[Hero 5th] Largest Size that's not an advantage?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

All,

I have a character that I want to be abnormally tall and proportioned,
but not so much that it gives me any levels of growth or anything
significant (other than knockback resistance, which I already bought).

What's the maximum size that's realistic to be in terms of height and
width before I'd start having to pay points for extra reach and the
like?

Hero 5th is the version I'm using.

Lewis
6 answers Last reply
More about hero largest size that advantage
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:40:02 -0500, Lewis W Beard <lewis@lwb.org>
    wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I have a character that I want to be abnormally tall and proportioned,
    >but not so much that it gives me any levels of growth or anything
    >significant (other than knockback resistance, which I already bought).
    >
    >What's the maximum size that's realistic to be in terms of height and
    >width before I'd start having to pay points for extra reach and the
    >like?

    Between 9 and 10 feet tall would be my guess.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Lewis W Beard <lewis@lwb.org> wrote in message news:<i39vc0li8mqbu8so1ksa7tjeqr8mslpk3q@4ax.com>...
    > All,
    >
    > I have a character that I want to be abnormally tall and proportioned,
    > but not so much that it gives me any levels of growth or anything
    > significant (other than knockback resistance, which I already bought).
    >
    > What's the maximum size that's realistic to be in terms of height and
    > width before I'd start having to pay points for extra reach and the
    > like?
    >
    > Hero 5th is the version I'm using.
    >
    > Lewis

    With the way that 5th edition suggests handling characters that are
    "very tall" or "very short" it could be as tall as you wanted. From a
    "does it make sense" perspective, I would say about 8 foot. This is
    based on the idea that one level of growth would make a person who was
    1 hex tall a little over 8' (8'4") - so above 8' I would expect that
    character to buying some of things that would associated with "tall as
    is it were a power".

    John D.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On 16 Jun 2004 13:16:30 -0700, john.desmarais@attglobal.net (John
    Desmarais) wrote:

    >Lewis W Beard <lewis@lwb.org> wrote in message news:<i39vc0li8mqbu8so1ksa7tjeqr8mslpk3q@4ax.com>...
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I have a character that I want to be abnormally tall and proportioned,
    >> but not so much that it gives me any levels of growth or anything
    >> significant (other than knockback resistance, which I already bought).
    >>
    >> What's the maximum size that's realistic to be in terms of height and
    >> width before I'd start having to pay points for extra reach and the
    >> like?
    >>
    >> Hero 5th is the version I'm using.
    >>
    >> Lewis
    >
    >With the way that 5th edition suggests handling characters that are
    >"very tall" or "very short" it could be as tall as you wanted. From a
    >"does it make sense" perspective, I would say about 8 foot. This is
    >based on the idea that one level of growth would make a person who was
    >1 hex tall a little over 8' (8'4") - so above 8' I would expect that
    >character to buying some of things that would associated with "tall as
    >is it were a power".

    I assume he actually has some of those things. The only really
    significant issue is "reach".
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Lewis W Beard" <lewis@lwb.org> wrote in message
    > All,
    >

    > What's the maximum size that's realistic to be in terms of height and
    > width before I'd start having to pay points for extra reach and the
    > like?

    According to the new Ultimate Brick Book has an expanded chart for Growth in
    5pt increments starting at 0pts
    0pts 1-2m tall <1m wide <100kg in weight.
    5pts 2.1-2.6m tall 1.1-1.3m wide 101-200kg in weight (+1
    Body/Stun, +5 Str, -1 KB)
    10pts 2.7-3.3m tall 1.4-1.7m wide 201-400kg weight (+2
    Body/Stun, -1 DCV, +1 PER Against, +10 Str, -2 KB)
    beyond that every 15pts gives you +1 Reach and the 5s and 10s follow the
    pattern here.

    --------
    Glacier
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message news:<40d0a212.84703069@news.telusplanet.net>...
    > On 16 Jun 2004 13:16:30 -0700, john.desmarais@attglobal.net (John
    > Desmarais) wrote:
    >
    > >Lewis W Beard <lewis@lwb.org> wrote in message news:<i39vc0li8mqbu8so1ksa7tjeqr8mslpk3q@4ax.com>...
    > >> All,
    > >>
    > >> I have a character that I want to be abnormally tall and proportioned,
    > >> but not so much that it gives me any levels of growth or anything
    > >> significant (other than knockback resistance, which I already bought).
    > >>
    > >> What's the maximum size that's realistic to be in terms of height and
    > >> width before I'd start having to pay points for extra reach and the
    > >> like?
    > >>
    > >> Hero 5th is the version I'm using.
    > >>
    > >> Lewis
    > >
    > >With the way that 5th edition suggests handling characters that are
    > >"very tall" or "very short" it could be as tall as you wanted. From a
    > >"does it make sense" perspective, I would say about 8 foot. This is
    > >based on the idea that one level of growth would make a person who was
    > >1 hex tall a little over 8' (8'4") - so above 8' I would expect that
    > >character to buying some of things that would associated with "tall as
    > >is it were a power".
    >
    > I assume he actually has some of those things. The only really
    > significant issue is "reach".

    If the character is near 8' tall and with normal human proportions
    I'd give him a few CSL in hand-to-hand fighting with the limitation
    "Only if he can keep opponent at distance (-1)". After all he has
    about an extra 6 inches of arms to hit you with. In a crowded area or
    when surrounded or up against a cliff he can't maintain distance, nor
    can he after he's been grappled. Additionally other characters can
    try to "get inside his range" and thereby negate this advantages. To
    do this would be a dodge or martial dodge. It would negate the advantage
    until one of the characters moved or the big character could try to
    get to preferred distance with his own dodge.
    Of course he gets Distinctive Features (Not concealable, Noticed and
    Recognised, Normal senses 15pts), but you already knew that. A few extra
    points of presence might make sense too.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "michael price" <nini_pad@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message
    > > On 16 Jun 2004 13:16:30 -0700, john.desmarais@attglobal.net (John
    > > Desmarais) wrote:
    > >
    > > >Lewis W Beard <lewis@lwb.org> wrote in message

    > > >With the way that 5th edition suggests handling characters that are
    > > >"very tall" or "very short" it could be as tall as you wanted. From a
    > > >"does it make sense" perspective, I would say about 8 foot. This is
    > > >based on the idea that one level of growth would make a person who was
    > > >1 hex tall a little over 8' (8'4") - so above 8' I would expect that
    > > >character to buying some of things that would associated with "tall as
    > > >is it were a power".
    > >
    > > I assume he actually has some of those things. The only really
    > > significant issue is "reach".
    >
    > If the character is near 8' tall and with normal human proportions
    > I'd give him a few CSL in hand-to-hand fighting with the limitation
    > "Only if he can keep opponent at distance (-1)". After all he has
    > about an extra 6 inches of arms to hit you with. In a crowded area or
    > when surrounded or up against a cliff he can't maintain distance, nor
    > can he after he's been grappled. Additionally other characters can
    > try to "get inside his range" and thereby negate this advantages. To
    > do this would be a dodge or martial dodge. It would negate the advantage
    > until one of the characters moved or the big character could try to
    > get to preferred distance with his own dodge.
    > Of course he gets Distinctive Features (Not concealable, Noticed and
    > Recognised, Normal senses 15pts), but you already knew that. A few extra
    > points of presence might make sense too.

    As high as you can talk you GM into. Physical Limitation: Very Tall. You
    don't have to take an advatage if you don't have it. example You might have
    abnormally short arms so you have no extra reach. Maybe you are 50 feet
    tall... but that's going to be mostly head, since you can't reach into
    second story windows. It all depends on your GM...

Games Video Games