mayfair's DC Heroes (2nd and 3rd editions mostly),
Champions, Hero System (4th), Superworld, Villains & Vigilantes, Mutants &
Masterminds, Silver Age Sentinels (non-d20), Marvel Universe, and Heroes
Unlimited all come to mind as games I have tried. I am discovering that the
newer games are becoming more universal and tend to focus on d20-based
mechanics.

My question is: Are there any good non-d20 super-hero games left to play? Is
it possible that I have already tried everything??

To be honest, even with all the flaws that low-powered or near-human
characters had when interacting with the rules, Mayfair's DC Heroes was
probably my favorite game. The RPG lost more than licensed rights when it
became Blood of Heroes, seeming to become this joke game that no one carried
amongst my local retailers. I doubt I will see its likes again. Green
Ronin's Mutants & Masterminds comes close in spirit, though I have had
endless difficulties with its movement rules and with its flat experience
jumps (i.e. most Power Level 10 characters are really PL 6 or 7 who needed
the extra points). I even enjoyed GoO's Silver Age Sentinels until my
players could not make simple "spot checks" without my modifying the dice
types involved.

If I seem grumpy, it is because I am becoming disillusioned with what I am
finding on the shelves....
11 answers Last reply
More about super heroic rpgs practiced players
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 06:38:12 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
    <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >If I seem grumpy, it is because I am becoming disillusioned with what I am
    >finding on the shelves....

    Well, I don't know why you'd be disillusioned with some of on that
    list, so it's hard for me to answer the rest of your question.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 06:38:12 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
    <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Greetings, all.
    >
    >With any luck, my post will not start a flame war or get anyone angry at me.
    >I am also hoping to avoid having my questions sound too stupid....
    >
    >I have been playing and running in the super-heroic genre for almost as long
    >as I have been into RPGs. Mayfair's DC Heroes (2nd and 3rd editions mostly),
    >Champions, Hero System (4th), Superworld, Villains & Vigilantes, Mutants &
    >Masterminds, Silver Age Sentinels (non-d20), Marvel Universe, and Heroes
    >Unlimited all come to mind as games I have tried. I am discovering that the
    >newer games are becoming more universal and tend to focus on d20-based
    >mechanics.
    >
    >My question is: Are there any good non-d20 super-hero games left to play? Is
    >it possible that I have already tried everything??

    Have you tried Feng Shui? There's a superhero net supplement for it
    but you could be a street level superhero using those rules even
    without it.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    And on Tue, 18 May 2004 06:38:12 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
    <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> was compelled to utter:

    >To be honest, even with all the flaws that low-powered or near-human
    >characters had when interacting with the rules, Mayfair's DC Heroes was
    >probably my favorite game. The RPG lost more than licensed rights when it
    >became Blood of Heroes, seeming to become this joke game that no one carried
    >amongst my local retailers. I doubt I will see its likes again.

    Out of curiousity, if you enjoy the MEGS system that much then why
    change systems? Simply because it is out of print?
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:59:10 GMT, Someone <no@none.net> wrote:

    >And on Tue, 18 May 2004 06:38:12 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
    ><MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> was compelled to utter:
    >

    >>To be honest, even with all the flaws that low-powered or near-human
    >>characters had when interacting with the rules, Mayfair's DC Heroes was
    >>probably my favorite game. The RPG lost more than licensed rights when it
    >>became Blood of Heroes, seeming to become this joke game that no one carried
    >>amongst my local retailers. I doubt I will see its likes again.
    >
    >Out of curiousity, if you enjoy the MEGS system that much then why
    >change systems? Simply because it is out of print?

    Hey it's no use enjoying a system if there are no other players for it
    and you can't even get rulebooks for your friends.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Douglas Uptegraft" <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> abagooba zoink
    larblortch news:obiqc.8819$eH1.4841057@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

    > characters had when interacting with the rules, Mayfair's DC Heroes
    > was probably my favorite game. The RPG lost more than licensed rights
    > when it became Blood of Heroes, seeming to become this joke game that
    > no one carried amongst my local retailers. I doubt I will see its

    It improved immensely once the input of a bunch of nattering nabobs of
    negativism (the DC list) got added to it.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Someone" <no@none.net> wrote in message

    > Out of curiousity, if you enjoy the MEGS system that much then why change
    systems? Simply because it is out of print?

    I would have to answer that, yes, largely because the game I knew as DC
    Heroes is out of print.

    Actually, after DC Heroes became Blood of Heroes, I had great difficulty
    getting any of the local gaming shops to carry anything related to BoH. I
    managed to find a copy of the Special Edition rules utterly by accident at a
    chain bookstore outlet in the local mall. I read through it and found that
    the flavor of the game had changed along with the loss of license. For
    example, the artwork in the book was ugly and seemingly aimed at 14-year-old
    boys. The number of powers designed to alter or halt the aging process
    astounded me. Minor details but I found it impossible to like the game in
    its new form.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@sbcglobal.not> wrote in message

    > It improved immensely once the input of a bunch of nattering nabobs of
    > negativism (the DC list) got added to it.

    Sarcasm or an honest opinion, Bryan?

    Doug.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:42:05 GMT, "Douglas Uptegraft"
    <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >chain bookstore outlet in the local mall. I read through it and found that
    >the flavor of the game had changed along with the loss of license. For
    >example, the artwork in the book was ugly and seemingly aimed at 14-year-old
    >boys. The number of powers designed to alter or halt the aging process
    >astounded me. Minor details but I found it impossible to like the game in
    >its new form.

    I think this is getting hung up on the look and ignoring whether the
    mechanics will still serve your purposes.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    > "Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@sbcglobal.not> wrote in message
    >
    >> It improved immensely once the input of a bunch of nattering nabobs of
    >> negativism (the DC list) got added to it.
    >
    > Sarcasm or an honest opinion, Bryan?

    Honest opinion. The first thing the list did on any rule was tear it down.
    Then upon the ruins a greater edifice was erected. It is not possible to
    build without first destroying.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    > Honest opinion. The first thing the list did on any rule was tear it
    down.
    > Then upon the ruins a greater edifice was erected. It is not possible to
    > build without first destroying.

    I was trying to determine if we shared a similar opinion of the end product
    or not, actually.

    *Smirks*

    As I have posted, I was not fond of Blood of Heroes as most of what I liked
    about DC Heroes seemed to be missing from BoH. The game should have remained
    fluid in places that were made too realistic IMHO.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Douglas Uptegraft" <MysticCub2003@sbcglobal.net> abagooba zoink
    larblortch news:MI9rc.9773$eH1.5471703@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

    > "Bryan J. Maloney" <cavaggione@sbcglobal.not> wrote in message
    >
    >> Honest opinion. The first thing the list did on any rule was tear it
    > down.
    >> Then upon the ruins a greater edifice was erected. It is not
    >> possible to build without first destroying.
    >
    > I was trying to determine if we shared a similar opinion of the end
    > product or not, actually.

    You ARE talking about the "Sidekick" version, are you not?

Games Video Games