I need help finding email client name

Does anyone know how to obtain the name of the current
user's e-mail client from VBA code? E.g., "Outlook",
"Outlook Express", etc.

Thanks,
Bill
7 answers Last reply
More about finding email client name

    Bill wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to obtain the name of the current
    > user's e-mail client from VBA code? E.g., "Outlook",
    > "Outlook Express", etc.
    Hi,

    Read the default value under the registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks! Do you know how to read a Registry value
    from VBA code? That's the task I have.
    Thanks again,
    Bill

    Bill wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know how to obtain the name of the current
    >>> user's e-mail client from VBA code? E.g., "Outlook",
    >>> "Outlook Express", etc.
    >>

    >> Read the default value under the registry key
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
    >
    > Thanks! Do you know how to read a Registry value
    > from VBA code? That's the task I have.
    > Thanks again,
    > Bill
    Hi,

    Use the RegRead method of the WshShell object in the Windows Script
    Host (WSH) Object Model:

    '--------------------8<----------------------
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    sDefaultMail = oShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\")
    MsgBox sDefaultMail
    '--------------------8<----------------------

    WSH 5.6 documentation (local help file) can be downloaded from here
    if you haven't got it already:

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks Torgeir, I'm sure there's a VBA couter-part to the Script
    code you sent. If not, I have the Script Host and will use the code
    you sent.

    Bill wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks! Do you know how to read a Registry value
    >>> from VBA code? That's the task I have.
    >>
    >> Use the RegRead method of the WshShell object in the Windows
    >> Script Host (WSH) Object Model:
    >>
    >> '--------------------8<----------------------
    >> Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    >> sDefaultMail = oShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\")
    >> MsgBox sDefaultMail
    >> '--------------------8<----------------------
    >>

    > Thanks Torgeir, I'm sure there's a VBA couter-part to the Script
    > code code you sent. If not, I have the Script Host and will use
    > the you sent.
    Hi,

    The code I posted ran successfully in a Excel macro I created...

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir, from your macro example, I created a
    simple function:
    ====================================
    Public Function GetDfltEmailClient() As String
    Dim objShell As Object

    Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    GetDfltEmailClient = objShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\")
    End Function
    ====================================
    I've posted elsewhere a question relating to the down-side
    of coding with a dependency on the Script Host, as I can't
    guarantee exactly where the code might run. It's not likely
    that anything older than a 98SE with Office2000 system
    would be encountered, but I'd like the experience of other
    major Access users.

    Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.

    Bill wrote:

    > Torgeir, from your macro example, I created a
    > simple function:
    > ====================================
    > Public Function GetDfltEmailClient() As String
    > Dim objShell As Object
    >
    > Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    > GetDfltEmailClient = objShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\")
    > End Function
    > ====================================
    > I've posted elsewhere a question relating to the down-side
    > of coding with a dependency on the Script Host, as I can't
    > guarantee exactly where the code might run. It's not likely
    > that anything older than a 98SE with Office2000 system
    > would be encountered, but I'd like the experience of other
    > major Access users.
    >
    > Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.
    Hi,

    For 98SE and newer, the code should work fine.

    For older than 98SE, as long as Internet Explorer 5.01 or newer
    is installed, it will also work fine.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Outlook Express Email Microsoft Windows XP