recycle bin problems

My recycle bin won't show its contents. I can delete a file and it goes to
the recycle bin but when I open the bin, nothing shows. Clicking on "Empty
Recycle Bin" gives a message asking if I want to delete x items. The x
increases everytime I delete another file.

Any ideas?

TIA

--
Bearman
If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

Note: Files that were previously deleted will be permanently erased from the Recycle
Bin.

Create a notepad document and save it (any name will do).
Now delete the file so that it goes to the recycle bin.
Empty the recycle-bin.

To test, create another file and then delete it - does it now show up in the recycle
bin?

If not, then continue on to the following site for more information.

Files Do Not Show Up in Recycle Bin When Deleted
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168570

Troubleshooting the Recycle Bin:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm#rb

"bearman" <noyb@home.com> wrote in message news:N5ydnWGlFK3em1vfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...

> My recycle bin won't show its contents. I can delete a file and it goes to the
> recycle bin but when I open the bin, nothing shows. Clicking on "Empty Recycle
> Bin" gives a message asking if I want to delete x items. The x increases everytime
> I delete another file.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Bearman
> If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

Thanks for the quick respsonse. I had done what you suggested before I
asked my question.

The file goes into the recycle bin. The problem is that when I open the
recycle bin, nothing is displayed. I know the file made it to the bin
because when I click on "Empty the bin", the number of files in the bin has
increased by one. I've done this test more than once and each time the
number of files has incremented by the number of files I deleted.

My problem is that I don't want to empty the bin without seeing what's being
permanently deleted but I can't do that if the files in there aren't
displayed.

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Note: Files that were previously deleted will be permanently erased from
> the Recycle Bin.
>
> Create a notepad document and save it (any name will do).
> Now delete the file so that it goes to the recycle bin.
> Empty the recycle-bin.
>
> To test, create another file and then delete it - does it now show up in
> the recycle bin?
>
> If not, then continue on to the following site for more information.
>
> Files Do Not Show Up in Recycle Bin When Deleted
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168570
>
> Troubleshooting the Recycle Bin:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm#rb
>

> "bearman" <noyb@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> My recycle bin won't show its contents. I can delete a file and it goes
>> to the recycle bin but when I open the bin, nothing shows. Clicking on
>> "Empty Recycle Bin" gives a message asking if I want to delete x items.
>> The x increases everytime I delete another file.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Bearman
>> If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

[[No files may appear in the Recycle Bin if the files in the Recycled folder
are damaged.]]

Run Error Checking. Reboot. Try opening the Recycle Bin again.

Error Checking (chkdsk.exe).
1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the drive you want to
check, and then click Properties.
2. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.
3. Select both of these:

o To run Chkdsk by using the /f parameter, select the Automatically fix file
system errors check box, and then click Start.
[[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
checking. All files must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is
currently in use, a message asks if you want to reschedule
the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. Your drive is
not available to run other tasks while the disk is being checked.]]

o To run Chkdsk by using the /r parameter, select the Scan for and attempt
recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
[[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
checking, locates bad sectors, and recovers readable information. All files
must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is currently in use, a
message asks if you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time
you restart your computer. Your drive is not available to run other tasks
while the disk is being checked. If you select this option, you do not need
to select Automatically fix file system errors. Windows fixes any errors on
the disk.]]

You have to reboot for Error-checking to run.

For a peek at the log.
Open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
Look in Application | Listed as Information |
Event ID: 1001
Source: Winlogon

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:pKudnej1SakOGlvfRVn-3g@comcast.com,
bearman <noyb@home.com> hunted and pecked:

> [...]
>> the number of files has incremented by the number of files I deleted.
>>
>> My problem is that I don't want to empty the bin without seeing what's
>> being permanently deleted but I can't do that if the files in there
>> aren't
>> displayed.
>>

>> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Note: Files that were previously deleted will be permanently erased from
>>> the Recycle Bin.
>>>
>>> Create a notepad document and save it (any name will do).
>>> Now delete the file so that it goes to the recycle bin.
>>> Empty the recycle-bin.
>>>
>>> To test, create another file and then delete it - does it now show up in
>>> the recycle bin?
>>>
>>> If not, then continue on to the following site for more information.
>>>
>>> Files Do Not Show Up in Recycle Bin When Deleted

Thanks for your info. I decided to bite the bullet and just go ahead and
empty the recycle bin. After that I made a file and deleted it and looked
in the bin and there it was. This may be a temporary fix but I'll take it.
I've saved your response in case I need it. Thanks again.

Bearman