Reality Shows and Superheros

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

The Meta-Real Life: Your superhero team is offered a free HQ with
all the frills. The catch is that the feed from the security cameras
all over the HQ and the team vehicle is then edited together into a TV
show starring your characters.

Who Wants to Be a Superhero?: Contestants from all over compete
to show their fitness to be rebuilt into super-powered cyborg
crimefighters. In the sequel, the audience will get to watch them
in action because their cybernetics include a recording device.

Who Wants to Marry a Supervillain?: A super powered criminal
has just finished paying his debt to society and instead of going
back to a life of crime he's decided to take his bad boy glamour
and put it on the open market. 12 women will compete for his
favours as the nation watches.

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> The Meta-Real Life: Your superhero team is offered a free HQ with
> all the frills. The catch is that the feed from the security cameras
> all over the HQ and the team vehicle is then edited together into a TV
> show starring your characters.
>
> Who Wants to Be a Superhero?: Contestants from all over compete
> to show their fitness to be rebuilt into super-powered cyborg
> crimefighters. In the sequel, the audience will get to watch them
> in action because their cybernetics include a recording device.
>
> Who Wants to Marry a Supervillain?: A super powered criminal
> has just finished paying his debt to society and instead of going
> back to a life of crime he's decided to take his bad boy glamour
> and put it on the open market. 12 women will compete for his
> favours as the nation watches.

Just for the record wasn't Stan Lee doing a real world version of the second
one? And there is a Cyberage/IHero story about a guy whose given a
crimefighting suit for a "reality" TV program who goes out and actually
sorta does real hero stuff.

Still cool ideas.

One interesting thing would be to have a superhero whose willing to give up
his secret identity and a bunch of normal guys (or vice versa) and you let
an amateur detective sleuth try and figure out who the real superhero
is---catch of course is the fact that they are setting up events that make
it look like several of them are supers.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> The Meta-Real Life: Your superhero team is offered a free HQ with
> all the frills. The catch is that the feed from the security cameras
> all over the HQ and the team vehicle is then edited together into a TV
> show starring your characters.

The Book Young Justice did this in it's last few issues, I seem to recall.
Didn't get too developed, but it was cool to see Robin as "Mr. Sarcastic."

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:36, rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:
>The Meta-Real Life:
>Who Wants to Be a Superhero?:
>Who Wants to Marry a Supervillain?:

Those are all great ideas and I'm stealing them for my game.

--
chuk

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

>Just for the record wasn't Stan Lee doing a real world version of the second
>one?

I had heard about this, too. I haven't seen anything else on it though. I was
actually going to audition.

Check Wildguard. It's a comic about a contest to find the members of a teram
of heroes. Interesting stuff.

Captain Geek

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> The Meta-Real Life: Your superhero team is offered a free HQ with
> all the frills. The catch is that the feed from the security cameras
> all over the HQ and the team vehicle is then edited together into a TV
> show starring your characters.
>
> Who Wants to Be a Superhero?: Contestants from all over compete
> to show their fitness to be rebuilt into super-powered cyborg
> crimefighters. In the sequel, the audience will get to watch them
> in action because their cybernetics include a recording device.
>
> Who Wants to Marry a Supervillain?: A super powered criminal
> has just finished paying his debt to society and instead of going
> back to a life of crime he's decided to take his bad boy glamour
> and put it on the open market. 12 women will compete for his
> favours as the nation watches.

Hey! Wasn't that guy on "Supers?"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

It shouldn't happen to a Vet
Another batch of hilarious out-takes, fresh from the helmcams of
our brave Supersolders, fighting in The Zone

The Mundane House
Six supers wearing power nullifiers have to live as ordinary
people. This week their old foe Dr Destroyer pays a visit.
(strong language, brief scenes of violence, last in series)

What ever happened to...
We track down the earthly remains of retired superheros
this week the Antimatter kid (last in series).

--
Michael
NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

"Mr. M.J. Lush" <mlush@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> wrote in message
> It shouldn't happen to a Vet
> Another batch of hilarious out-takes, fresh from the helmcams of
> our brave Supersolders, fighting in The Zone

That's right after "Behind the Mask." and will be replaced with the
"S-Metahuman Watch..."

