Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I was looking at what American swimmers will be wearing to the next Olympics
and of course the first thing that occured to me is that it looked exactly like
a superhero costume. There's a reason for that:

Skin-tight Body Stocking: People mock comic book couture for it's
impracticality, but not always justly. Take a look at what a luger, or a speed
skater wears. Anyone who flies faster than the speed of sound may be able to
personally take
that kind of punishment, but if they don't expect to arrive naked, they sure as
hell better wear a skin tight outfit. Even more modestly empowered heros who
only travel at, say 30 or 40 mph are going to notice significant drag if they
don't have
an outfit that, shall we say, will reveal any definciencies in their form in
brutal detail.
Female outfits are another matter. Cleavage is simply not an option for any
woman
with significant flight powers. Your spandex will peel off instantly at speed.
Additionally anyone with remarkable flexibility, had better have a very
stretchy outfit, probably skin tight. People with stretching powers would be
well advised to dress like a professional wrestler, with arms and legs bare so
they can stretch freely.

Colour Schemes: Daredevil dressed in red to sneak around at night. Was that
really the wisest choice? Spider-Man dressed in an even brighter red. And
let's not even talk about Moon Knight or Robin. It may be boring, but let's
face it, basic black is the best choice for those who wish to sneak up on
people in the dark. Even in the daytime, the most practical reason to adopt a
garish 4-colour scheme to your uniform is if you somehow harbour ambitions to
be an entertainer, or to license your image. Spider-Man's costume was of
course the product of his early show biz aspirations but the odds are good that
a real life "spiderman" would have gone to urban camo or basic black quite a
while ago. However, an exception could be called for teams, where they want
identifying colours to avoid friendly fire casualties (probably the _same_
identifying colours however) and characters who wish to declare themselves one
of the good guys by wearing colours of the national flag.

Capes: In Japanese cartoons, the cape is the mark of an aristocratic villain.
Historically, the primary use of capes was to protect your expensive clothing
from getting splashed with mud, blood or other bodily fluids. That's why the
lining is more expensive than the outer material. For a modern day superhero,
capes are rarely useful. They give an opponent a readily grabbed handle to
yank on, increase wind resistance while flying and don't offer much in return.
However,
if you are wearing a body stocking with no belt...a cape does provide a handy
place to stick a pocket. Apart from that, and misguided advice of your image
consultant, the best reason to wear a cape is because the cape itself has
useful powers. If you need it to turn invisible, access hammerspace, or fly,
then it becomes worth bothering with.

Masks: Masks are a highly problematic item in your outfit. They tend to
interfere with your peripheral vision, make people suspicious of you, don't
look all that good unless you black your eyes with makeup, and are less likely
to offer you superpowers. However, they are required for a minimal attempt at
maintaining a secret identity and are used in real life for just that purpose
by people like American vice cops, and Sicilian judges. They don't provide an
impenetrable defense against identify detection of course, but habitually
wearing a mask while working will at least prevent casual identification of the
hero by the public at large
and villains with limited resources.

High Heels: Female comic book heros are depressingly inclined to go the
high-heel route as their artists sacrifice practically for pinup appeal.
This is obviously insane for any woman who can't fly if they expect to fight by
any physical means, doubly so if they are superstrong, since those stilleto
heels will
snap the first time they throw a punch, and punch holes into the ground if they
lift
something heavy. However a flying zapper can wear high heels if she wants to.
It's not like she'll be doing much walking.

myrnag2555@aol.com (Myrnag2555) wrote in message news:<20040719054404.25600.00002235@mb-m29.aol.com>...
> I was looking at what American swimmers will be wearing to the next Olympics
> and of course the first thing that occured to me is that it looked exactly like
> a superhero costume. There's a reason for that:
>
> Skin-tight Body Stocking: People mock comic book couture for it's
> impracticality, but not always justly. Take a look at what a luger, or a speed
> skater wears. Anyone who flies faster than the speed of sound may be able to
> personally take
> that kind of punishment, but if they don't expect to arrive naked, they sure as
> hell better wear a skin tight outfit. Even more modestly empowered heros who
> only travel at, say 30 or 40 mph are going to notice significant drag if they
> don't have
> an outfit that, shall we say, will reveal any definciencies in their form in
> brutal detail.

Unless the outfit is constructed in such a way as to be more
aerodynamic than the human form normaly is.

