XP PRO FOR UNIVERSITY STUDENTS

i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard there are
discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade available for students
in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from, as it is
confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to do with
the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not sure if it
is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly appreciated!

Visit the bookstore at your college. MS does not generally
permit or authorize downloading operating systems. An
exception is for people and companies that register for the
TechNet service at a cost of nearly $1,000 US.

Use Google to search for "Microsoft+academic" and you should
get the data you want, you could do a tighter search for
"Microsoft+academic+UK"

some support

"PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
|i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive
heard there are
| discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
available for students
| in higher education. where are the best places to obtain
this from, as it is
| confusing finding the right product. and what does
microsoft have to do with
| the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a
download. im not sure if it
| is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice
greatly appreciated!

Your local university bookstore should have the information
you are seeking. Microsoft does not permit the downloading
of its Windows operating systems from any third-party web site.

Academic Discounts for Education Faculty and Staff
http://www.microsoft.com/education/AcademicDiscounts.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"PUZZLED JON!" wrote:

| i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard there are
| discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade available for students
| in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from, as it is
| confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to do with
| the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not sure if it
| is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly appreciated!

"PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard there are
> discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade available for
> students
> in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from, as it
> is
> confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to do
> with
> the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not sure if
> it
> is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly appreciated!

Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why things
are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is school, or are you
just so lazy that you can't be bothered?

Hi,

Leicester College Software library
http://msdn63.e-academy.com/lcsc_compt/

Contact the MSDNAA program administrator for more info about the MSDN-AA program at your school.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Steve Shattuck wrote:
> "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard
>> there are discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
>> available for students
>> in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from,
>> as it is
>> confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to
>> do with
>> the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not
>> sure if it
>> is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly
>> appreciated!
>
> Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why
> things are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is
> school, or are you just so lazy that you can't be bothered?

I'm afraid, Steve, that this is just about the level of school-leavers these
days. When I was at school, all exams that involved any amount of writing
(be it English, science, history, geography, whatever) carried a certain
amount of marks for accurate spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence
construction. Therefore, we /knew/ we had to be accurate as it could be the
difference between passing and failure.

These days, it would appear, that is no longer the case and students are
leaving school almost completely illiterate. I read in the Telegraph
educational supplement that one school (somewhere in either Birmingham or
Manchester, IIRC) was even allowing students to turn in GCSE essays written
almost entirely in what I would term 'text-talk' (aka SMS-speak). These are
essays that are to count as 50% of their English (both language and
literature) GCSE (or whatever it's called these days). The problem is that
these essays aren't marked by an outside examiner, but by the Head of
English.

It's no wonder these kids are illiterate - they're being allowed to get away
with it!

> Steve Shattuck wrote:
>> "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard
>>> there are discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
>>> available for students
>>> in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from,
>>> as it is
>>> confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to
>>> do with
>>> the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not
>>> sure if it
>>> is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly
>>> appreciated!
>>
>> Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why
>> things are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is
>> school, or are you just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
>
> I'm afraid, Steve, that this is just about the level of school-leavers
> these days. When I was at school, all exams that involved any amount of
> writing (be it English, science, history, geography, whatever) carried a
> certain amount of marks for accurate spelling, grammar, punctuation and
> sentence construction. Therefore, we /knew/ we had to be accurate as it
> could be the difference between passing and failure.
>
> These days, it would appear, that is no longer the case and students are
> leaving school almost completely illiterate. I read in the Telegraph
> educational supplement that one school (somewhere in either Birmingham or
> Manchester, IIRC) was even allowing students to turn in GCSE essays
> written almost entirely in what I would term 'text-talk' (aka SMS-speak).
> These are essays that are to count as 50% of their English (both language
> and literature) GCSE (or whatever it's called these days). The problem is
> that these essays aren't marked by an outside examiner, but by the Head of
> English.
>
> It's no wonder these kids are illiterate - they're being allowed to get
> away with it!

While I usually disagree with posts about grammar I must say that in this
case you are right. I can't imagine how someone could get to that level of
education with spelling and puctuation that bad.

Kerry

Do they teach you this is school, or are you
> just so lazy that you can't be bothered?

I suspect he attended the same school where you learned about manners,
encouragement and being helpful.

--
Regards

John Waller

Come on! The guy says he is attending a university and can't write a simple
paragraph? What is this world in for?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
> Do they teach you this is school, or are you
>> just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
>
> I suspect he attended the same school where you learned about manners,
> encouragement and being helpful.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> John Waller

Ralph

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:27:21 -0400, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Come on! The guy says he is attending a university and can't write a simple
>paragraph? What is this world in for?

This is a technical help forum. It exists to help people with computer issues.

If he was posting in alt.advice.grammar-and-spelling (which admittedly, he could
stand to do), you wouldn't expect the experts there to lecture him on the
advantages of writing his essay on a MAC vs Windows system, or on how to backup
his essay properly across the network, would you?

So why do we waste time discussing his grammar?

When you went to school, it's too bad they let you graduate a stifling,
uptight shrew who has no common courtesy or a social filters.

> Steve Shattuck wrote:
>> "PUZZLED JON!" <PUZZLEDJON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> i am a student at the university of leicester, england. ive heard
>>> there are discounted versions of windows xp proffesional upgrade
>>> available for students
>>> in higher education. where are the best places to obtain this from,
>>> as it is
>>> confusing finding the right product. and what does microsoft have to
>>> do with
>>> the studentoptions.com site which sells this as a download. im not
>>> sure if it
>>> is practical to download a copy of windows?any advice greatly
>>> appreciated!
>>
>> Given the punctuation in this message, we can fully understand why
>> things are so challenging in England. Do they teach you this is
>> school, or are you just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
>
> I'm afraid, Steve, that this is just about the level of school-leavers
> these days. When I was at school, all exams that involved any amount of
> writing (be it English, science, history, geography, whatever) carried a
> certain amount of marks for accurate spelling, grammar, punctuation and
> sentence construction. Therefore, we /knew/ we had to be accurate as it
> could be the difference between passing and failure.
>
> These days, it would appear, that is no longer the case and students are
> leaving school almost completely illiterate. I read in the Telegraph
> educational supplement that one school (somewhere in either Birmingham or
> Manchester, IIRC) was even allowing students to turn in GCSE essays
> written almost entirely in what I would term 'text-talk' (aka SMS-speak).
> These are essays that are to count as 50% of their English (both language
> and literature) GCSE (or whatever it's called these days). The problem is
> that these essays aren't marked by an outside examiner, but by the Head of
> English.
>
> It's no wonder these kids are illiterate - they're being allowed to get
> away with it!

> Come on!

I think he came here for technical advice rather than a spelling and grammar
lecture.

Perhaps he posted in a rush......

Perhaps English is not his first langauage.....

--
Regards

John Waller

If it offends your sensibilities then you can ignore it. Or add to your
killfile.

> Come on! The guy says he is attending a university and can't write a
> simple paragraph? What is this world in for?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
>> Do they teach you this is school, or are you
>>> just so lazy that you can't be bothered?
>>
>> I suspect he attended the same school where you learned about manners,
>> encouragement and being helpful.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> John Waller

You think so? The world hasn't changed, you've just become a grumpy old
woman, that's all.

-Winux P