Beep! Replacing RDRAM not working.

B_Nietsnie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004
So I have an old HP Pavillion 9870 that currently has 2x64MB = 128MB RAM. I am trying to replace it with a 1x256MB = 256MB RAM. When I exchange them, I turn on my computer and it beeps for 5 seconds. The hard drive starts turning, everything is churning, but the monitor aint burning. Nothing gets displayed, it doesn't refreseh. Obviously it's an issue with the new RAM, for it works with the normal RAM. Any ideas?

Here is the info I can find about these two pieces...

Current RAM: NEC MC-4R64CPE6C-653
-IO Frequnce = 600Mhz
-RAC = 53ns
-Direct RDRAM Memory Module
-4RIMM700

New RAM: Samsung MR16R1628DFO
-IO Frequnce = 800Mhz
-RAC = 40ns
-CMOS DRAM
-RDRAM

If anybody can interpret those numbers, can you tell me if there are any incompatabilities?! This is really bugging me as the comp suck royal arse right now... its getting very overworked. Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, let's go through the list:

1. If it's a Pentium III system (i820 or i840 chipset), it can use single modules, but requires a termination module (CRIMM) in EVERY empty slot.
2.) If it's a Pentium 4 system (i850 or i850E chipset), it requires PAIRS of RDRAM to function, plus the CRIMM modules in the empty slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

B_Nietsnie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004
Thank you Crashman! I have a Pentium 4 (don't know the chipset).

So let me get it straight. What you are saying is that I MUST have two RAM slots filled. So that would mean I need to get another 256MB stick correct?

As for the CRIMM modules. I have basically four slots. Two have the RAM in them, and then the two other have the CRIMM modules I assume. Like: R C R C. Will these CRIMM modules work with the 256MB RAM module?

And for my last question, is there anypoint in getting 512MB RAM on my PC? Basically the problem is is that the computer slows dows A LOT when doing more than one task. As well, it takes about one full minute for the internet browser to launch. Is this RAM related or something else? (It is a Pentium 4 1.3Ghz, 60GB hard drive (prob 4200rpm))

Thanks for the great help!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What I'm saying is that you MUST have ALL the RAM slots filled. In your situation that would be 2 slots filled with RIMMS (RDRAM modules) and the other two filled with CRIMM modules.

The CRIMM modules are a standard part, nothing special abou them, your old ones will work no matter what RAM you're using.

If you're running Windows 98 Second Edition, 128MB should be sufficient. If you're using Windows ME, 128MB is a little on the short side but still works. If you're running Windows XP, 256MB is barely enough but 512MB is sufficient.

So yess, you'll want to buy a matching 256MB module.

You see, PC800 and similar modules are 16-bit. But the 850 chipset series memory controller has a 32-bit pathway. So you need to use the modules in matched pairs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

B_Nietsnie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004
I have Windows XP so I guess I will get another 256MB RDRAM module. Does it have to be the same company, same product, same model etc? Or can it be just any other 256MB DRAM module?

Crashman you rock!

B_Nietsnie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004
And another question... do the two RDRAM modules have to be the same size? Like, can I put my new card into one of the old card's slots? So that I have one old and one new module. Will that work?

And for the above question, if it does not have to be same model/company, what are some suggestions for a 256MB RDRAM module? Not heavy gaming, but definantly gaming. Computer used a lot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RDRAM modules have to be the same size and speed, and should be the same layout (same number of chips) in order to work right. Unmatched sizes at best won't work at all, or else they would both have to take the characteristics of the smaller module.

You don't seem to realize what I'm saying here. You probably don't remember old Pentium 1 systems with EDO DRAM, but it's the same concept, you need matched pairs because the memory controller is treating the 2 matched modules as 2 sides of a single pathway. If you were driving a car with a locked differential and tried 2 different sized tires, the smaller one would be dragging. Otherwise, you'd have to drive in circles all day. Unmatched sizes don't work (although I have seen back in the EDO days unmatched pairs working with both functioning at the smaller size). Unmatched speeds often don't work, they would both have to run at the slower speed in order to function at all.