Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Just out of curiousity, did they change Cramming at all with the new
rules?

David Johnston wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, did they change Cramming at all with the new
> rules?

Reclassified as an Intellect Skill.
5 points.
Several hours of study to gain Familiarity with a Skill (8- roll), a 1
point language, or a 1 point Skill (e.g. Transport Familiarity, Weapon
Familiarity).
Last for one adventure, then forgotten.
Roll can't be improved.

--
Michael Sears armitage@mhcable.com
"No turning back where the end is in sight.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:53:36 -0400, Michael Sears
<armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com> wrote:

>David Johnston wrote:
>> Just out of curiousity, did they change Cramming at all with the new
>> rules?
>
>Reclassified as an Intellect Skill.
>5 points.
>Several hours of study to gain Familiarity with a Skill (8- roll), a 1
>point language, or a 1 point Skill (e.g. Transport Familiarity, Weapon
>Familiarity).
>Last for one adventure, then forgotten.
>Roll can't be improved.

So, still useless then.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:24:54 GMT, rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) wrote:

>On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:53:36 -0400, Michael Sears
><armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com> wrote:
>
>>David Johnston wrote:
>>> Just out of curiousity, did they change Cramming at all with the new
>>> rules?
>>
>>Reclassified as an Intellect Skill.
>>5 points.
>>Several hours of study to gain Familiarity with a Skill (8- roll), a 1
>>point language, or a 1 point Skill (e.g. Transport Familiarity, Weapon
>>Familiarity).
>>Last for one adventure, then forgotten.
>>Roll can't be improved.
>
>So, still useless then.

Being able to pick up the basics of a language at need or a vehicle op
familiarity is anything but useless.

rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message news:<40b402c9.41283752@news.telusplanet.net>...
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:53:36 -0400, Michael Sears
> <armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com> wrote:
>
> >David Johnston wrote:
> >> Just out of curiousity, did they change Cramming at all with the new
> >> rules?
> >
> >Reclassified as an Intellect Skill.
> >5 points.
> >Several hours of study to gain Familiarity with a Skill (8- roll), a 1
> >point language, or a 1 point Skill (e.g. Transport Familiarity, Weapon
> >Familiarity).
> >Last for one adventure, then forgotten.
> >Roll can't be improved.
>
> So, still useless then.

Has anyone ever considered the possiblities of combining Cramming with
Speed Reading and Eidetic Memory? I figure it is the kind of thing
that the GM will say No too as he beats you into a pulp...
Ken

Wayne Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:24:54 GMT, rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David
> Johnston) wrote:
>>So, still useless then.
>
> Being able to pick up the basics of a language at need or a vehicle op
> familiarity is anything but useless.

Didn't FRED also clarify that it's possible to take Cramming
more than once, and thus cram more than one skill prior to each
session/adventure?

--
Peter Knutsen

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <c9mas0$old$1@news.cybercity.dk>,
Peter Knutsen <peter@knutsen.dk> wrote:

> Wayne Shaw wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:24:54 GMT, rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David
> > Johnston) wrote:
> >>So, still useless then.
> >
> > Being able to pick up the basics of a language at need or a vehicle op
> > familiarity is anything but useless.
>
> Didn't FRED also clarify that it's possible to take Cramming
> more than once, and thus cram more than one skill prior to each
> session/adventure?

Yes.

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
jrc3@cox.net | -- Daniel Burnham

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 06:55:19 +0200, Peter Knutsen <peter@knutsen.dk>
wrote:

>Wayne Shaw wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:24:54 GMT, rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David
>> Johnston) wrote:
>>>So, still useless then.
>>
>> Being able to pick up the basics of a language at need or a vehicle op
>> familiarity is anything but useless.
>
>Didn't FRED also clarify that it's possible to take Cramming
>more than once, and thus cram more than one skill prior to each
>session/adventure?

Yes. Though if you aren't impressed by skill familiarities, you
probably aren't impressed by getting more than one of them.

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:53:36 -0400, Michael Sears
> <armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com> wrote:
>
> >David Johnston wrote:
> >> Just out of curiousity, did they change Cramming at all with the new
> >> rules?
> >
> >Reclassified as an Intellect Skill.
> >5 points.
> >Several hours of study to gain Familiarity with a Skill (8- roll), a 1
> >point language, or a 1 point Skill (e.g. Transport Familiarity, Weapon
> >Familiarity).
> >Last for one adventure, then forgotten.
> >Roll can't be improved.
>
> So, still useless then.

Yeah, still useless. Though I interpret the "roll can't be improved" rule to
mean, as far as my own games go, that you can't *buy* it higher - Skill
Levels still apply. This is because I like the idea of being able to have
several switchable skills that can be at, say, 10-. I really wouldn't allow
a PC to be able to crank it higher than 11- with SLs; if you want a skill
that good, buy the frelling skill.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <eJUvc.14289$hM4.14284@twister.socal.rr.com>,
clebron@san.rr.com says...
> "David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:53:36 -0400, Michael Sears
> > <armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com> wrote:

> > >Reclassified as an Intellect Skill.
> > >5 points.
> > >Several hours of study to gain Familiarity with a Skill (8- roll), a 1
> > >point language, or a 1 point Skill (e.g. Transport Familiarity, Weapon
> > >Familiarity).
> > >Last for one adventure, then forgotten.
> > >Roll can't be improved.
> >
> > So, still useless then.
>
> Yeah, still useless. Though I interpret the "roll can't be improved" rule to
> mean, as far as my own games go, that you can't *buy* it higher - Skill
> Levels still apply.

You can't add skill levels to a familiarity at all, not even if
you pay points for it.

> This is because I like the idea of being able to have
> several switchable skills that can be at, say, 10-.

To do that you need a multipower or VPP, (and GM permission).

--
Phoenix

"Rick Pikul" <rwpikul@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> In article <eJUvc.14289$hM4.14284@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> clebron@san.rr.com says...
> > "David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

Weapon

> > > So, still useless then.
> >
> > Yeah, still useless. Though I interpret the "roll can't be improved"
rule to
> > mean, as far as my own games go, that you can't *buy* it higher - Skill
> > Levels still apply.
>
> You can't add skill levels to a familiarity at all, not even if
> you pay points for it.

I know this. I just disagree with it. I see the point (as I understand it)
of the Cramming skill, but I feel it can be broadened a bit, provided you
keep an eye on it and don't let things get too out of hand.

> > This is because I like the idea of being able to have
> > several switchable skills that can be at, say, 10-.
>
> To do that you need a multipower or VPP, (and GM permission).

Or to change the rules. -shrugs- Frankly, I'd want a *really* good reason
why you'd want a Cramming slot at that level on your character, and would
probably want it limited in some way.

Besides, if I were to go with a VPP, it would probably cost about the same,
or maybe a *little* bit more. Your pool would be about 5-7 pts, and your
control cost would be reduced so hard it would cost 1 pt.

> --
> Phoenix

Chris