Preventing the sharing of a drive

Dear All,
I am a fan of directing "My Documents" to a different drive that the one of
the Windows directory (usually I have Windows on C, Programs on D, My
Documents on E), but the fact is any one who log into the computer can
easily access my personal files. How can I change that?
Thanks.
The Undertaker

Hi,

Right click the 'my documents' folder and select properties. Flip to the sharing tab and check 'make
this folder private'. This will prevent other users from accessing your personal files stored under
My Documents.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
> I am a fan of directing "My Documents" to a different drive that the one of the Windows directory
> (usually I have Windows on C, Programs on D, My Documents on E), but the fact is any one who log
> into the computer can easily access my personal files. How can I change that?
> Thanks.
> The Undertaker

And to add: the drive with this folder has to be NTFS, but not FAT
drive.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Right click the 'my documents' folder and select properties. Flip to the sharing tab and check 'make
>this folder private'. This will prevent other users from accessing your personal files stored under
>My Documents.
<...>
>"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dear All,
>> I am a fan of directing "My Documents" to a different drive that the one of the Windows directory
>> (usually I have Windows on C, Programs on D, My Documents on E), but the fact is any one who log
>> into the computer can easily access my personal files. How can I change that?
<..>

True ! And welcome to the ranks once again, Mikhail !

--

"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
> And to add: the drive with this folder has to be NTFS, but not FAT
> drive.
>
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 02:26:06 -0300, "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Right click the 'my documents' folder and select properties. Flip to the sharing tab and check
>>'make
>>this folder private'. This will prevent other users from accessing your personal files stored
>>under
>>My Documents.
> <...>
>>"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Dear All,
>>> I am a fan of directing "My Documents" to a different drive that the one of the Windows
>>> directory
>>> (usually I have Windows on C, Programs on D, My Documents on E), but the fact is any one who log
>>> into the computer can easily access my personal files. How can I change that?
> <..>

"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Dear All,
>I am a fan of directing "My Documents" to a different drive that the one of
>the Windows directory (usually I have Windows on C, Programs on D, My
>Documents on E), but the fact is any one who log into the computer can
>easily access my personal files. How can I change that?
>Thanks.
>The Undertaker

If you have XP Pro and the documents are on an NTFS drive then you can
set the access permissions to prevent other users from accessing them.

If you have XP Home and the documents drive is NTFS you can set
permissions by first booting into Safe Mode.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP