Sign in with
Your question

GTX 680 CU II Top Drivers get PC Stuck at Logon - Help Plz

Last response: in Windows 7
September 1, 2012 8:07:04 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to PCs and I just got a new RIG that I was excited about... till it just didnt work :( 

Below are the specs:

i7 3770K
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
P8Z11-V Deluxe
GTX680 CU II Top
SSD Kingston Hyper X 240Gb
2x 1 TB WD Black Caviar
800 Watts Fractal Power Supply

I installed windows 7 on SSD no prob running smooth
Then i installed all the MB drivers no prob there. (I created a restore point there after the first incident)

Then I used the stock CD to install the GPU drivers.. it says installed successfully then when it restarts, it freezes on the starting windows (the windows logo) screen most of the time. Once it gave me a red screen then the display turned off. and 1 time it gave a multicolor pixel (like almost like a tv with no reception).

So it is defenitely from the VGA drivers. When i roll back to restore it works. I downloaded the latest drivers from asus and installed manually. The exact same thing happens.....

I would really appreciate your help!

(Check-sum on memory returned no errors... anyway does not make sense there is a memory issue if without VGA it works fine...)
September 1, 2012 8:13:01 AM

Tried Drivers from Nvidia hp?
m
l
September 1, 2012 8:17:44 AM

i got it the drivers from the Asus website. Official ones for the exact model I have.
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 8:23:56 AM

i can remember seeing a similar problem with a clients PC a few months back. when you switch your PC on press F8 for windows 7 startup options and try and run windows 7 in Low Resolution mode and see what happens. Then try setting your resolution to your screens native res.
m
l
September 1, 2012 8:29:10 AM

Cromat88 said:
i can remember seeing a similar problem with a clients PC a few months back. when you switch your PC on press F8 for windows 7 startup options and try and run windows 7 in Low Resolution mode and see what happens. Then try setting your resolution to your screens native res.

Will do that, but just now, my SSD suddenly stopped being detected by bios (has the system on it)... now how do i solve that lol... new pcs so bothersome to set up the first time :( 

Just in case i am also running the extended memory diagnostics tool ... and this is taking ages... :( 
m
l
September 1, 2012 8:54:45 AM

I'd check the cabling and bios configuration.
My SSD had a similar problem on a few different occasions.

Most of the time it ended up being that I had reset my bios or changed other settings, and the SATA configuration ended up as IDE instead of AHCI.

Keep in mind that your SATA configuration will be based on how it was setup during Windows installation--if it was IDE when you installed, then it should be IDE now, and vice versa. You can change that manually later on, but getting your system booting seems like a more important issue for now.

As for your resolution issues, have you tried Nvidia's drivers?
If your system is OEM, the retailer may have drivers for your card, but they may not be the most up-to-date.
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:14:54 AM

aramisathei said:
I'd check the cabling and bios configuration.
My SSD had a similar problem on a few different occasions.

Most of the time it ended up being that I had reset my bios or changed other settings, and the SATA configuration ended up as IDE instead of AHCI.

Keep in mind that your SATA configuration will be based on how it was setup during Windows installation--if it was IDE when you installed, then it should be IDE now, and vice versa. You can change that manually later on, but getting your system booting seems like a more important issue for now.

As for your resolution issues, have you tried Nvidia's drivers?
If your system is OEM, the retailer may have drivers for your card, but they may not be the most up-to-date.

Well I got my SSD to work again, seems it was because i had changed the PCI slot to X1 mode.. after i put it back to normal, SSD is detected again...

Now trying to install different drivers... Lets see
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:28:38 AM

When i tried the Nvidia driver, I got blue screen instead of getting stuck at logon.. I tried the start in lower res.. gets stuck again... I don't know whats wrong.. any advice?
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:31:54 AM

I checked on the diagnostics detail:

Root Cause :

Windows32/Slui.exe not proper. old value bla bla and it fixes it then gets stuck again.. any ideas?
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:35:46 AM

As above. Have a very carefull re-check of the inside of your PC. We've all forgotten something at some time!

Carefully check your BIOS, confirm the 1st boot device is your SSD, take note of any BIOS error messages...get back to us with these, try temporarily unplugging all your HDD's.

If you do manage to boot into windows head on over to nvidia and grab the latest driver from there - do a complete nvidia install.

m
l
September 1, 2012 9:55:42 AM

Weird.. It detects SSD, and asks whether i want to boot from it or not. but if i go to bios, in the boot priorities I cannot see the SSD ... so I select it manually, then at restart it works..

And in Bios i can see my 2 WD HDs but when i am inside windows I only see the SSD :S

For the drivers, I have installed all drivers all with the same issue.

I have one driver missing in the device manager: PCI simple communication.. but cant seem to find a driver for it.

i am running win7 64bit
m
l
September 1, 2012 10:15:20 AM

I took a picture of the inside of the PC so someone can spot if there is any cabling issue.. As I said before.. I really can't tell. .
But how can i share the pic?

m
l
September 7, 2012 6:04:00 AM

Guys I solved it.. I just took the vga out and back into the board. I guess it was not installed properly into the board.

Thanks!
m
l
!