The Verdict is in. I will be moving over to linux
mandrake (mandriva) soon. Will continue to help here until
then. The problems with explorer malfunctioning when
moving/renaming files clinched the move.
--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Well.....we'll all miss the huge number of helpfull suggestions you've made
in this newsgroup.
I just cant seem to find any with your name on it
good luck with Linux
peterk

the problem
"Lester Stiefel" <les7954@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The Verdict is in. I will be moving over to linux
> mandrake (mandriva) soon. Will continue to help here until
> then. The problems with explorer malfunctioning when
> moving/renaming files clinched the move.
> --
> Lester Stiefel
> In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
> which describe him in the last days.
> Is your quality found on this list??

Thank you for letting us know you'll be reverting
to an inferior Operating System. Don't count on
your applications migrating successfully.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Lester Stiefel" wrote:

| The Verdict is in. I will be moving over to linux
| mandrake (mandriva) soon. Will continue to help here until
| then. The problems with explorer malfunctioning when
| moving/renaming files clinched the move.
| --
| Lester Stiefel

All I can say is that you have made your choice and I wish you luck with it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Lester Stiefel" <les7954@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The Verdict is in. I will be moving over to linux
> mandrake (mandriva) soon. Will continue to help here until
> then. The problems with explorer malfunctioning when
> moving/renaming files clinched the move.
> --
> Lester Stiefel
> In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
> which describe him in the last days.
> Is your quality found on this list??

help

inferior your dumb @ss. Why don't you get a real job you don't know the
first thing about Windows, How can you call anything inferior??
You probably are too STUPID to learn how to install Linux. Those who install
it have found it a wonderful, troublefree system.
Why don't you just stay out of the group and stop giving BAD ADVICE.

> Thank you for letting us know you'll be reverting
> to an inferior Operating System. Don't count on
> your applications migrating successfully.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Lester Stiefel" wrote:
>
> | The Verdict is in. I will be moving over to linux
> | mandrake (mandriva) soon. Will continue to help here until
> | then. The problems with explorer malfunctioning when
> | moving/renaming files clinched the move.
> | --
> | Lester Stiefel

Take a moment to read the Rules of Conduct before participating on online communities:

an extract from there: "Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to exchange
technical information and expertise about Microsoft products. Please avoid personal attacks, slurs,
and profanity in your interactions."

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Lester Stiefel wrote:

> The Verdict is in. I will be moving over to linux
> mandrake (mandriva) soon. Will continue to help here until
> then. The problems with explorer malfunctioning when
> moving/renaming files clinched the move.

VERY smart move! I did it some time ago and have been more than happy.
Finally a stable OS without worrying about malware, trojans, worms,
viruses, adware, etc. etc. This system of mine just keeps on running and is
loaded with tons of quality and free open source software.

Never have to worry about the tedious upkeep required in Windows, like
defragging my hard drives or keeping up with all the various anti-malware
updates. On top of that, I can load the OS on as many different computers
around here without ever worrying about activation, purchasing additional
licenses, etc. Installation is quicker than installing XP and all hardware
drivers get installed when the OS installs, instead of having to search
them out afterwards. My system runs twice as fast as it did running XP (as
does my broadband connection), has a more customizable desktop that looks
much better than XP will ever look and far more functional. Downloading and
installing one of 18,000+ software packages just requires a click of the
mouse thanks to Easy URPMI. (http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/)

Welcome to the world of a REAL operating system that gives you choice and
power far beyond anything available in XP. If I had to purchase equivalent
software for XP, I'd be spending thousands of dollars and left to the whim
of the closed source developers if the software has a problem. Mandrake
rocks!

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Can you run the latest version of AutoCAD on Linux? How about PhotoShop?
Adobe Acrobat 7.0?

These are business class programs. Can Linux do it?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Richard Urban wrote:

> Can you run the latest version of AutoCAD on Linux? How about PhotoShop?
> Adobe Acrobat 7.0?
>
> These are business class programs. Can Linux do it?

I am running Acrobat Reader 7.0 on my system. I don't run PhotoShop of
course, but prefer the Gimp anyways and it's free.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

You didn't answer my question!

How can you advocate for something if someone asks you an intelligent
question (because I am a rank beginner with CORE 4) you sidestep the
question?

I need these programs!

--

Richard Urban wrote:

> Can you run the latest version of AutoCAD on Linux? How about PhotoShop?
> Adobe Acrobat 7.0?
>
> These are business class programs. Can Linux do it?

Oops, sorry I didn't reply regarding AutoCAD. I have no use for a CAD
program. If I required one, yes, I could find a CAD program that would run
under Linux. Here are a couple:

http://www.linuxcad.com/

http://www.varicad.com/

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

No! I MUST use AutoCAD. It is a requisite of the companies I sub-contract
to!