> The Mundane House
> Six supers wearing power nullifiers have to live as ordinary
> people. This week their old foe Dr Destroyer pays a visit.
> (strong language, brief scenes of violence, last in series)

The replacement series is Sanctuary Watch with Joan Rivers and the Maked
Maurader...

> What ever happened to...
> We track down the earthly remains of retired superheros
> this week the Antimatter kid (last in series).

To be replaced with "Parahumans Uncensored"

All on the "S" network for all your Metahuman news and entertainment...

On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:52, "Warren Okuma" <wokuma@lava.net> wrote:
>> The Mundane House
>> Six supers wearing power nullifiers have to live as ordinary
>> people. This week their old foe Dr Destroyer pays a visit.
>> (strong language, brief scenes of violence, last in series)
>
>The replacement series is Sanctuary Watch with Joan Rivers and the Maked
>Maurader...

Is that supposed to be "Masked Marauder" or "Naked Marauder"?

--
chuk

"Chuk Goodin" <cgoodin@sfu.ca> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:52, "Warren Okuma" <wokuma@lava.net> wrote:
> >> The Mundane House
> >> Six supers wearing power nullifiers have to live as ordinary
> >> people. This week their old foe Dr Destroyer pays a visit.
> >> (strong language, brief scenes of violence, last in series)
> >
> >The replacement series is Sanctuary Watch with Joan Rivers and the Maked
> >Maurader...
>
> Is that supposed to be "Masked Marauder" or "Naked Marauder"?

Naked Marauder is on HBO.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote:

[ snip super-reality shows ]

Hero House!

A team of supers has 1 hour to tear down a condemned
building, haul away the rubble, bring fresh supplies
from the warehouse, and construct a brand new dream
home for this week's lucky family.

Amazing Real Super-Videos

This episode: hero catches school bus thrown off cliff;
giant robots attack amusement park; heroes stop tornado.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:22:39 -1000, "Warren Okuma" <wokuma@lava.net>
wrote:

>Hey! Wasn't that guy on "Supers?"

The problem with the "Cops" format is that unlike cops, superheros
have no real reason to cooperate with such a show. The cops
do it for PR because that's important to get public cooperation
and to get support for their funding. I dunno, maybe hero mutants
would do it to combat anti-mutant prejudice.

> On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:22:39 -1000, "Warren Okuma" <wokuma@lava.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hey! Wasn't that guy on "Supers?"
>
> The problem with the "Cops" format is that unlike cops, superheros
> have no real reason to cooperate with such a show. The cops
> do it for PR because that's important to get public cooperation
> and to get support for their funding. I dunno, maybe hero mutants
> would do it to combat anti-mutant prejudice.

Sponsors, get leads, commercials, and mostly because an Egomaniac drags them
into it.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Meta-Court Reporter:

(News, Legal). Ongoing coverage of 3-way lawsuit
between Great American Mall Corp.; Dr. Devious ;
and Captain Fantastic /et al/, following battle
last November at shopping mall.

World's Funniest Super-Bloopers

(Video, Comedy). Villain trapped in bank vault;
hero flies into tree; costume accidents.

>;K

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

America's Dumbest Super Villains:
(Video, Comedy) Footage of Mr Magnetic's attempted escape
through auto-wrecking yard, police extracting The Phantom Hand from a
vault door after he forgot to change the batteries in his Intangibility
Belt, Blooper reel from Dr Destructo's various "Surrender the World"
speeches.

The Cape:
(Fox) The ultimate makeover! We take a group of 90lb weaklings
and expose them to radiation, inject them with unstable alien viruses,
give them ancient cursed artifacts, spray them with unusual chemicals
and have them abducted by aliens. Which one will survive long enough to
develop super-powers?

American Hero:
(Fox) Young meta-humans from all over America compete to see who
the audience will choose to become Fox's new sponsored superhero.

When Giant Robots Attack!:
(Fox) Compilation "documentary" of various giant robot attacks
throughout the world.

The Super Life of.....
(E!) "Rich and Famous" style guide to the lives of public
superhumans and their cribs.

Super Buildings:
(Discovery, Documentary) An insider's eye view to the
headquarters of the world's greatest super teams, explaining the unique
engineering problems they face and their solutions. Also includes "Great
Secret Volcano Bases of the World".

