[Hero 5th] Extra Time & Requires Skill Roll when Switching..

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

All,

I want a multipower that takes longer to switch slots (usually a zero
phase action, I think). I am trying to figure out the mechanic for
this.

Essentially, this means that the power takes longer to activate, but
not to use, so I am figuring it is like the normal situation for Extra
Time on powers that are constant or persistent.

So, would using Extra Time at half the value of the limitation (i.e.
only getting -1/4 instead of -1/2) be the appropriate way to go here?

What about Requires Skill Roll? I know that normally it is already
nice in that by default the roll is needed only to activate, but my
issue is that for instant powers, I don't want the RSR. I really only
want it to switch over to that power in the multipower.

Essentially, I have a device that requires a skill roll and takes time
to try to switch out some of the parts, but once the parts are swapped
out, the device will do that one task normally.

I haven't been able to quite figure out how that all interacts. Page
references or suggestions and / or help appreciated. Looking to do
this one "by the book" but I'm just not seeing it.

Lewis

On 14 Jun 2004 11:17:10 -0700, lewis@lwb.org (Lewis W Beard) wrote:

>All,
>
>I want a multipower that takes longer to switch slots (usually a zero
>phase action, I think). I am trying to figure out the mechanic for
>this.
>
>Essentially, this means that the power takes longer to activate, but
>not to use, so I am figuring it is like the normal situation for Extra
>Time on powers that are constant or persistent.
>
>So, would using Extra Time at half the value of the limitation (i.e.
>only getting -1/4 instead of -1/2) be the appropriate way to go here?

Actually, I think it should be full value, but only on the cost of the
slots.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Wayne,

>Actually, I think it should be full value, but only on the cost of the
>slots.

Ouch! I want a disadvantage that makes sense with the character but I
also want to be able to afford my main powers. I'm on a tight budget.
Is there a page reference that shows when its appropriate and
inappropriate to take advantages on slots instead of the pool?

I'm eager for your response.

Lewis

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:15:08 -0500, Lewis W Beard <lewis@lwb.org>
wrote:

>Wayne,
>
>>Actually, I think it should be full value, but only on the cost of the
>>slots.
>
>Ouch! I want a disadvantage that makes sense with the character but I
>also want to be able to afford my main powers. I'm on a tight budget.
>Is there a page reference that shows when its appropriate and
>inappropriate to take advantages on slots instead of the pool?
>I'm eager for your response.
>Lewis

For what it's worth, our group uses the 1/4 figure you suggested.

Lewis W Beard wrote:
> All,
>
> I want a multipower that takes longer to switch slots (usually a zero
> phase action, I think). I am trying to figure out the mechanic for
> this.
>
> Essentially, this means that the power takes longer to activate, but
> not to use, so I am figuring it is like the normal situation for Extra
> Time on powers that are constant or persistent.
>
> So, would using Extra Time at half the value of the limitation (i.e.
> only getting -1/4 instead of -1/2) be the appropriate way to go here?

This is a standard rule on page 187 of the 5th Edition Hero System
Rulebook.
"If the Power has a lengthy activation time, but the character can use
it every phase from then on without taking extra time, halve the
Limitation value (minimum value of -1/4)."

So you would apply Extra Time-Full Phase, Only for Initial Activation
(-1/4) to the Pool and slots, since it applies to the whole Multipower.

> What about Requires Skill Roll? I know that normally it is already
> nice in that by default the roll is needed only to activate, but my
> issue is that for instant powers, I don't want the RSR. I really only
> want it to switch over to that power in the multipower.
>
> Essentially, I have a device that requires a skill roll and takes time
> to try to switch out some of the parts, but once the parts are swapped
> out, the device will do that one task normally.

Under Requires a Skill Roll on page 200 of the 5th Edition rulebook it
says that RSR is only needed for the initial activation of a constant
Power, so I'd say apply the Limitation to the Pool, but not the slots.
This is supported by the FAQ at the Hero Games website. (Checked while
typing this message).

Q: Can a character apply an Advantage or Limitation to just the
Multipower reserve, such as Extra Time to switch slots?

A: With the GM’s permission, yes, provided it makes sense to do so.
Extra Time only to switch slots is a good example; there’s no reason
such a Limitation would apply to each slot (once the character switches
to it, he can activate the power in that slot normally). The GM can, if
he wishes, alter the value of the Power Modifier if he thinks that’s
appropriate for the power construct.

Obviously, this also applies to your first question. And now that I
think about it, applying the extra time to the slots would mean that if
someone dispeled a Power, you would have to take the Extra Time to
reactivate it, even though the slot was still allocated.

--
Michael Sears armitage@mhcable.com
"No turning back where the end is in sight.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <n8qsc0lhicgu9np4c9jmeef56n48o3kn1s@4ax.com>, lewis@lwb.org
says...
> Wayne,
>
> >Actually, I think it should be full value, but only on the cost of the
> >slots.
>
> Ouch! I want a disadvantage that makes sense with the character but I
> also want to be able to afford my main powers. I'm on a tight budget.
> Is there a page reference that shows when its appropriate and
> inappropriate to take advantages on slots instead of the pool?

P207 of FRED covers it: If a limitation other than charges
applies to every slot in a multipower, the limitation applies to the
reserve as well.
For charges, you only apply it to the reserve if the charges are
commonly held, (e.g. a multi-gun with 32 charges which uses one of those
charges regardless of the type of shot fired).

In your case, you would use the halved limitation value for
initial activation only, and you would apply it to the reserve and all
the slots.

--
Phoenix

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:21:34 -0400, Rick Pikul <rwpikul@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> P207 of FRED covers it: If a limitation other than charges
>applies to every slot in a multipower, the limitation applies to the
>reserve as well.

1000 thanks for the reply! And to everyone for the follow-ups.

Lewis

wrote:

>Wayne,
>
>>Actually, I think it should be full value, but only on the cost of the
>>slots.
>
>Ouch! I want a disadvantage that makes sense with the character but I
>also want to be able to afford my main powers. I'm on a tight budget.
>Is there a page reference that shows when its appropriate and
>inappropriate to take advantages on slots instead of the pool?
>
>I'm eager for your response.

Nope. But in practice you're not limiting the individual powers;
you're limiting your access to shifting them, which is represented by
the cost of the slots, not the pool. I can see no logical reason the
pool would get a limit for this; after all, it doesn't limit the
individual powers at all.