boot defrag

should I change the values to Yes ???

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction]
"Enable"="N"
"OptimizeComplete"="No"

This is part of how Prefetch works.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction

Enable
[[Accepted values for this entry are Y or N. If the entry is set to Y,
Windows automatically optimizes the file location for boot optimization.
This optimization occurs automatically if the system is idle for 10 minutes.
Boot optimization improves startup time by locating startup files in
contiguous clusters on the volume, reducing the movement of the disk head
when reading the volume.]]

Enable change to Y.
LcnEndLocation change to 0.
LcnStartLocation change to 0.
OptimizeComplete leave this one alone.
OptimizeError leave this one alone.

This will force any pending idle tasks to be executed immediately, without
having to wait a lengthy period of time. Now do this...

Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
Type or paste this in the command prompt:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Hit your Enter key.

Go do something else for a while. It can take 10 to 15 minutes for idle
tasks to complete.

After your hard drive is done thrashing open regedit again and go to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction

Enable should still be Y.
LcnEndLocation should have changed from 0 to a larger number.
LcnStartLocation should have changed from 0 to a larger number.
OptimizeComplete should have changed to Yes.
OptimizeError should be blank unless there was an error like Insufficient
space.

ProcessIdleTasks
Idle Task Scheduling: The ProcessIdleTask API
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx#EDAA

Also check this key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\PrefetchParameters

Look for EnablePrefetcher in the right pane, if the value is not 3,
Double click EnablePrefetcher and change the value to 3.
Values are (0 = disabled, 1 = Application launch prefetching, 2 = Boot
prefetching, 3 = Both prefetching). 3 seems to be the preferred option.
Exit regedit
This will take effect on next reboot.
It will take three boots to rebuild the Prefetch file.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e7MHCYrfFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
D@annyBoy <origin@ld@nnyboy @ gm@il.com> hunted and pecked:
> should I change the values to Yes ???
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction]
> "Enable"="N"
> "OptimizeComplete"="No"

thanks

how do I copy and cut
Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
to the dos prompt? ctrl v doesn't work

While sipping a glass of wine, I read that Wesley Vogel wrote in

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:43:33 +0700, "D@annyBoy" <origin@ld@nnyboy @
gm@il.com> wrote:

>thanks
>
>how do I copy and cut
>Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
>to the dos prompt? ctrl v doesn't work

Ether paste it (Ctrl+V) directly in the command line, that will be
opened on Start -- Run...,

or right click DOS (i.e. CMD) window, and select: Paste

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

>While sipping a glass of wine, I read that Wesley Vogel wrote in
>

>> This is part of how Prefetch works.
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
>>
>> Enable
>> [[Accepted values for this entry are Y or N. If the entry is set to Y,
>> Windows automatically optimizes the file location for boot optimization.
>> This optimization occurs automatically if the system is idle for 10 minutes.
>> Boot optimization improves startup time by locating startup files in
>> contiguous clusters on the volume, reducing the movement of the disk head
>> when reading the volume.]]
>>
>> Enable change to Y.
>> LcnEndLocation change to 0.
>> LcnStartLocation change to 0.
>> OptimizeComplete leave this one alone.
>> OptimizeError leave this one alone.
>>
>> This will force any pending idle tasks to be executed immediately, without
>> having to wait a lengthy period of time. Now do this...
>>
>> Open a command prompt...
>> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
>> Type or paste this in the command prompt:
>>
>> Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
>>
>> Hit your Enter key.
>>
>> Go do something else for a while. It can take 10 to 15 minutes for idle
>> tasks to complete.
>>
>> After your hard drive is done thrashing open regedit again and go to...
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
>>
>> Enable should still be Y.
>> LcnEndLocation should have changed from 0 to a larger number.
>> LcnStartLocation should have changed from 0 to a larger number.
>> OptimizeComplete should have changed to Yes.
>> OptimizeError should be blank unless there was an error like Insufficient
>> space.
>>
>> ProcessIdleTasks
>> Idle Task Scheduling: The ProcessIdleTask API
>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx#EDAA
>>
>> Also check this key...
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
>> Management\PrefetchParameters
>>
>> Look for EnablePrefetcher in the right pane, if the value is not 3,
>> Double click EnablePrefetcher and change the value to 3.
>> Values are (0 = disabled, 1 = Application launch prefetching, 2 = Boot
>> prefetching, 3 = Both prefetching). 3 seems to be the preferred option.
>> Exit regedit
>> This will take effect on next reboot.
>> It will take three boots to rebuild the Prefetch file.

Command Prompt Copy & Paste

This will set the QuickEdit Mode and the Insert Mode.

Right click the command prompt window's title bar.
Click Defaults.
Click on the Options tab.
Place a check mark in both of these:
QuickEdit Mode
Insert Mode
Click OK.

QuickEdit Mode
[[Enables you to use a pointing device (mouse) to cut and paste, bypassing
the Edit menu.]]
This option provides a fast, easy way to copy text from (and paste text
into) Command Prompt windows with a mouse. You can highlight text with a
mouse and use the Enter key to copy the highlighted test to the Windows
Clipboard.

Insert Mode
[[Enables you to insert text at the cursor. If this is not selected, text
that is typed at the cursor replaces existing text.]]
This option (on by default) allows you to insert text at the cursor
position. You can right click and paste.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uqDqQ2yfFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,

"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> OptimizeComplete should have changed to Yes.
>>> OptimizeError should be blank unless there was an error like Insufficient
>>> space.
>>>
>>> ProcessIdleTasks
>>> Idle Task Scheduling: The ProcessIdleTask API
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx#EDAA
>>>
>>> Also check this key...
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
>>> Management\PrefetchParameters
>>>
>>> Look for EnablePrefetcher in the right pane, if the value is not 3,
>>> Double click EnablePrefetcher and change the value to 3.
>>> Values are (0 = disabled, 1 = Application launch prefetching, 2 = Boot
>>> prefetching, 3 = Both prefetching). 3 seems to be the preferred option.
>>> Exit regedit
>>> This will take effect on next reboot.
>>> It will take three boots to rebuild the Prefetch file.

TRENDING THREADS