Whats the deal with memory timing?

gpol2162

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
Could someone please explain to me what memory timeig does and what it affects? Eg: what is the diffrence between 2-2-2-2 and 3-4-4-3 (if such timings exist). My theory is that it affects over-clocking but I don't really know. Any help would be greatly appreicated as i don't have a clue as to what it means.

thanks

those numbers are the number of clock cycles in which in RAM takes to do a certain task. I can't remember the actual names of the taskes. One of the most important in the CAS. The first number in the set. The lower the timings, the faster the RAM is at what ever speed it is rated for. For example:

DDR400 (PC3200) RAM with timings of 2-2-2-3 is faster than the same RAM with timings of 3-4-4-8.

Your theory that it effect overclocking is not entirely wrong, RAM with lower timings has a high chance of overclocking to higher speeds (but with slower timings).

When o/c you increase the stress on the RAM, to releive the stress (so the RAM runs stable) you losen the Timings from say, 2-2-2-3, to 2.5-3-3-8.

Underclocking the RAM relieves stress to the RAM, so you can tigten the timings to increase the stress.

Hope this helps

<font color=blue><font color=red>Milk</font color=red> my <font color=red>ass</font color=red>, and call me <font color=red>Nancy</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Just google "ram timings" and ur bound to find some good guides.

Here's a presentaion on ram basics by Corsair <A HREF="http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/tech/memory_basics/153707/index.html" target="_new">http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/tech/memory_basics/153707/index.html</A> Check it out, a good place to start.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

fux you then :lol:

<font color=blue><font color=red>Milk</font color=red> my <font color=red>ass</font color=red>, and call me <font color=red>Nancy</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS