CHKDSK problem

July 2, 2005 4:56:04 AM

Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
turned up any problems.

I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.

Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
wonder if this caused some corruption.

The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.

More about : chkdsk problem

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:22:14 PM

First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
second one is based on the first.

Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
error says that memory fails.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
<stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
>Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
>However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
>to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
>configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
>turned up any problems.
>
>I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.
>
>Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
>wonder if this caused some corruption.
>
>The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
>it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:22:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I have run PC Doctor for Windows and the 'memory'
part of the test was passed. With the hard drive part of the test, I got the
message 'could not obtain drive size parameters'. Could the fact I only have
3% of free space be an issue? I have the IBM Rescue and Recovery programme
installed and various back-ups are taking quite a bit of space in a hidden
partition. Thank you for your continuing assistance.

"Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:

> First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
> problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
> http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
> second one is based on the first.
>
> Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
> you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
> error says that memory fails.
>
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:56:04 -0700, "stepirv"
> <stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
> >Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
> >However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
> >to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
> >configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
> >turned up any problems.
> >
> >I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.
> >
> >Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
> >wonder if this caused some corruption.
> >
> >The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
> >it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.

July 3, 2005 2:11:10 AM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:16:01 -0700, "stepirv"
<stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion. I have run PC Doctor for Windows and the 'memory'
>part of the test was passed. With the hard drive part of the test, I got the
>message 'could not obtain drive size parameters'. Could the fact I only have
>3% of free space be an issue? I have the IBM Rescue and Recovery programme
>installed and various back-ups are taking quite a bit of space in a hidden
>partition. Thank you for your continuing assistance.

Comprehensive memory test is a long process (so, the FULL test of 1MB --
one MEGAbyte -- of RAM will take thousands years), and what PC Doctor do
-- is only the quick estimation.

I don't think 3% of free space is an issue in this case, though low free
space may create some problems -- depending on the size of the logical
drive. But 'could not obtain drive size parameters' message, if the
program is adequate, is an alarm signal: is seems that it is something
wrong either with the partitioning of the drive, or even (but less
likely -- taking into account DFT results) with the drive itself. What a
program, including its version, was used to partition the drive, and to
create the hidden partition(s)? What is the HDD size, and the partitions
sizes?

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
Please reply to the newsgroups only.
======
>"Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:
>
>> First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
>> problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
>> http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
>> second one is based on the first.
>>
>> Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
>> you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
>> error says that memory fails.
<...>
>> ======
>> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:56:04 -0700, "stepirv"
>> <stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
>> >Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
>> >However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
>> >to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
>> >configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
>> >turned up any problems.
>> >
>> >I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.
>> >
>> >Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
>> >wonder if this caused some corruption.
>> >
>> >The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
>> >it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:11:11 AM

Thanks for your continuing assistance. The partition was created when the
operating system was installed with the OEM CDs. There is the option at
installation to create the hidden partition for IBM Rescue and Recovery.
According to Disk Management, the IBM_PRELOAD (C) is 54.23 (GB) NTFS Healthy
(System); the hidden partition is IBM_SERVICE 1.66GB FAT 32 Healthy (Unknown
partition). (I have copied later back-ups to an external hard drive and
deleted all but the base back-up on the laptop, which now gives me 34% free
space.)

"Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 08:16:01 -0700, "stepirv"
> <stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the suggestion. I have run PC Doctor for Windows and the 'memory'
> >part of the test was passed. With the hard drive part of the test, I got the
> >message 'could not obtain drive size parameters'. Could the fact I only have
> >3% of free space be an issue? I have the IBM Rescue and Recovery programme
> >installed and various back-ups are taking quite a bit of space in a hidden
> >partition. Thank you for your continuing assistance.
>
> Comprehensive memory test is a long process (so, the FULL test of 1MB --
> one MEGAbyte -- of RAM will take thousands years), and what PC Doctor do
> -- is only the quick estimation.
>
> I don't think 3% of free space is an issue in this case, though low free
> space may create some problems -- depending on the size of the logical
> drive. But 'could not obtain drive size parameters' message, if the
> program is adequate, is an alarm signal: is seems that it is something
> wrong either with the partitioning of the drive, or even (but less
> likely -- taking into account DFT results) with the drive itself. What a
> program, including its version, was used to partition the drive, and to
> create the hidden partition(s)? What is the HDD size, and the partitions
> sizes?
>
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> >"Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:
> >
> >> First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
> >> problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
> >> http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
> >> second one is based on the first.
> >>
> >> Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
> >> you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
> >> error says that memory fails.
> <...>
> >> ======

