xp card games / solitaire download

I am trying to reinstall the standard card games that come with XP as they
were erroneously deleted and a system user - not me, really ! - wants them.

I am using my XP Professional Upgrade / SP1 CD. I get into games part of the
add/remove programs for windows, select the games I want, press next, and
get the error message "The file 'freecell.exe' on Windows XP Professional
CD-ROM is needed".

Any thoughts as to what to do next?

I did a simple file search of my CD-ROM for this file and it was not found.
I tried another file (e.g. unselected freecell from the games list, but the
next file is apparetnly not on the CD-ROM either.
5 answers Last reply
More about card games solitaire download

    Hi Peter,

    Do a quick search of your Windows directory for that file.
    It might be easier for you to just locate the file and create
    a shortcut to it rather than searching for compressed files.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A3B1ECA-51C4-44E2-B8FE-64B8F45F2677@microsoft.com...
    |I am trying to reinstall the standard card games that come with XP as they
    | were erroneously deleted and a system user - not me, really ! - wants them.
    |
    | I am using my XP Professional Upgrade / SP1 CD. I get into games part of the
    | add/remove programs for windows, select the games I want, press next, and
    | get the error message "The file 'freecell.exe' on Windows XP Professional
    | CD-ROM is needed".
    |
    | Any thoughts as to what to do next?
    |
    | I did a simple file search of my CD-ROM for this file and it was not found.
    | I tried another file (e.g. unselected freecell from the games list, but the
    | next file is apparetnly not on the CD-ROM either.

    Good idea, but I did a search and didn't find mshearts.* or freecell.* on my
    drive?

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > Do a quick search of your Windows directory for that file.
    > It might be easier for you to just locate the file and create
    > a shortcut to it rather than searching for compressed files.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A3B1ECA-51C4-44E2-B8FE-64B8F45F2677@microsoft.com...
    > |I am trying to reinstall the standard card games that come with XP as they
    > | were erroneously deleted and a system user - not me, really ! - wants them.
    > |
    > | I am using my XP Professional Upgrade / SP1 CD. I get into games part of the
    > | add/remove programs for windows, select the games I want, press next, and
    > | get the error message "The file 'freecell.exe' on Windows XP Professional
    > | CD-ROM is needed".
    > |
    > | Any thoughts as to what to do next?
    > |
    > | I did a simple file search of my CD-ROM for this file and it was not found.
    > | I tried another file (e.g. unselected freecell from the games list, but the
    > | next file is apparetnly not on the CD-ROM either.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Peter,

    In the Search options, be sure to select the advanced options
    to search system and hidden files and folders.

    --

    "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18815664-5674-4321-8530-5B0ED531F333@microsoft.com...
    > Good idea, but I did a search and didn't find mshearts.* or freecell.* on my
    > drive?
    >
    > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Peter,
    >>
    >> Do a quick search of your Windows directory for that file.
    >> It might be easier for you to just locate the file and create
    >> a shortcut to it rather than searching for compressed files.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    >>
    >> "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A3B1ECA-51C4-44E2-B8FE-64B8F45F2677@microsoft.com...
    >> |I am trying to reinstall the standard card games that come with XP as they
    >> | were erroneously deleted and a system user - not me, really ! - wants them.
    >> |
    >> | I am using my XP Professional Upgrade / SP1 CD. I get into games part of the
    >> | add/remove programs for windows, select the games I want, press next, and
    >> | get the error message "The file 'freecell.exe' on Windows XP Professional
    >> | CD-ROM is needed".
    >> |
    >> | Any thoughts as to what to do next?
    >> |
    >> | I did a simple file search of my CD-ROM for this file and it was not found.
    >> | I tried another file (e.g. unselected freecell from the games list, but the
    >> | next file is apparetnly not on the CD-ROM either.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Thanks, I did find them on the XP CD, then did the install windows components
    from the CD, and everything looks fine. THANKS!

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > In the Search options, be sure to select the advanced options
    > to search system and hidden files and folders.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18815664-5674-4321-8530-5B0ED531F333@microsoft.com...
    > > Good idea, but I did a search and didn't find mshearts.* or freecell.* on my
    > > drive?
    > >
    > > "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi Peter,
    > >>
    > >> Do a quick search of your Windows directory for that file.
    > >> It might be easier for you to just locate the file and create
    > >> a shortcut to it rather than searching for compressed files.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >>
    > >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    > >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > >> _________________________________________________________

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    That's great Peter, I'm glad it worked out for you. :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

    "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC50540B-A118-4037-8FA4-B536A37F92D6@microsoft.com...
    | Thanks, I did find them on the XP CD, then did the install windows components
    | from the CD, and everything looks fine. THANKS!
    |

    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Peter,
    | >
    | > In the Search options, be sure to select the advanced options
    | > to search system and hidden files and folders.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18815664-5674-4321-8530-5B0ED531F333@microsoft.com...
    | > > Good idea, but I did a search and didn't find mshearts.* or freecell.* on my
    | > > drive?

    | > >> |
    | > >> |
    | > >> |