I'm A Superhero, Get Me Out of Here!:
(ABC) Two teams of six superhumans must survive on a remote
island without using their superpowers. Who will come out on top when
the masks come off?

Man of Steel:
(ESPN) Superhumans compete against each other in trials of
strength, speed, intelligence and endurance for the coveted title of
"Man of Steel."

Xtreme Sports!:
(ESPN2) Indestructible superhuman daredevil Xtreme tests his
powers to the limit every week in viewer suggested sports stunts. This
week, Pearl Diving Xtreme style! Can Xtreme retrieve an adamantium
bearing dropped into an active volcano?

Doctor TOC
--
The Reverend Doctor "The Other Chris"
Secret Elf, Jive Talkin' Choirboy, Kóri Wulfmangler

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 05:42:27 GMT, rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:22:39 -1000, "Warren Okuma" <wokuma@lava.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Hey! Wasn't that guy on "Supers?"
>
>The problem with the "Cops" format is that unlike cops, superheros
>have no real reason to cooperate with such a show. The cops
>do it for PR because that's important to get public cooperation
>and to get support for their funding. I dunno, maybe hero mutants
>would do it to combat anti-mutant prejudice.

Many superheroes have the same kind of problems police do with public
perception. Not everyone is Superman.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sat, 29 May 2004 17:00:49 -0400, Doctor TOC <otherchris@erols.com>
wrote:

>America's Dumbest Super Villains:
> (Video, Comedy) Footage of Mr Magnetic's attempted escape
>through auto-wrecking yard, police extracting The Phantom Hand from a
>vault door after he forgot to change the batteries in his Intangibility
>Belt, Blooper reel from Dr Destructo's various "Surrender the World"
>speeches.

Now that is one _dangerous_ show for the people who produce it.

>The Cape:
> (Fox) The ultimate makeover! We take a group of 90lb weaklings
>and expose them to radiation, inject them with unstable alien viruses,
>give them ancient cursed artifacts, spray them with unusual chemicals
>and have them abducted by aliens. Which one will survive long enough to
>develop super-powers?

The problem is, that one would be illegal even with liability waivers.

>American Hero:
> (Fox) Young meta-humans from all over America compete to see who
>the audience will choose to become Fox's new sponsored superhero.

I can see that.

>When Giant Robots Attack!:
> (Fox) Compilation "documentary" of various giant robot attacks
>throughout the world.
>
>The Super Life of.....
> (E!) "Rich and Famous" style guide to the lives of public
>superhumans and their cribs.
>
>Super Buildings:
> (Discovery, Documentary) An insider's eye view to the
>headquarters of the world's greatest super teams, explaining the unique
>engineering problems they face and their solutions. Also includes "Great
>Secret Volcano Bases of the World".
>
>I'm A Superhero, Get Me Out of Here!:
> (ABC) Two teams of six superhumans must survive on a remote
>island without using their superpowers. Who will come out on top when
>the masks come off?

I don't think that one would work. People would want to see
superhumans use their powers and the superhumans wouldn't
want to cut off from their powers.

>Man of Steel:
> (ESPN) Superhumans compete against each other in trials of
>strength, speed, intelligence and endurance for the coveted title of
>"Man of Steel."
>
>Xtreme Sports!:
> (ESPN2) Indestructible superhuman daredevil Xtreme tests his
>powers to the limit every week in viewer suggested sports stunts. This
>week, Pearl Diving Xtreme style! Can Xtreme retrieve an adamantium
>bearing dropped into an active volcano?

Interesting character idea.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) abagooba zoink larblortch

>> (ABC) Two teams of six superhumans must survive on a remote
>>island without using their superpowers. Who will come out on top when
>>the masks come off?
>
> I don't think that one would work. People would want to see
> superhumans use their powers and the superhumans wouldn't
> want to cut off from their powers.

That's why the producers will engineer "challenges", to tempt the
contestants. The show will recruit seventeenth-stringers, who will be
desperate to do anything for publicity. These are the "superheroes" you
would only call after the Justice Society, the Chicago Shoulder Boys, the
local cops, the Boy Scouts, your next door neighbor, and your worthless
brother-in-law all can't be got hold of.

