usb 2.0 support for intel chipset D810E2CA3

ftcnt

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
im running winxp and i downloaded service pack 1 because i was told i need the updated drivers. even when did that i couldnt usb 2.0 connections ( i installed usb 2.0 i/o ports -front install). so i figured it might be an issue with my motherboard not supporting 2.0.

My main question is this I bought two USB ports that attach to the motherboard and take the place of a 5 1/2'' bay. However, my motherboard is not USB 2.0 compliant. I wanted to get around that by buying a PCI card that supports USB 2.0.

Are USB 2.0 PCI cards independent of the motherboards capabilities? even though my motherboard (stated in my first post) does not support USB 2.0 can I buy a 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card to get around that problem?

thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, USB add in cards are PCI devices, they're limited only to PCI bus bandwidth, which is 133MB/s. USB 2.0 is limitted to 60MB/s (480 megabits is 60 megabytes), so the PCI bus won't be a limit either unless you have many USB 2.0 devices connected at once (say, 5 of them).

What motherboard do you have? Some boards have a BIOS setting for USB 1.1/2.0 speed selection. Also, don't count on device manager to tell you anything important, my ports appear as standard USB ports, but give me around 30MB/s from an external hard drive (compared to 1.2MB/s for USB 1.1). Also, if you have an Intel chipset, you need to load the INF update in order to gain modern features.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ftcnt

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
ive got a intel motherboard. so i take it that the usb pci card will have its own controller over the speed and will support a usb 2.0 device.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. The only reason I asked what board you have is that most boards for the past 2 years have had USB 2.0 integrated, in which case you'd be better off fixing your software than buying another card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
WHile Crash is exactly right about recent boards, judging by title on post, guessing you have an i810 based p3/celeron board, which as far as I know never had USB2(at least not integrated) in any of the incarnations I saw.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Doh! I forgot the title!