Windows is starting Windows - HANGS!

Once Windows XP Pro installs the installation files to the hard drive, the
system does not get past "Setup is starting Windows". I cannot perform any
diagnostics on the drives that I install to because Windows is not
installed...therefore what is there to do? My system has been paralyzed for
a week or so now. I have 1 new hard drive, and an old one that I am using
for storage. Both are Western Digital. The newest one (160GB Western
Digital) had Windows on it, and when I noticed my BIOS was not seeing the
full 160GB (it was seeing 137.4 GB), I reformatted, updated my BIOS to the
latest revision, and the problem STILL exists... I cannot install Windows!!
Formatted the hard drives and everything... if anyone can help me get past
the message "Setup is starting Windows", HELP!!

- Kevin
5 answers Last reply
More about windows starting windows hangs

    Windows XP Does Not Respond at "Setup Is Starting Windows XP" Message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310760

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "DrummsB4" wrote:

    | Once Windows XP Pro installs the installation files to the hard drive, the
    | system does not get past "Setup is starting Windows". I cannot perform any
    | diagnostics on the drives that I install to because Windows is not
    | installed...therefore what is there to do? My system has been paralyzed for
    | a week or so now. I have 1 new hard drive, and an old one that I am using
    | for storage. Both are Western Digital. The newest one (160GB Western
    | Digital) had Windows on it, and when I noticed my BIOS was not seeing the
    | full 160GB (it was seeing 137.4 GB), I reformatted, updated my BIOS to the
    | latest revision, and the problem STILL exists... I cannot install Windows!!
    | Formatted the hard drives and everything... if anyone can help me get past
    | the message "Setup is starting Windows", HELP!!
    |
    | - Kevin

    Thakns for your reply.

    Unfortunately, my system configuration is the same. Only thing I haven't
    tried is memory testing. Anything else I can refer to in case this doesn't
    work?

    - Kevin

    Read ... http://www.48bitlba.com/

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    Thanks for yoour reply. I have 48-bit LBA in the latest BIOS revision. I am
    installing Windows XP regular. Windows was previously installing on the hard
    drive that is 160 GB prior to the BIOS upgrade. 137.4 was being detected,
    and I wanted to reformat to see if the BIOS update would register. It did,
    but now I cannot installing Windows...

    - Kevin

    DrummsB4 wrote:

    > Thanks for yoour reply. I have 48-bit LBA in the latest BIOS revision. I
    > am
    > installing Windows XP regular. Windows was previously installing on the
    > hard
    > drive that is 160 GB prior to the BIOS upgrade. 137.4 was being detected,
    > and I wanted to reformat to see if the BIOS update would register. It
    > did, but now I cannot installing Windows...
    >
    > - Kevin

    Then try and installing XP that is slipstreamed to at least SP1.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Hard Drives Windows XP