--

Richard Urban wrote:

> No! I MUST use AutoCAD. It is a requisite of the companies I sub-contract
> to!

Well Richard, if YOU must use AutoCAD then you could run it under WINE
within Linux. Like I said, I have no need for CAD. But assume that the
product of CAD uses a common file format that is more than likely produced
by numerous CAD programs and perfectly readable by someone running AutoCAD.
But who knows? You're the expert.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

OK. I shall try it that way.

Thanks! Time to experiment.

--

Richard Urban wrote:

> You didn't answer my question!
>
> How can you advocate for something if someone asks you an intelligent
> question (because I am a rank beginner with CORE 4) you sidestep the
> question?
>
> I need these programs!

You "need" them or you want them? Will a TIF, JPG or whatever file be any
different to the enduser if produced with Gimp or PhotoShop? When you come
across a JPG on a website, do you insist it had to be created with
PhotoShop? Methinks you're just bullshitting around here. Whatever
MickeyMouse taught you YOU NEED is more than likely available elsewhere
from the open source community. But it's your dollars and if you're foolish
enough to spend megabucks for propreitary "solutions" to obtain results,
then that's YOUR problem.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Malke

Richard Urban wrote:

> All I can say is that you have made your choice and I wish you luck
> with it.

I usually avoid participating in these threads because they are so
stupid. However, I just want to point something out to try and get all
of you to step out of your rigid mindset: why do you all feel you have
to "choose"? Why limit yourself to only using one operating system?
That attitude made sense back in the day when computers and hard drives
were expensive, but not any more.

Windows does some things very, very well. Linux does some things very,
very well. OSX does some things very, very well. Using different
operating systems is not only useful but fun. Why place artificial
limits on yourselves? It doesn't have to be "either or".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> Richard Urban wrote:
>
>> All I can say is that you have made your choice and I wish you luck
>> with it.
>>
> I usually avoid participating in these threads because they are so
> stupid. However, I just want to point something out to try and get all
> of you to step out of your rigid mindset: why do you all feel you have
> to "choose"? Why limit yourself to only using one operating system?
> That attitude made sense back in the day when computers and hard drives
> were expensive, but not any more.
>
> Windows does some things very, very well. Linux does some things very,
> very well. OSX does some things very, very well. Using different
> operating systems is not only useful but fun. Why place artificial
> limits on yourselves? It doesn't have to be "either or".
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Well said. Why impose limits on yourself?

Kerry

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:36:24 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>Lester Stiefel wrote:
>
>> The Verdict is in. I will be moving over to linux
>> mandrake (mandriva) soon. Will continue to help here until
>> then. The problems with explorer malfunctioning when
>> moving/renaming files clinched the move.
>
>VERY smart move! I did it some time ago and have been more than happy.
>Finally a stable OS without worrying about malware, trojans, worms,
>viruses, adware, etc. etc. This system of mine just keeps on running and is
>loaded with tons of quality and free open source software.

That is of course your opinion. I've been running both Mandrake 10.1
and XP Pro. I prefer XP, as I haven't had a lockup/reboot now, except
for some hotfixes, in over a year. My Linux install has locked up
twice this month, needing rebooting (oh, and what is this, the Second
of July?). I've used both Linux open source and Windows programs and
personally, prefer the Windows versions, but to each his own I guess.

>Never have to worry about the tedious upkeep required in Windows, like
>defragging my hard drives or keeping up with all the various anti-malware
>updates.

I rarely defrag my hard drive and have never had any problems. Same
for the hundreds of computers I maintain at work that use XP. No
problems. The software updates are pretty automatic.

Also, don't pretend that Linux doesn't have just as many patches and
security fixes as Windows. It isn't hit as hard by virus writers
because it has such a tiny slice of the OS market. As it gains market
share, you'll see more and more viruses written for it, you wait and
see.

>On top of that, I can load the OS on as many different computers
>around here without ever worrying about activation, purchasing additional
>licenses, etc. Installation is quicker than installing XP and all hardware
>drivers get installed when the OS installs, instead of having to search
>them out afterwards.

Don't pretend this always happens. EVERYTHING in my XP box was
detected on Windows setup, which was done in 32 minutes. The Linux
install took over an hour, on identical hardware, and I had to do some
searching to get some of the hardware drivers to work.

>My system runs twice as fast as it did running XP (as
>does my broadband connection), has a more customizable desktop that looks
>much better than XP will ever look and far more functional. Downloading and
>installing one of 18,000+ software packages just requires a click of the
>mouse thanks to Easy URPMI. (http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/)

I've experienced about the same speed on both systems. As for how
fast your broadband connection runs, come on. Your connection will
only run AT THE SPEED OF THE CONNECTION. The OS doesn't control this;
the ISP does. Don't cloud that issue. I also can't get Linux to give
me the same resolutions as XP does on my desktop, meaning I have less
screen real-estate to work with, a big minus in some of my desktop
graphic work.

