MN-500 Wireless Bridge

I currently have two Microsoft Wireless Base Stations (MN-
500) and was trying to see if they can be used as a
wireless bridge to expand my network and share resources.
Does anyone know if this is possible.

Details:
Currently have a home network with a DSL modem connected
to a Microsoft Wireless Base Station. The Base Station is
being used as a router for two computer connected via
ethernet cable (wired connection).

I was trying to add another computer and a gaming system
(PS2) to the network, but they are located on the other
side of the house and I did not want to install additional
cable in the walls. I have another Base Station (MN-
500). Is it possible to configure it to work as a
wireless bridge and then connect the third computer and
the PS2 (via ethernet cable) to the bridge in order to
share resources and access the internet? If so, how? I
have spent the weekend trying with no success.

Thank you,
Damian
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless bridge

    Sorry. The MN-500 cannot be a wireless bridge.

    The workaround is to connect the wireless adapter for the
    PS-2 (or the XBox if you have an XBox) into the modem port
    of the second MN-500. You need to configure the PS2
    wireless adapter on a PC (or the XBox adapter on an XBox).
    Check that the system is within range. On the PS2 this
    means that you need to have the wired network adapter plus
    a wireless adapter (the wireless adapter is a generic
    adapter and is not produced by Sony -- Sony never created a
    wireless adapter for the PS2).

    The alternative to this is of course to wire the two MN-500.

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #1
    MN-500 or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    MN-500 or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if
    available)

    Make sure all MN-500s are running the latest firmware 1.11.017

    Make sure all MN-700s are running the latest firmware 2.00.08.0333

    Now lets look at the setup of each MN-500 or MN-700:

    MN-500 or MN-700 #1
    router mode
    LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
    some SSID
    some WEP key
    channel 6

    MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
    same SSID
    same WEP key
    channel 1

    MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if available)
    bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
    same SSID
    same WEP key
    channel 11

    If you keep the SSID and WEP key the same for all base stations, people
    will be able to move between offices and get a connection.

    You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
    prevent interference.

    Channels 1, 6, and 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

    There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

    Damian wrote:

    > I currently have two Microsoft Wireless Base Stations (MN-
    > 500) and was trying to see if they can be used as a
    > wireless bridge to expand my network and share resources.
    > Does anyone know if this is possible.
    >
    > Details:
    > Currently have a home network with a DSL modem connected
    > to a Microsoft Wireless Base Station. The Base Station is
    > being used as a router for two computer connected via
    > ethernet cable (wired connection).
    >
    > I was trying to add another computer and a gaming system
    > (PS2) to the network, but they are located on the other
    > side of the house and I did not want to install additional
    > cable in the walls. I have another Base Station (MN-
    > 500). Is it possible to configure it to work as a
    > wireless bridge and then connect the third computer and
    > the PS2 (via ethernet cable) to the bridge in order to
    > share resources and access the internet? If so, how? I
    > have spent the weekend trying with no success.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Damian

    The question was how to connect two MN-500's without wires
    in between. I would rather not use wires then, for the
    *wireless* connection...

    They need to be wired.
    The units will NOT communicate with each other wirelessly.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "lilo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The question was how to connect two MN-500's without wires
    > in between. I would rather not use wires then, for the
    > *wireless* connection...

    Yep... unless if a XBox or PS2 wireless adapter is used to
    make it wireless ^_^

Routers Wireless Microsoft Networking