xp card games / solitaire download

Last response: in Video Games
April 11, 2005 11:45:02 AM

I am trying to reinstall the standard card games that come with XP as they
were erroneously deleted and a system user - not me, really ! - wants them.

I am using my XP Professional Upgrade / SP1 CD. I get into games part of the
add/remove programs for windows, select the games I want, press next, and
get the error message "The file 'freecell.exe' on Windows XP Professional
CD-ROM is needed".

Any thoughts as to what to do next?

I did a simple file search of my CD-ROM for this file and it was not found.
I tried another file (e.g. unselected freecell from the games list, but the
next file is apparetnly not on the CD-ROM either.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:26:28 PM

Hi Peter,

Do a quick search of your Windows directory for that file.
It might be easier for you to just locate the file and create
a shortcut to it rather than searching for compressed files.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A3B1ECA-51C4-44E2-B8FE-64B8F45F2677@microsoft.com...
|I am trying to reinstall the standard card games that come with XP as they
| were erroneously deleted and a system user - not me, really ! - wants them.
|
| I am using my XP Professional Upgrade / SP1 CD. I get into games part of the
| add/remove programs for windows, select the games I want, press next, and
| get the error message "The file 'freecell.exe' on Windows XP Professional
| CD-ROM is needed".
|
| Any thoughts as to what to do next?
|
| I did a simple file search of my CD-ROM for this file and it was not found.
| I tried another file (e.g. unselected freecell from the games list, but the
| next file is apparetnly not on the CD-ROM either.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:33:01 AM

Good idea, but I did a search and didn't find mshearts.* or freecell.* on my
drive?

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Do a quick search of your Windows directory for that file.
> It might be easier for you to just locate the file and create
> a shortcut to it rather than searching for compressed files.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A3B1ECA-51C4-44E2-B8FE-64B8F45F2677@microsoft.com...
> |I am trying to reinstall the standard card games that come with XP as they
> | were erroneously deleted and a system user - not me, really ! - wants them.
> |
> | I am using my XP Professional Upgrade / SP1 CD. I get into games part of the
> | add/remove programs for windows, select the games I want, press next, and
> | get the error message "The file 'freecell.exe' on Windows XP Professional
> | CD-ROM is needed".
> |
> | Any thoughts as to what to do next?
> |
> | I did a simple file search of my CD-ROM for this file and it was not found.
> | I tried another file (e.g. unselected freecell from the games list, but the
> | next file is apparetnly not on the CD-ROM either.

April 12, 2005 5:24:46 AM

Hi Peter,

In the Search options, be sure to select the advanced options
to search system and hidden files and folders.

--

"Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18815664-5674-4321-8530-5B0ED531F333@microsoft.com...
> Good idea, but I did a search and didn't find mshearts.* or freecell.* on my
> drive?
>
> "Jimmy S." wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Do a quick search of your Windows directory for that file.
>> It might be easier for you to just locate the file and create
>> a shortcut to it rather than searching for compressed files.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>
>> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
>> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
>> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
>>
>> "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A3B1ECA-51C4-44E2-B8FE-64B8F45F2677@microsoft.com...
>> |I am trying to reinstall the standard card games that come with XP as they
>> | were erroneously deleted and a system user - not me, really ! - wants them.
>> |
>> | I am using my XP Professional Upgrade / SP1 CD. I get into games part of the
>> | add/remove programs for windows, select the games I want, press next, and
>> | get the error message "The file 'freecell.exe' on Windows XP Professional
>> | CD-ROM is needed".
>> |
>> | Any thoughts as to what to do next?
>> |
>> | I did a simple file search of my CD-ROM for this file and it was not found.
>> | I tried another file (e.g. unselected freecell from the games list, but the
>> | next file is apparetnly not on the CD-ROM either.

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:46:02 PM

Thanks, I did find them on the XP CD, then did the install windows components
from the CD, and everything looks fine. THANKS!

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> In the Search options, be sure to select the advanced options
> to search system and hidden files and folders.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
>
> "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18815664-5674-4321-8530-5B0ED531F333@microsoft.com...
> > Good idea, but I did a search and didn't find mshearts.* or freecell.* on my
> > drive?
> >
> > "Jimmy S." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> Do a quick search of your Windows directory for that file.
> >> It might be easier for you to just locate the file and create
> >> a shortcut to it rather than searching for compressed files.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >>
> >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
> >> MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
> >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> >> _________________________________________________________

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:12:16 AM

That's great Peter, I'm glad it worked out for you. :-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D C50540B-A118-4037-8FA4-B536A37F92D6@microsoft.com...
| Thanks, I did find them on the XP CD, then did the install windows components
| from the CD, and everything looks fine. THANKS!
|

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Peter,
| >
| > In the Search options, be sure to select the advanced options
| > to search system and hidden files and folders.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Peter B" <Peter B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18815664-5674-4321-8530-5B0ED531F333@microsoft.com...
| > > Good idea, but I did a search and didn't find mshearts.* or freecell.* on my
| > > drive?

| > >> |
| > >> |

!