>Welcome to the world of a REAL operating system that gives you choice and
>power far beyond anything available in XP. If I had to purchase equivalent
>software for XP, I'd be spending thousands of dollars and left to the whim
>of the closed source developers if the software has a problem. Mandrake
>rocks!

I find it's programs less intuitive than Windows versions, but let's
face it, that's because there is very little money in it so the
writers don't spend as much of their effort on it.

If you like it fine, that's great, go use Linux. Just don't try
pushing it in a group dedicated to Windows XP.

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, NobodyMan had this to say:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:36:24 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:
>
>>Lester Stiefel wrote:
>>
>>> The Verdict is in. I will be moving over to linux
>>> mandrake (mandriva) soon. Will continue to help here until
>>> then. The problems with explorer malfunctioning when
>>> moving/renaming files clinched the move.
>>
>>VERY smart move! I did it some time ago and have been more than happy.
>>Finally a stable OS without worrying about malware, trojans, worms,
>>viruses, adware, etc. etc. This system of mine just keeps on running and
>>is loaded with tons of quality and free open source software.
>
> That is of course your opinion. I've been running both Mandrake 10.1
> and XP Pro. I prefer XP, as I haven't had a lockup/reboot now, except
> for some hotfixes, in over a year. My Linux install has locked up
> twice this month, needing rebooting (oh, and what is this, the Second
> of July?). I've used both Linux open source and Windows programs and
> personally, prefer the Windows versions, but to each his own I guess.

Windows versions of what? You prefer the Windows version of FireFox over the
Linux version? Or do you mean you prefer spending money on Windows software
as opposed to getting Open Source Software for free? If the latter, then
you indeed are unique and might I add, not too bright.

>>Never have to worry about the tedious upkeep required in Windows, like
>>defragging my hard drives or keeping up with all the various anti-malware
>>updates.
>
> I rarely defrag my hard drive and have never had any problems. Same
> for the hundreds of computers I maintain at work that use XP. No
> problems. The software updates are pretty automatic.

Gawd help those hundreds of computer users you support at work if you've
never had to defrag their Windows hard drives. They must be magical hard
drives, because every Windows system I've heard of requires regular
defragging of the hard drive to keep them "tuned" and working at some kind
of half-ass decent speed.

> Also, don't pretend that Linux doesn't have just as many patches and
> security fixes as Windows. It isn't hit as hard by virus writers
> because it has such a tiny slice of the OS market. As it gains market
> share, you'll see more and more viruses written for it, you wait and
> see.

Yeh, heard this MickeyMouse FUD for years now and it is just so much b.s.
One only has to look at what is driving the Internet to see that the
preferred method is using LAMP servers (Linux, Apache, mySQL, PHP) and if
there is any opportunity to try and do damage it is to hit these web
servers. Yet, why have there been no successful viruses directed at them?
For the same reason there isn't to Linux boxes generally. The OS itself is
written properly so that viruses can't do damage to the OS. The VERY few
viruses written for Linux that have been tested in labs show that they are
not effectual in terms of impacting the OS in any major way like the
Windoze viruses (thousands of them) circulating around the Net.

>>On top of that, I can load the OS on as many different computers
>>around here without ever worrying about activation, purchasing additional
>>licenses, etc. Installation is quicker than installing XP and all hardware
>>drivers get installed when the OS installs, instead of having to search
>>them out afterwards.
>
> Don't pretend this always happens. EVERYTHING in my XP box was
> detected on Windows setup, which was done in 32 minutes. The Linux
> install took over an hour, on identical hardware, and I had to do some
> searching to get some of the hardware drivers to work.

Again, more FUD. I'm not aware of very many motherboards today that don't
require their special driver package to be installed AFTER Windoze XP is
installed. Also,what you fail to mention is that when most Linux distros
are installed, not only is the OS installed but hundreds of software
packages are installed at the same time and this generally happens in well
under an hour. Compare that to Windoze where after 32 minutes and a number
of reboots one finally has the basic OS installed. Then it's time to go and
install all the equivalent software applications that Linux installs in the
process of installation. Tell me that is all accomplished in your magic 32
minutes. :) We all know that it can take hours and hours to get a Windoze
system back when a full reinstallation is required that includes all the
groovy Windoze software that costs thousands of dollars. How many minutes
do you add to that 32 minutes to get the MickeyMouse Office Suite installed
after you've got the OS installed? Then your CD burning package? Then your
newsreader package? Then your photo editing software? (or do you rely on
Paint?), etc. etc. etc.