> Female outfits are another matter. Cleavage is simply not an option for any
> woman
> with significant flight powers. Your spandex will peel off instantly at > speed.

actualy adhesives could be used to hold the spandex on and tight while
still permiting the heroine to show some cleavage. Though I'm not
sure why she'd want to got to all that trouble and discomfort. I
doubt the distraction to male foes is realy great enough to be worth
it.

> Additionally anyone with remarkable flexibility, had better have a very
> stretchy outfit, probably skin tight. People with stretching powers would be
> well advised to dress like a professional wrestler, with arms and legs bare so
> they can stretch freely.

I have to agree here. I notice however that you offered no advice for
characters who's powers are destructive to ordinary cloth. If you
don't use a unstable molecules like dodge are characters like the
Human Torch condemed to have to run around in the nude? Does Kevlar
hold up to heat well? Is there another alternative? What about
characters who change size? do they need diferent wardrobes for their
diferent heights?

> Colour Schemes: Daredevil dressed in red to sneak around at night. Was that
> really the wisest choice? Spider-Man dressed in an even brighter red. And
> let's not even talk about Moon Knight or Robin. It may be boring, but let's
> face it, basic black is the best choice for those who wish to sneak up on
> people in the dark.

Actualy I have read that black may not be a good choice for night
camoflage. If it's a glossy black it will reflect whatever light is
available and even a no gloss black can be seen as a darker pach of
human shaped shadow. Dark grey or green are probably most efective
but any dark color will do. Also important is the fact that any solid
color is more visable than a irregular patern because the patern makes
the human outline harder to pick out.
There are also considerations in an uban environment that with garish
brightly lit up bilboards and neon signs all over the place a brightly
colored costume might well blend in as part of that background where a
darker color sheme might stand out.

> Even in the daytime, the most practical reason to adopt a
> garish 4-colour scheme to your uniform is if you somehow harbour ambitions to
> be an entertainer, or to license your image. Spider-Man's costume was of
> course the product of his early show biz aspirations but the odds are good >that
> a real life "spiderman" would have gone to urban camo or basic black quite a
> while ago. However, an exception could be called for teams, where they want
> identifying colours to avoid friendly fire casualties (probably the _same_
> identifying colours however) and characters who wish to declare themselves one
> of the good guys by wearing colours of the national flag.

Collors that stand out also serve the purpose of identifying a hero to
law enforcement at a distance so they know it's help coming and not
more bad guys. This can be quite important if the hero doesn't have a
radio to do the same job.

> Capes: In Japanese cartoons, the cape is the mark of an aristocratic villain.
> Historically, the primary use of capes was to protect your expensive clothing
> from getting splashed with mud, blood or other bodily fluids. That's why the
> lining is more expensive than the outer material. For a modern day superhero,
> capes are rarely useful. They give an opponent a readily grabbed handle to
> yank on, increase wind resistance while flying and don't offer much in return.
> However,
> if you are wearing a body stocking with no belt...a cape does provide a handy
> place to stick a pocket. Apart from that, and misguided advice of your image
> consultant, the best reason to wear a cape is because the cape itself has
> useful powers. If you need it to turn invisible, access hammerspace, or fly,
> then it becomes worth bothering with.

A cape also serves to break up a persons outline aiding in stealth.
If the cape can be removed eaislily (wise as it makes it less usefull
to grab the cape) it can also be thrown over an enemies head
temporatily blinding him or over a weapon entagling blades and
throwing off the aim of guns. Finaly the corner of a cape can be
snaped in an enemies face as a distraction.

> Masks: Masks are a highly problematic item in your outfit. They tend to
> interfere with your peripheral vision, make people suspicious of you, don't
> look all that good unless you black your eyes with makeup, and are less likely
> to offer you superpowers. However, they are required for a minimal attempt at
> maintaining a secret identity and are used in real life for just that purpose
> by people like American vice cops, and Sicilian judges. They don't provide an
> impenetrable defense against identify detection of course, but habitually
> wearing a mask while working will at least prevent casual identification of the
> hero by the public at large
> and villains with limited resources.

Masks with tinted or reflective lenses over the eyes can help with the
peripheral vision problem as the lenses can be made much larger than
traditonal eyeslits while still concealing the face. Aditionaly such
lenses also disquise the eye color hindering identification. A mask
may also contain padding which distorts the shape of facial features
making identification through the mask that much harder. It's even
possible to incorperate a voice distorter into a mask hindering voice
ID, but use of such devices is usualy obvious AFAIK.

