XP PRO FOR UNIVERSITY STUDENTS

i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard there are
discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade available for students
in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from, as it is
confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to do with
the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not sure if it
is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly appreciated!
13 answers Last reply
More about university students

    Visit the bookstore at your college. MS does not generally
    permit or authorize downloading operating systems. An
    exception is for people and companies that register for the
    TechNet service at a cost of nearly $1,000 US.

    Use Google to search for "Microsoft+academic" and you should
    get the data you want, you could do a tighter search for
    "Microsoft+academic+UK"

    some support

    "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message
    |i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive
    heard there are
    | discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
    available for students
    | in higher education. where are the best places to obtain
    this from, as it is
    | confusing finding the right product. and what does
    microsoft have to do with
    | the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a
    download. im not sure if it
    | is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice
    greatly appreciated!

    Your local university bookstore should have the information
    you are seeking. Microsoft does not permit the downloading
    of its Windows operating systems from any third-party web site.

    Academic Discounts for Education Faculty and Staff
    http://www.microsoft.com/education/AcademicDiscounts.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "PUZZLED JON!" wrote:

    | i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard there are
    | discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade available for students
    | in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from, as it is
    | confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to do with
    | the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not sure if it
    | is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly appreciated!

    "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard there are
    > discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade available for
    > students
    > in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from, as it
    > is
    > confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to do
    > with
    > the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not sure if
    > it
    > is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly appreciated!

    Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why things
    are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is school, or are you
    just so lazy that you can't be bothered?

    Hi,

    Leicester College Software library
    http://msdn63.e-academy.com/lcsc_compt/

    Contact the MSDNAA program administrator for more info about the MSDN-AA program at your school.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Steve Shattuck wrote:
    > "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard
    >> there are discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
    >> available for students
    >> in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from,
    >> as it is
    >> confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to
    >> do with
    >> the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not
    >> sure if it
    >> is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly
    >> appreciated!
    >
    > Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why
    > things are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is
    > school, or are you just so lazy that you can't be bothered?

    I'm afraid, Steve, that this is just about the level of school-leavers these
    days. When I was at school, all exams that involved any amount of writing
    (be it English, science, history, geography, whatever) carried a certain
    amount of marks for accurate spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence
    construction. Therefore, we /knew/ we had to be accurate as it could be the
    difference between passing and failure.

    These days, it would appear, that is no longer the case and students are
    leaving school almost completely illiterate. I read in the Telegraph
    educational supplement that one school (somewhere in either Birmingham or
    Manchester, IIRC) was even allowing students to turn in GCSE essays written
    almost entirely in what I would term 'text-talk' (aka SMS-speak). These are
    essays that are to count as 50% of their English (both language and
    literature) GCSE (or whatever it's called these days). The problem is that
    these essays aren't marked by an outside examiner, but by the Head of
    English.

    It's no wonder these kids are illiterate - they're being allowed to get away
    with it!

    > Steve Shattuck wrote:
    >> "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard
    >>> there are discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
    >>> available for students
    >>> in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from,
    >>> as it is
    >>> confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to
    >>> do with
    >>> the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not
    >>> sure if it
    >>> is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly
    >>> appreciated!
    >>
    >> Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why
    >> things are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is
    >> school, or are you just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
    >
    > I'm afraid, Steve, that this is just about the level of school-leavers
    > these days. When I was at school, all exams that involved any amount of
    > writing (be it English, science, history, geography, whatever) carried a
    > certain amount of marks for accurate spelling, grammar, punctuation and
    > sentence construction. Therefore, we /knew/ we had to be accurate as it
    > could be the difference between passing and failure.
    >
    > These days, it would appear, that is no longer the case and students are
    > leaving school almost completely illiterate. I read in the Telegraph
    > educational supplement that one school (somewhere in either Birmingham or
    > Manchester, IIRC) was even allowing students to turn in GCSE essays
    > written almost entirely in what I would term 'text-talk' (aka SMS-speak).
    > These are essays that are to count as 50% of their English (both language
    > and literature) GCSE (or whatever it's called these days). The problem is
    > that these essays aren't marked by an outside examiner, but by the Head of
    > English.
    >
    > It's no wonder these kids are illiterate - they're being allowed to get
    > away with it!

    While I usually disagree with posts about grammar I must say that in this
    case you are right. I can't imagine how someone could get to that level of
    education with spelling and puctuation that bad.

