Sign in with
Your question

Hi was wondering is linux (kubuntu, UbuntU) more of a preference of user tastes

Last response: in Windows 7
September 1, 2012 2:32:45 PM
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2012 2:46:37 PM

Question is structured a little weirdly.

But which type of Linux distro someone uses is simply what someone finds useful for there purposes, so yes it is simply user taste. You have some Linux distros that cater to more complex users(people who can play with code and command lines) and some like Ubuntu that are prepackaged OS's with mostly everything already setup.

I only used Fedora 17 and Ubuntu considering i do not know my way around linux code or commands.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2012 6:14:16 PM

As said its a mix of usage requirements and preference.
I have dabbled and ubuntu is a good starting point as said its more or less a complete package straight off.
Mint is quite good as well and Zorin OS is something I have dabbled with and like as its designed to look and act similar to windows.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:16:36 PM

I've been dual-booting Windows and Linux for the past four years. I boot into Windows 7 when I want to play Windows-only games. I boot into Xubuntu for everything else... including some (initially) Windows-only games. Linux allows you to modify/customize anything and everything. Windows is more for the people who prefer to install it and forget it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2012 7:22:56 PM

spankmon said:
I've been dual-booting Windows and Linux for the past four years. I boot into Windows 7 when I want to play Windows-only games. I boot into Xubuntu for everything else... including some (initially) Windows-only games. Linux allows you to modify/customize anything and everything. Windows is more for the people who prefer to install it and forget it.

exactly

until the last few years you had to use the command line to do a lot of things.

this has gotten better with more distro's e.g. ubuntu

personally i like debian. most programs can be installed with a simple "apt get install"

there is plenty of support so i think the best way to go is find a forum that you think is helpful and use there os e.g. ubuntu forum is very helpful aparantly

(not really used ubuntu myself)
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:18:25 PM

I have found for me it more depends on support for hardware, such as wireless cards, or old computers such as a macbook.
m
l
!