> High Heels: Female comic book heros are depressingly inclined to go the
> high-heel route as their artists sacrifice practically for pinup appeal.
> This is obviously insane for any woman who can't fly if they expect to fight >by
> any physical means, doubly so if they are superstrong, since those stilleto
> heels will
> snap the first time they throw a punch,

True if the heels are made of standard material used in shoes.
However if they are made of something stronger they may hold up to the
strain and provide a nice weapon when kicking as they concentrate the
force of the blow into an extremely small area.

> and punch holes into the ground if they
> lift
> something heavy.

Unless she stands with her weight on the balls of her feet as she
lifts, which is doo-able, though it leads to less eficiency when
lifting.

>However a flying zapper can wear high heels if she wants to.
> It's not like she'll be doing much walking.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On 19 Jul 2004 09:44:04 GMT, myrnag2555@aol.com (Myrnag2555) carved
upon a tablet of ether:

> Colour Schemes: Daredevil dressed in red to sneak around at night. Was that
> really the wisest choice? Spider-Man dressed in an even brighter red. And
> let's not even talk about Moon Knight or Robin. It may be boring, but let's
> face it, basic black is the best choice for those who wish to sneak up on
> people in the dark. Even in the daytime, the most practical reason to adopt a
> garish 4-colour scheme to your uniform is if you somehow harbour ambitions to
> be an entertainer, or to license your image. Spider-Man's costume was of
> course the product of his early show biz aspirations but the odds are good that
> a real life "spiderman" would have gone to urban camo or basic black quite a
> while ago. However, an exception could be called for teams, where they want
> identifying colours to avoid friendly fire casualties (probably the _same_
> identifying colours however) and characters who wish to declare themselves one
> of the good guys by wearing colours of the national flag.

Actually, black os a poor choice for night work, especially in cities
where it seldom truely dark. A dark grey or deep blue would be a
better choice.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

"Richard Brown" <rbrown@myriad.com> wrote in message
> myrnag2555@aol.com (Myrnag2555) wrote in message
> > I was looking at what American swimmers will be wearing to the next
Olympics
> > and of course the first thing that occured to me is that it looked
exactly like
> > a superhero costume. There's a reason for that:
> >
> > Skin-tight Body Stocking: People mock comic book couture for it's
> > impracticality, but not always justly. Take a look at what a luger, or
a speed
> > skater wears. Anyone who flies faster than the speed of sound may be
able to
> > personally take that kind of punishment, but if they don't expect to
arrive
> > naked, they sure as hell better wear a skin tight outfit. Even more
modestly
> > empowered heros who only travel at, say 30 or 40 mph are going to notice
> > significant drag if they don't have an outfit that, shall we say, will
reveal any
> > definciencies in their form in brutal detail.
>
> Unless the outfit is constructed in such a way as to be more
> aerodynamic than the human form normaly is.

But how can that be done without compromising freedom of movement?

> > Female outfits are another matter. Cleavage is simply not an option for
any
> > woman with significant flight powers. Your spandex will peel off
instantly
> > at speed.
>
> actualy adhesives could be used to hold the spandex on and tight while
> still permiting the heroine to show some cleavage. Though I'm not
> sure why she'd want to got to all that trouble and discomfort. I
> doubt the distraction to male foes is realy great enough to be worth
> it.

Hey superheroes need a reason to be superheroic, part of that reason
is the admiration of the general public. Clearly some of the superheroines
think it's worth a little discomfit to look one's best.

> > Additionally anyone with remarkable flexibility, had better have a very
> > stretchy outfit, probably skin tight. People with stretching powers
would be
> > well advised to dress like a professional wrestler, with arms and legs
bare so
> > they can stretch freely.
> >
> I have to agree here. I notice however that you offered no advice for
> characters who's powers are destructive to ordinary cloth. If you
> don't use a unstable molecules like dodge are characters like the
> Human Torch condemed to have to run around in the nude? Does Kevlar
> hold up to heat well? Is there another alternative? What about
> characters who change size? do they need diferent wardrobes for their
> diferent heights?

You can buy heat resistent, size changing, low drag, teleportationally
stable
fabric at Transdimensional Mallets Inc. We don't just make mysteriously
appearing croquet mallets anymore.

