CHKDSK problem

Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
turned up any problems.

I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.

Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
wonder if this caused some corruption.

The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.
8 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk problem

    First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
    problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
    http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
    second one is based on the first.

    Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
    you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
    error says that memory fails.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    <stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
    >Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
    >However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
    >to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
    >configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
    >turned up any problems.
    >
    >I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.
    >
    >Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
    >wonder if this caused some corruption.
    >
    >The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
    >it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I have run PC Doctor for Windows and the 'memory'
    part of the test was passed. With the hard drive part of the test, I got the
    message 'could not obtain drive size parameters'. Could the fact I only have
    3% of free space be an issue? I have the IBM Rescue and Recovery programme
    installed and various back-ups are taking quite a bit of space in a hidden
    partition. Thank you for your continuing assistance.

    "Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:

    > First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
    > problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
    > http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
    > second one is based on the first.
    >
    > Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
    > you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
    > error says that memory fails.
    >
    > --
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > ======
    > On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:56:04 -0700, "stepirv"
    > <stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
    > >Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
    > >However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
    > >to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
    > >configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
    > >turned up any problems.
    > >
    > >I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.
    > >
    > >Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
    > >wonder if this caused some corruption.
    > >
    > >The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
    > >it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:16:01 -0700, "stepirv"
    <stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the suggestion. I have run PC Doctor for Windows and the 'memory'
    >part of the test was passed. With the hard drive part of the test, I got the
    >message 'could not obtain drive size parameters'. Could the fact I only have
    >3% of free space be an issue? I have the IBM Rescue and Recovery programme
    >installed and various back-ups are taking quite a bit of space in a hidden
    >partition. Thank you for your continuing assistance.

    Comprehensive memory test is a long process (so, the FULL test of 1MB --
    one MEGAbyte -- of RAM will take thousands years), and what PC Doctor do
    -- is only the quick estimation.

    I don't think 3% of free space is an issue in this case, though low free
    space may create some problems -- depending on the size of the logical
    drive. But 'could not obtain drive size parameters' message, if the
    program is adequate, is an alarm signal: is seems that it is something
    wrong either with the partitioning of the drive, or even (but less
    likely -- taking into account DFT results) with the drive itself. What a
    program, including its version, was used to partition the drive, and to
    create the hidden partition(s)? What is the HDD size, and the partitions
    sizes?

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    ======
    >"Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:
    >
    >> First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
    >> problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
    >> http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
    >> second one is based on the first.
    >>
    >> Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
    >> you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
    >> error says that memory fails.
    <...>
    >> ======
    >> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:56:04 -0700, "stepirv"
    >> <stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
    >> >Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
    >> >However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
    >> >to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
    >> >configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
    >> >turned up any problems.
    >> >
    >> >I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.
    >> >
    >> >Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
    >> >wonder if this caused some corruption.
    >> >
    >> >The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
    >> >it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.

    Thanks for your continuing assistance. The partition was created when the
    operating system was installed with the OEM CDs. There is the option at
    installation to create the hidden partition for IBM Rescue and Recovery.
    According to Disk Management, the IBM_PRELOAD (C) is 54.23 (GB) NTFS Healthy
    (System); the hidden partition is IBM_SERVICE 1.66GB FAT 32 Healthy (Unknown
    partition). (I have copied later back-ups to an external hard drive and
    deleted all but the base back-up on the laptop, which now gives me 34% free
    space.)

    stepirv wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I have run PC Doctor for Windows and the 'memory'
    > part of the test was passed. With the hard drive part of the test, I got the
    > message 'could not obtain drive size parameters'. Could the fact I only have
    > 3% of free space be an issue? I have the IBM Rescue and Recovery programme
    > installed and various back-ups are taking quite a bit of space in a hidden
    > partition. Thank you for your continuing assistance.

    Use Memtest86 and the MS Memory Diagnostics:

    www.memtest.com

    oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Run both and allow several passes with each, sometimes one will find RAM
    problems the other doesn't and sometimes as the system warms up the
    errors emerge.

    Steve

    > "Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:
    >

    >>First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
    >>problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
    >>http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
    >>second one is based on the first.
    >>
    >>Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
    >>you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
    >>error says that memory fails.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Mikhail Zhilin
    >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >>http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    >>Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    >>Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    >>======
    >>On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:56:04 -0700, "stepirv"
    >><stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
    >>>Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
    >>>However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
    >>>to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
    >>>configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
    >>>turned up any problems.
    >>>
    >>>I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.
    >>>
    >>>Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
    >>>wonder if this caused some corruption.
    >>>
    >>>The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
    >>>it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.

    Actually, the URL is http://memtest86.com

    However, you might want to use Memtest86+ as that has been updated to
    support newer processors/chipsets

    It is available here
    http://www.memtest.org/

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    Gary Tsang wrote:

    > Actually, the URL is http://memtest86.com

    Sorry. Thanks for catching that.

    > However, you might want to use Memtest86+ as that has been updated to
    > support newer processors/chipsets
    >
    > It is available here
    > http://www.memtest.org/

    Thanks for the info Gary.

    Steve

    No problem.

    --

    > Gary Tsang wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, the URL is http://memtest86.com
    >
    > Sorry. Thanks for catching that.
    >

    >> However, you might want to use Memtest86+ as that has been updated to
    >> support newer processors/chipsets
    >>
    >> It is available here
    >> http://www.memtest.org/
    >>

    > Thanks for the info Gary.