>>My system runs twice as fast as it did running XP (as
>>does my broadband connection), has a more customizable desktop that looks
>>much better than XP will ever look and far more functional. Downloading
>>and installing one of 18,000+ software packages just requires a click of
>>the mouse thanks to Easy URPMI. (http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/)
>
> I've experienced about the same speed on both systems. As for how
> fast your broadband connection runs, come on. Your connection will
> only run AT THE SPEED OF THE CONNECTION. The OS doesn't control this;
> the ISP does. Don't cloud that issue. I also can't get Linux to give
> me the same resolutions as XP does on my desktop, meaning I have less
> screen real-estate to work with, a big minus in some of my desktop
> graphic work.

This statement of yours confirms that you have no idea what you're talking
about! I pity the hundreds of computer users you claim to support daily.
Linux TCP/IP stack is much more efficient than the one that comes with
Windoze. Here's an example of a reported test on the two stacks and info on
where you too can go and test it ...

http://www.w-3productions.com/cvcs/weblog/archives/2005/04/comparing_linux_1.html

Although your ISP might say it's offering you a 10Mbps connection, surely
you know that in the real world the throughput hardly approaches this
figure. Whatever connection does happen in the real world is further
impacted by the efficiency of the TCP/IP stack and Linux is close to being
twice as fast as the Windoze one in real terms.

>>Welcome to the world of a REAL operating system that gives you choice and
>>power far beyond anything available in XP. If I had to purchase equivalent
>>software for XP, I'd be spending thousands of dollars and left to the whim
>>of the closed source developers if the software has a problem. Mandrake
>>rocks!
>
> I find it's programs less intuitive than Windows versions, but let's
> face it, that's because there is very little money in it so the
> writers don't spend as much of their effort on it.

Again, more FUD from Nobodyman. I'd say that for major most popular open
source applications the developers who write them under peer pressure from
others who can actually read their code, their efforts to improve and
update their software far exceeds proprietary ones that base their updates
on little more than marketing and when they can charge their customers for
the next upgrade. There are many examples of this. For example, look at the
work that's been done to bring FireFox to the world compared to the
slack-ass update schedule we've seen in IE. Now, whose been working harder
for the enduser? Still waiting for your tabbed IE browser like so many
others around here? What's taking MickeyMouse so damned long to produce
something that Mozilla for example has had for a long long time now? I
won't bother to get into the security issues of the compared browsers, as
we all know which is preferred when it comes to safely surfing the Net.

> If you like it fine, that's great, go use Linux. Just don't try
> pushing it in a group dedicated to Windows XP.

Your response simply confirms that you'd prefer the truth be withheld from
Windoze users because you obviously have an economic interest in
maintaining your Windoze support job. I was simply replying to a post here,
as were you. If this topic was so off-topic, why did you even bother to
jump in? Oh, I know! To spread your FUD.

--

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:05:00 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>> If you like it fine, that's great, go use Linux. Just don't try
>> pushing it in a group dedicated to Windows XP.
>
>Your response simply confirms that you'd prefer the truth be withheld from
>Windoze users because you obviously have an economic interest in
>maintaining your Windoze support job. I was simply replying to a post here,
>as were you. If this topic was so off-topic, why did you even bother to
>jump in? Oh, I know! To spread your FUD.

My job is secure not matter what OS we use. I have no economic
interest in Windows, MS, or any other OS. I was merely relaying MY
experiences.

That still doesn't change the fact that this is a WINDOWS group, being
maintained on an MS server. People come here because of that. Linux
is well known enough that you don't need to come here and push it.

Answer this very simple question: if Linux is so great (faster, more
stable, open source, free apps, etc) then why does it have such a
small user base?

I eagerly await your reply.

help

As well "Carey Fricsh" should as well.

The purpose of our communities is to exchange technical information and
expertise about Microsoft products.

also
Do not post or promote any materials that could harm or disrupt another
user's computer or would allow others to inappropriately access software or
web sites.

ow, there is NO EXPERTISE or TECHNICAL INFORMATION from Carey so he has
violated the rules as well..

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 08:25:29 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
wrote:

>I usually avoid participating in these threads because they are so
>stupid. However, I just want to point something out to try and get all
>of you to step out of your rigid mindset: why do you all feel you have
>to "choose"? Why limit yourself to only using one operating system?
>That attitude made sense back in the day when computers and hard drives
>were expensive, but not any more.
>
>Windows does some things very, very well. Linux does some things very,
>very well. OSX does some things very, very well. Using different
>operating systems is not only useful but fun. Why place artificial
>limits on yourselves? It doesn't have to be "either or".

Well put. I once had four OS's (including Linux, for awhile) on one
computer.

Now, however, with used computers so cheap, using 2 or more with a KVM
switch is a lot more efficient.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots: