Need "upgrade" help

Doyle

I want to go to xp pro from 2000 pro... If I purchase the "upgrade" version
of XP Pro will I be allowed to do a "new" install and reformat my drive which
is what i want to accomplish... tia doyle

In news:2905F9B3-7E84-454E-A832-9E196DF0B809@microsoft.com,
Doyle <Doyle@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I want to go to xp pro from 2000 pro... If I purchase the
> "upgrade"
> version of XP Pro will I be allowed to do a "new" install and
> reformat my drive which is what i want to accomplish... tia
> doyle

Yes. The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a
previous qualifying version's installation CD, not to have it
installed. When setup doesn't find a previous qualifying version
installed, it will prompt you to insert its CD as proof of
ownership. Just insert the previous version's CD, and follow the
prompts. Everything proceeds quite normally and quite
legitimately.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Ass long as you have a Microsoft Windows 2000 CD, you can
use the "Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional to
perform a "clean install".

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP