justash420

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Alright, so for a while I wanted to get a Kindle Fire. That's it, nothing else had crossed my mind. I made a dumb decision to get a Coby Kyros and it was a piece of junk. Anyway, so now I see that the Nook Tablet 8gb is the same price as the Kindle Fire, $199. I did some research and they look basically the same. 7inch screen, 512mh RAM, 8gb storage.

But I found out on the Kindle Fire, you can get Amazon Prime, which I will NOT be getting, since I already have Netflix and a ton of my own shows and movies already.

I also found out that only 1gb is available on the Nook Tablet for user content. Which brings me to my next point. I have a 16gb microSD card that I ordered with the Kyros. I cannot use it on the Kindle Fire, but I can use it on the Nook Tablet.

People keep telling me that I can solve this with the KF by just using the Dropbox app. Great idea, except that means i need a wi-fi connection to transfer. If I'm at home(which has wi-fi), I can just plug it into the PC. If I'm at work, it wont matter because there is no wi-fi there. If I'm traveling, there may be off and on connections. So the 16gb microSD card is sounding like a fantastic plan.

So basically, I'm leaning towards the Nook Tablet. But i have a slight issue. The reason I am getting one of these is so I can play games and watch videos. I love the video and game performance of the Kindle Fire. But how is the Nook Tablet in comparison? i understand 2D games run fine, but what about games like Dungeon Defenders, Dead Space, Guerrilla Bob, Gun Bros, Modern Combat 2, or Shadowgun? I apologize if I sound ignorant, but I have only seen these games on Youtube and on tablets other than the Nook Tablet. And in comparison videos they test out simple 2D games like Angry Birds, nothing graphically demanding.

Any information would be great. Thanks

justash420

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I'm just really looking for a decision between the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet. I narrowed it down to those 2 and can get a refurbished Fire for $170 and the Nook tablet 8gb for around the same on Ebay. I'm just trying to see which plays better on higher quality video and higher quality games.

If they are even or if the Nook performs better, then I'm getting that for the expandable memory. But I also want to know if I can sideload apps and games onto the Nook even if I got them from Amazon or some other source.

justash420

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Wait what? I didn't get a $79 e-reader. And I already stated I am not going to be using any streaming software except Youtube and Netflix, which i can get on both devices and plays better on the Nook. And the app selection doesn't matter when I can get the Amazon store on the Nook as well. I'd still be able to buy the same apps

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

Dropbox synchronizes when you have connection, the files which are in your dropbox folder will be in your dropbox folder even if you have no internet connection. When you come within range of your wifi, any modifications such as additions/subtractions you've made to your dropbox will be synchronized to the central server and subsequently to other machines you're running dropbox on.

I don't remember how much space dropbox allows you to have for free though, it's like 2 or 4 GB, but with that and Google Cloud storage you should be able to get plenty of synchronized data on the KF.

So in other words, don't let the fact you're not always within wifi range stop you from getting a KF and run dropbox.