    Kerry

    Do they teach you this is school, or are you
    > just so lazy that you can't be bothered?

    I suspect he attended the same school where you learned about manners,
    encouragement and being helpful.

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    Come on! The guy says he is attending a university and can't write a simple
    paragraph? What is this world in for?

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
    > Do they teach you this is school, or are you
    >> just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
    >
    > I suspect he attended the same school where you learned about manners,
    > encouragement and being helpful.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > John Waller

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:27:21 -0400, "Richard Urban"
    <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Come on! The guy says he is attending a university and can't write a simple
    >paragraph? What is this world in for?

    This is a technical help forum. It exists to help people with computer issues.

    If he was posting in alt.advice.grammar-and-spelling (which admittedly, he could
    stand to do), you wouldn't expect the experts there to lecture him on the
    advantages of writing his essay on a MAC vs Windows system, or on how to backup
    his essay properly across the network, would you?

    So why do we waste time discussing his grammar?

    When you went to school, it's too bad they let you graduate a stifling,
    uptight shrew who has no common courtesy or a social filters.

    > Steve Shattuck wrote:
    >> "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard
    >>> there are discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
    >>> available for students
    >>> in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from,
    >>> as it is
    >>> confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to
    >>> do with
    >>> the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not
    >>> sure if it
    >>> is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly
    >>> appreciated!
    >>
    >> Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why
    >> things are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is
    >> school, or are you just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
    >
    > I'm afraid, Steve, that this is just about the level of school-leavers
    > these days. When I was at school, all exams that involved any amount of
    > writing (be it English, science, history, geography, whatever) carried a
    > certain amount of marks for accurate spelling, grammar, punctuation and
    > sentence construction. Therefore, we /knew/ we had to be accurate as it
    > could be the difference between passing and failure.
    >
    > These days, it would appear, that is no longer the case and students are
    > leaving school almost completely illiterate. I read in the Telegraph
    > educational supplement that one school (somewhere in either Birmingham or
    > Manchester, IIRC) was even allowing students to turn in GCSE essays
    > written almost entirely in what I would term 'text-talk' (aka SMS-speak).
    > These are essays that are to count as 50% of their English (both language
    > and literature) GCSE (or whatever it's called these days). The problem is
    > that these essays aren't marked by an outside examiner, but by the Head of
    > English.
    >
    > It's no wonder these kids are illiterate - they're being allowed to get
    > away with it!

    > Come on!

    I think he came here for technical advice rather than a spelling and grammar
    lecture.

    Perhaps he posted in a rush......

    Perhaps English is not his first langauage.....

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    If it offends your sensibilities then you can ignore it. Or add to your
    killfile.

    > Come on! The guy says he is attending a university and can't write a
    > simple paragraph? What is this world in for?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Do they teach you this is school, or are you
    >>> just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
    >>
    >> I suspect he attended the same school where you learned about manners,
    >> encouragement and being helpful.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> John Waller

    You think so? The world hasn't changed, you've just become a grumpy old
    woman, that's all.

    -Winux P

    > Steve Shattuck wrote:
    >> "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard
    >>> there are discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
    >>> available for students
    >>> in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from,
    >>> as it is
    >>> confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to
    >>> do with
    >>> the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not
    >>> sure if it
    >>> is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly
    >>> appreciated!
    >>
    >> Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why
    >> things are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is
    >> school, or are you just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
    >
    > I'm afraid, Steve, that this is just about the level of school-leavers
    > these days. When I was at school, all exams that involved any amount of
    > writing (be it English, science, history, geography, whatever) carried a
    > certain amount of marks for accurate spelling, grammar, punctuation and
    > sentence construction. Therefore, we /knew/ we had to be accurate as it
    > could be the difference between passing and failure.
    >
    > These days, it would appear, that is no longer the case and students are
    > leaving school almost completely illiterate. I read in the Telegraph
    > educational supplement that one school (somewhere in either Birmingham or
    > Manchester, IIRC) was even allowing students to turn in GCSE essays
    > written almost entirely in what I would term 'text-talk' (aka SMS-speak).
    > These are essays that are to count as 50% of their English (both language
    > and literature) GCSE (or whatever it's called these days). The problem is
    > that these essays aren't marked by an outside examiner, but by the Head of
    > English.
    >
    > It's no wonder these kids are illiterate - they're being allowed to get
    > away with it!

Download Microsoft Windows XP