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:19:08 PM

stepirv wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. I have run PC Doctor for Windows and the 'memory'
> part of the test was passed. With the hard drive part of the test, I got the
> message 'could not obtain drive size parameters'. Could the fact I only have
> 3% of free space be an issue? I have the IBM Rescue and Recovery programme
> installed and various back-ups are taking quite a bit of space in a hidden
> partition. Thank you for your continuing assistance.

Use Memtest86 and the MS Memory Diagnostics:

www.memtest.com

oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Run both and allow several passes with each, sometimes one will find RAM
problems the other doesn't and sometimes as the system warms up the
errors emerge.

Steve

> "Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:
>

>>First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
>>problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
>>http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
>>second one is based on the first.
>>
>>Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
>>you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
>>error says that memory fails.
>>
>>--
>>Mikhail Zhilin
>> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>>http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
>>Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
>>Please reply to the newsgroups only.
>>======
>>On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:56:04 -0700, "stepirv"
>><stepirv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, I have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional on an IBN ThinkPad T30.
>>>Latterly, when I run CHKDSK, the programme runs OK and finds no errors.
>>>However, it won't boot into Windows. To get the laptop working again, I have
>>>to unplug and remove the battery, and then choose 'the last good working
>>>configuration'. I have run a Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and that has not
>>>turned up any problems.
>>>
>>>I recently had to reinstall my OS when CHKDSK went into a continuous loop.
>>>
>>>Recently, I had a problem with my HP Printer and used System Restore--I
>>>wonder if this caused some corruption.
>>>
>>>The laptop seems to be working fine at the moment but I have a residual fear
>>>it might fail because of this problem. Many thanks in anticipation.

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:19:09 PM

Actually, the URL is http://memtest86.com

However, you might want to use Memtest86+ as that has been updated to
support newer processors/chipsets

It is available here
http://www.memtest.org/

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
> stepirv wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I have run PC Doctor for Windows and the
>> 'memory' part of the test was passed. With the hard drive part of the
>> test, I got the message 'could not obtain drive size parameters'. Could
>> the fact I only have 3% of free space be an issue? I have the IBM Rescue
>> and Recovery programme installed and various back-ups are taking quite a
>> bit of space in a hidden partition. Thank you for your continuing
>> assistance.
>
> Use Memtest86 and the MS Memory Diagnostics:
>
> www.memtest.com
>
> oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> Run both and allow several passes with each, sometimes one will find RAM
> problems the other doesn't and sometimes as the system warms up the errors
> emerge.
>
> Steve
>

>> "Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:
>>

>>>First of all I would test a memory (but it may be and the other hardware
>>>problem) -- using a program like Memtest, either from
>>>http://www.memtest86.com/ or from http://www.memtest.org/ site: the
>>>second one is based on the first.
>>>
>>>Let it run no less than an hour; better -- all over the night. But if
>>>you'll get two or more memory errors before -- you can stop it: even one
>>>error says that memory fails.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Mikhail Zhilin
>>> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User) http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
>>>Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
>>>Please reply to the newsgroups only.
>>>======

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:06:22 PM

Gary Tsang wrote:

> Actually, the URL is http://memtest86.com

Sorry. Thanks for catching that.

> However, you might want to use Memtest86+ as that has been updated to
> support newer processors/chipsets
>
> It is available here
> http://www.memtest.org/

Thanks for the info Gary.