Marvel Super Heroes RPG, question about Emotion Control (P..

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Sorry for the long description (below, after the dotted line), but for
anyone to fully understand the power, the complete description had to be
given. Note that this power works in a similar way to Mind Control, and
as such, "The attacker and target must be within 1 area initially to
effect Mind Control, though the target and attacker may be separated by
miles afterwards."

Alright, my question is (based on the description below), do you think
the duration is reasonable? If yes, why? If no, why? What would you do
in YOUR campaign with this power? How would you make it adequate to YOUR
campaign?

So far, I've thought about making it 1-10 rounds for combat situations
(the target's adrenaline makes the power less efficient) but for
non-combat situations, the power can last as long as 10-100 rounds. But
I sure would appreciate knowing others' opinions about it.

Thanks in advance! :)

Power Description (Player's version):

"Emotion Control: Emotion Control is a related form of Mind Control that
acts upon the subconscious fears and attractions to produce the required
results. Targets of an Emotion Control attack must be in the same area
as the character with this Power, and may make an Intuition FEAT to
avoid the effects, which have a duration of 10-100 turns after the
initial attack. The effects must diminish before another "dose" of
Emotion Control may be applied. Robots and non-human alien beings are
immune to the effects of Emotion Control. Only one type of emotion may
be instilled in a target at a time. The character with this Power may
modify any emotions, but gains a +2CS if he chooses to modify one
emotion exclusively Such a character is extremely powerful, but may not
develop other types of Emotion Control as Power Stunts. Those heroes
that do not limit themselves to one particular emotion begin play with
two emotions they can modify, with others that may be developed as
Power Stunts. Emotions may be influenced to reflect on the user of the
Power, or on another target. The types of emotions that may be instilled
and manipulated include:
• Respect -- The target treats an individual as a Friendly Contact.
• Love -- The target is devoted to the individual, to the point of
endangering his own life in the other's behalf.
• Fear -- The target is filled with fear, of an object, a person, or a
situation. The target will flee as quickly as possible, and only attack
if backed into a corner.
• Hatred -- The target is instilled with a great hatred, particularly
for former friends and allies. The target will attack his former friends.
• Loyalty -- The target will follow the individual's orders without
question, cheerfully providing all necessary information and aid as if
to a long-time friend and ally.
• Doubt -- The target is unsure of his actions. Intuition is considered
to be a 10(Good) for purposes of actions.
• Pleasure -- The target feels incredibly good and non-hostile. The
feeling is so overwhelming that the character cannot do anything but sit
contentedly for 1-10 round, and for the remainder of the duration of the
Emotion Control is Friendly to the hero with this Power.

A character under Emotion Control may gain additional chances to break
the control if placed in a Karma-losing situation, similar to breaking
the Mind Control Power. For PCs under the effects of Emotion Control,
see the section in Chapter 4."

Bart Allen <Bart@home.com> wrote in message news:<eRrzc.42453$CD5.492696@weber.videotron.net>...
> avoid the effects, which have a duration of 10-100 turns after the
> initial attack. The effects must diminish before another "dose" of

You might want to experiment with basing the duration on power rank;
i.e., a Monstrous lasts longer than a Good one. The old Ultimate
Powers Book had several powers with limited durations/temporal ranges.
One of them might work for you.

j.

I'm really JiminQueens. It's a hotmail account. Bitchslap a spammer
today.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

If I remember rightly, the old version of MSHRPG had an emotion
control power. It was definately listed in the description of Gambit
in the X-Forces Boxed Set, and I think under the Mental powers listing
of the basic book. But then, I had three different sets of the Basic
set, each with different power listings. LOL.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!/Ha:Ha:Ha)