Bryan J. Maloney wrote:

> That's why the producers will engineer "challenges", to tempt the
> contestants. The show will recruit seventeenth-stringers, who will be
> desperate to do anything for publicity. These are the "superheroes" you
> would only call after the Justice Society, the Chicago Shoulder Boys, the
> local cops, the Boy Scouts, your next door neighbor, and your worthless
> brother-in-law all can't be got hold of.

Bingo. The real show this is inspired by used "celebrities" who were
famous only in the sense of "hey, whatever happened to whatisname?" The
superhumans involved would be the metahuman equivalent of MC Hammer and
Vanilla Ice...

Doctor TOC
--
The Reverend Doctor "The Other Chris"
Secret Elf, Jive Talkin' Choirboy, Kóri Wulfmangler
ICQ # 4814586
Argent Games - http://www.argentgames.com
alt.tv.sevendays FAQ - http://welcome.to/7-Days
The TOC Files - http://members.fortunecity.com/toc

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In the super-universe I play in, there is "New York Justice". A
reality show about a super-team. Going out, fighting crime,
supervillians, what have you.

The first season resulted in one superhero's secret ID being totally
blown as the result of a cameraman deliberately violating the rules
and the producers deciding to run the footage, the ruining of a
superheroine's reputation by showing that she was not, as some people
thought, a virgin; the death of a supervillian when someone shot his
jet-backpack while he was flying, sending him \plummeting to his
death....

.....and they're making a second season. This time, though, one of the
big conflicts?

The original New York Justice team - who left the team and took the
name, claiming they were going to just keep working as a superteam
without corporate approval - vs. the new team assembled for the TV
show.

Ratings are expected to be high.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:22:39 -1000, "Warren Okuma" <wokuma@lava.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hey! Wasn't that guy on "Supers?"
>
> The problem with the "Cops" format is that unlike cops, superheros
> have no real reason to cooperate with such a show. The cops
> do it for PR because that's important to get public cooperation
> and to get support for their funding. I dunno, maybe hero mutants
> would do it to combat anti-mutant prejudice.

I dunno, nobody has any real reason to go on Big Brother but they still find
a steady stream of people for it.

--
David Meadows
Heroes: www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts/

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <40be1aa7$0$44288$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
David Meadows <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>I dunno, nobody has any real reason to go on Big Brother but they still find
>a steady stream of people for it.

They are offering total nobodys the chance to become Z list celebs.

--

Geoff Depew <m3phr0n@0pt0nl1n3.n3t> wrote in message news:<uijlb0pjhl2mbn6dosthnjl8csvpnpgs6b@4ax.com>...
> In the super-universe I play in, there is "New York Justice". A
> reality show about a super-team. Going out, fighting crime,
> supervillians, what have you.

snip
> the ruining of a
> superheroine's reputation by showing that she was not, as some people
> thought, a virgin;

Ok, in this day and age how would that revelation ruin someones
reputation? Was she an abstinance advocate exposed as a hipocrite or
what? I would think that, except in the aforementioned case, this
sort of revelation would end up increasing net popularity (it would
drop among some moral conservatives and rise among everyone else).

"Richard Brown" <rbrown@myriad.com> wrote in message
> Geoff Depew <m3phr0n@0pt0nl1n3.n3t> wrote in message
> > In the super-universe I play in, there is "New York Justice". A
> > reality show about a super-team. Going out, fighting crime,
> > supervillians, what have you.
> >
> snip
> > the ruining of a
> > superheroine's reputation by showing that she was not, as some people
> > thought, a virgin;
> >

> Ok, in this day and age how would that revelation ruin someones
> reputation? Was she an abstinance advocate exposed as a hipocrite or
> what? I would think that, except in the aforementioned case, this
> sort of revelation would end up increasing net popularity (it would
> drop among some moral conservatives and rise among everyone else).

Well, if I found out that about Wonder Woman I would stop buying her
comic■

*This is not true, of course. I would simply boycott the writer who did it.

--

Richard Brown wrote:

> I still don't buy it.

That's your prerogative, but none of the people you are talking about exude
the kind of moral superiority that superheroes routinely display. To me it
seems they'd be a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"