XP Home backup program

When I choose the default destination file name, I get error msg: 'backup
file name could not be used. Please ensure it is a valid path and that you
have sufficient access.'

I've tried minor variations on the default without success but I really
don't have a clue as to what the damn thing wants.

PS- I AM the Administrator.

Please help!
--
The Tuckinator

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

tucksie wrote:

> When I choose the default destination file name, I get error msg: 'backup
> file name could not be used. Please ensure it is a valid path and that you
> have sufficient access.'
>
> I've tried minor variations on the default without success but I really
> don't have a clue as to what the damn thing wants.
>
> PS- I AM the Administrator.
>
> Please help!

Where are you trying to save the backup file - to CD? Ntbackup cannot
backup to CD without 3rd party burning software and even then it can't
span CDs. One is the limit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Blair

"tucksie" <tucksie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I choose the default destination file name, I get error msg: 'backup
> file name could not be used. Please ensure it is a valid path and that you
> have sufficient access.'
>
> I've tried minor variations on the default without success but I really
> don't have a clue as to what the damn thing wants.
>
> PS- I AM the Administrator.
>
> Please help!
> --
> The Tuckinator

Are you trying to backup to a CD? If so XP does not allow this. It is
intended for backing up to a tape. This is why you are getting this message.
I use Acronis True Image for backing up which is easy to use and understand.
Blair

First, thank you for answering, Rock.

Yes, I was intending to save it to CD. What then, is the preferred medium? I
only have a floppy drive and a CD burner.

--
The Tuckinator

"Rock" wrote:

> tucksie wrote:
>
> > When I choose the default destination file name, I get error msg: 'backup
> > file name could not be used. Please ensure it is a valid path and that you
> > have sufficient access.'
> >
> > I've tried minor variations on the default without success but I really
> > don't have a clue as to what the damn thing wants.
> >
> > PS- I AM the Administrator.
> >
> > Please help!
>
> Where are you trying to save the backup file - to CD? Ntbackup cannot
> backup to CD without 3rd party burning software and even then it can't
> span CDs. One is the limit.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thank you for answering, Blair. I'm a first-time discussion group user!

When you say 'tape', are you referring to a floppy disc? What is the
preferred medium for backup? I have only a CD writer and a floppy disc drive.

Can you tell me more about Acronis T.I., like what it costs?

Please be patient with slow replies as I work six days and have to jockey
with my wife for PC time.

Thanks again for taking time to help me.
--
The Tuckinator

"Blair" wrote:

> "tucksie" <tucksie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I choose the default destination file name, I get error msg: 'backup
> > file name could not be used. Please ensure it is a valid path and that you
> > have sufficient access.'
> >
> > I've tried minor variations on the default without success but I really
> > don't have a clue as to what the damn thing wants.
> >
> > PS- I AM the Administrator.
> >
> > Please help!
> > --
> > The Tuckinator
>
> Are you trying to backup to a CD? If so XP does not allow this. It is
> intended for backing up to a tape. This is why you are getting this message.
> I use Acronis True Image for backing up which is easy to use and understand.
> Blair

Blair

"tucksie" <tucksie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I choose the default destination file name, I get error msg: 'backup
> file name could not be used. Please ensure it is a valid path and that you
> have sufficient access.'
>
> I've tried minor variations on the default without success but I really
> don't have a clue as to what the damn thing wants.
>
> PS- I AM the Administrator.
>
> Please help!
> --
> The Tuckinator

Did the comments from myself and Rock help you?
It does help to know that we were not wasting out time replying to you
Blair

Blair

By tape I mean a device which was called a diskette and has a thin recording
tape wound on a spool. It does seem ridiculous that XP can only backup to
this old medium. But that is a fact!
You have to use a third party piece of software to backup to a CD
There are a number of packages but I favour Acronis Tue Image I paid £34
Details at www.acronis.com
It is worth checking prices for UK users at Amazon or Google etc

> Thank you for answering, Blair. I'm a first-time discussion group user!
>
> When you say 'tape', are you referring to a floppy disc? What is the
> preferred medium for backup? I have only a CD writer and a floppy disc
drive.

> Can you tell me more about Acronis T.I., like what it costs?
>
> Please be patient with slow replies as I work six days and have to jockey
> with my wife for PC time.
>
> Thanks again for taking time to help me.
> --
> The Tuckinator
>
> "Blair" wrote:
>

> > "tucksie" <tucksie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I choose the default destination file name, I get error msg:
'backup
> > > file name could not be used. Please ensure it is a valid path and that
you
> > > have sufficient access.'
> > >
> > > I've tried minor variations on the default without success but I
really
> > > don't have a clue as to what the damn thing wants.
> > >
> > > PS- I AM the Administrator.
> > >
> > > Please help!
> > > --
> > > The Tuckinator
> >
> > Are you trying to backup to a CD? If so XP does not allow this. It is
> > intended for backing up to a tape. This is why you are getting this
message.
> > I use Acronis True Image for backing up which is easy to use and
understand.
> > Blair

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

tucksie wrote:

> First, thank you for answering, Rock.
>
> Yes, I was intending to save it to CD. What then, is the preferred medium? I
> only have a floppy drive and a CD burner.

There are a couple of options. Ntbackup is a legacy app that works best
with tape drives or other hard drives, external, internal and network.
There are other commercial backup programs similar to ntbackup but which
will use CD media directly. One such is Stompsoft's Backup MyPC.
Another option is a drive imaging program. This will make an image of
the drive which can be restored in whole or by individual files and
folders. Best to save such backups to removable media such as an
external hard drive or DVD. They can also split the backup image to fit
in chunks on individual CDs but it will can quite a few to backup a
drive partition depending on how much is on it. Better is DVD and best
is an external USB 2.0 hard drive. Programs of this type include Norton
Ghost, Acronis True Image, and Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows
and BootIt NG.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User