Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I hope someone can help me. I am running cctv cams out to my barns for monitoring. They use the composite all in one cable audio, video, power. I dont have audio on these cams so my question is this. To save running so many lines from the cams to the house can i use the audio side for a cam as well? that way for four cams I would only have two lines. Will that work? Thanks

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I'm not sure If you're using a push/pull system but since you said composite I assume it's regular composite that use BNC connector.

If the cables are coax then yes, but I'm not sure if you'll get good signal from that cable.

The best way is to use a baluns and just run 1 RJ45 wire (4 Twisted pair).

Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you Rexter for your response. It has the RCA plugs that have adapters for .
I am not sure what baluns are but I will look it up.is this wire like telephone wire that your talkibg about?

Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I am using a quad 8 cam splitter and the cables are the RCA type. Are the baluns I need the SLA40 UTP type? Thanks so much for your help

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry for late response,

I check the SLA40 UTP type and yes, you need twisted pair for that it would look like the telephone wire but thicker. The same wire use for networking called LAN cable. In it is 8 wires with 2 wires twisted together to make a pair.

You need to run 1 LAN wire (4 twisted pair) from your house to the barn (you can put a box for the camera transformer and terminate then Twisted pair there) somewhere easily accessible and close to the AC wall outlet. Connect the baluns to that twisted pair end and then the other end that connect to your receiver unit. Then connect that balun from the barn to your rca cable and run the wires with power cord to corresponding cameras.

This wiring will cost you more than just regular coax cable but that will eliminate you running more wire.

But if you only need to monitor and not record the cameras then can't you put your quad 8 cam splitter to the barn and just run 1 Coax/RCA wire to your house for your TV? and no need for baluns!.[/img]

Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
But if you only need to monitor and not record the cameras then can't you put your quad 8 cam splitter to the barn and just run 1 Coax/RCA wire to your house for your TV? and no need for baluns!.[/img]

Yrs I could but I have 8 cams on that splitter and not all are to the same area. 4 are outside in various places. And it is remote control and the signal wouldnt reach the barn
And besides that would be too simple right? lol Nothing I seem to do is ever simple it seems

I also was reading that this is passive transfer so no need for power is this correct?

Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Is this the correct wire?

Cat 5 5e Berk-Tek bulk cable

(you can put a box for the camera transformer
what is this transformer your talking about

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Baluns comes with or without power depends on application. If you need to run wire more than a 1000 feet then you'll need one with power. anything less will be none powered.

Cat 5 would be good enough as Cat 5e is more expensive.

The transformer I was referring to is the power supply for your cameras, since it needs 12V DC for those small and least expensive ones and 24 AC for Industrial type cameras.

Unless you already run the power for the camera then disregard that suggestion. It's just It'll be easier to troubleshoot later when everything are at easy to reach.

Sher

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you vert much.Here in the near future I will try to purchase all of this stuff and see how it goes
You have truley been a GREAT help;