Are Sony Notebooks Any Good

TheWhaleManCan

Honorable
May 16, 2012

I don't know but I'd be interested to hear some replies as well. I've considered looking at one of their laptop too.

I can't really say about Apple's current offerings (been 7 years since I played in the Apple OS) but, my Sony Vaio has been the best laptop I have owned (I was using laptops exclusively for about 8 years - travelling). I still use it when travelling.
Apple has the advantage if video and/or musical creativity are what you do often with the computer since those functions are almost integral to the OS. But outside of that, I could never justify the cost difference (I do very little video/music editing) between the two platforms.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I have switched from Mac to Sony and from Sony to Mac. I currently own a Sony Vaio and a Macbook.

I had a 2008 macbook for 1year. Never a problem.

Then I went to a 2009 Sony Vaio. After 2 years, Windows crashed and I need to reset Sony to factory condition. After 1 month, crashed again. After restating it once again, I decided to dual-boot with Linux. After a few months, Windows disapeared and I can only enter Linux now. And recently, If I run any intensive task, the computer shuts down automatically. Its still good for surfing the web.

Ive now been again on a macbook for 1 year, still not a problem, but who knows, I neer owned a Macbook more then 1 year.

I recomend both, get the one you think is more good looking. In terms of OS X vs Windows, I think OS X is way superior, specially for notebooks where you use a lot of the trackpad.

cgner

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Value wise, Sony hands down all week long. IMO best quality PC laptops out there. Not high end gaming alienware/Asus stuff but still good for everyday use. My friend has been using his for about 3 year, and it works well. Personally I like Toshiba. Mine has been great for 3 years, but Toshibas are heavy. I also own a macbook thats about 6 months old. Performance is eh. Price is very high. Mac os I dont care about. battery life is great! Weight is good. Screen is nice, but resolution is way too low. Speakers are good. Havent had it long enough to comment on reliabitity and relativity, but relatives had theirs for 4+ years with replacement of battery somewhere in between.

halcyon

Splendid

Hmmm... I don't know. Apple despite their unpopularity here makes a fine laptop for general use and light-gaming. ...as well does Sony. Their new Z's are quite nice. However, I'm drawn to the customability of the Macs...this may be because they're so ubiquitous... shells, cases, keyboard covers, etc. Non of that is available for the Sony's...and if it is its not easily found. ...worth mentioning.

halcyon

Splendid

Oh...okay...I should have used the term accessorize...not customize. ...if you want to customize as much as possible Sager is a great choice...right down to the thermal paste for the [strike]anal retentive[/strike] super-geek. :D

halcyon

Splendid

However, I think you have just about as many configuration options with a MacBook Pro as you with a VAIO-Z... and getting things like extra power adapter, etc. will be a bit easier. Don't get me wrong...I really like Sony products...but let's see...Windows 8 or Mountain Lion. Hmm.... Otherwise both kits are premium in materials and build-quality in my experience.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I'm interested in both the Apple and the Sony Vaio. I think if you get the proper drivers for Sony you shouldn't run into any serious problems. Apple, i think is still limited in the gaming department. You would have to use Windows if your a gamer.

halcyon

Splendid

I can tell you from personal experience that while Apple laptops don't focus on gaming, they can game well-enough. Whether via a VM or via bootcamped-Windows7 you'll be able to entertain yourself just fine on a MacBook...even in games like Metro 2033.

I'm playing Metro 2033 and Hawx/Hawx2 on my old 2011 15"...so I'd imagine anything current would do just fine.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

True, haven't' considered that possibility.