> > Colour Schemes: Daredevil dressed in red to sneak around at night.
Was that
> > really the wisest choice? Spider-Man dressed in an even brighter red.
And
> > let's not even talk about Moon Knight or Robin. It may be boring, but
let's
> > face it, basic black is the best choice for those who wish to sneak up
on
> > people in the dark.
>
> Actualy I have read that black may not be a good choice for night
> camoflage. If it's a glossy black it will reflect whatever light is
> available and even a no gloss black can be seen as a darker pach of
> human shaped shadow. Dark grey or green are probably most efective
> but any dark color will do. Also important is the fact that any solid
> color is more visable than a irregular patern because the patern makes
> the human outline harder to pick out.
> There are also considerations in an uban environment that with garish
> brightly lit up bilboards and neon signs all over the place a brightly
> colored costume might well blend in as part of that background where a
> darker color sheme might stand out.
>
> > Even in the daytime, the most practical reason to adopt a
> > garish 4-colour scheme to your uniform is if you somehow harbour
ambitions to
> > be an entertainer, or to license your image. Spider-Man's costume was
of
> > course the product of his early show biz aspirations but the odds are
good >that
> > a real life "spiderman" would have gone to urban camo or basic black
quite a
> > while ago. However, an exception could be called for teams, where they
want
> > identifying colours to avoid friendly fire casualties (probably the
_same_
> > identifying colours however) and characters who wish to declare
themselves one
> > of the good guys by wearing colours of the national flag.
> >

> Collors that stand out also serve the purpose of identifying a hero to
> law enforcement at a distance so they know it's help coming and not
> more bad guys. This can be quite important if the hero doesn't have a
> radio to do the same job.

Of course why Spiderman and others who aren't loved by the police would do
this is another question.

> > Capes: In Japanese cartoons, the cape is the mark of an aristocratic
villain.
> > Historically, the primary use of capes was to protect your expensive
clothing
> > from getting splashed with mud, blood or other bodily fluids. That's
why the
> > lining is more expensive than the outer material. For a modern day
superhero,
> > capes are rarely useful. They give an opponent a readily grabbed handle
> > yank on, increase wind resistance while flying and don't offer much in
return.
> > However,
> > if you are wearing a body stocking with no belt...a cape does provide a
handy
> > place to stick a pocket. Apart from that, and misguided advice of your
image
> > consultant, the best reason to wear a cape is because the cape itself
has
> > useful powers. If you need it to turn invisible, access hammerspace, or
fly,
> > then it becomes worth bothering with.
>
> A cape also serves to break up a persons outline aiding in stealth.
> If the cape can be removed eaislily (wise as it makes it less usefull
> to grab the cape) it can also be thrown over an enemies head
> temporatily blinding him or over a weapon entagling blades and
> throwing off the aim of guns. Finaly the corner of a cape can be
> snaped in an enemies face as a distraction.

Today's heroes just don't know capework like they used to. N.B.
the cape was originally used because it was a stardard part of fencing
styles.

> > Masks: Masks are a highly problematic item in your outfit. They tend
> > interfere with your peripheral vision, make people suspicious of you,
don't
> > look all that good unless you black your eyes with makeup, and are less
likely
> > to offer you superpowers. However, they are required for a minimal
attempt at
> > maintaining a secret identity and are used in real life for just that
purpose
> > by people like American vice cops, and Sicilian judges. They don't
provide an
> > impenetrable defense against identify detection of course, but
habitually
> > wearing a mask while working will at least prevent casual identification
of the
> > hero by the public at large and villains with limited resources.
> >

> Masks with tinted or reflective lenses over the eyes can help with the
> peripheral vision problem as the lenses can be made much larger than
> traditonal eyeslits while still concealing the face. Aditionaly such
> lenses also disquise the eye color hindering identification. A mask
> may also contain padding which distorts the shape of facial features
> making identification through the mask that much harder. It's even
> possible to incorperate a voice distorter into a mask hindering voice
> ID, but use of such devices is usualy obvious AFAIK.
>
> > High Heels: Female comic book heros are depressingly inclined to go the
> > high-heel route as their artists sacrifice practically for pinup appeal.
> > This is obviously insane for any woman who can't fly if they expect to
fight by
> > any physical means, doubly so if they are superstrong, since those
stilleto
> > heels will snap the first time they throw a punch,
>
> True if the heels are made of standard material used in shoes.
> However if they are made of something stronger they may hold up to the
> strain and provide a nice weapon when kicking as they concentrate the
> force of the blow into an extremely small area.

Well sure it's a champions Killing Attack if I ever saw one but is it
really worth
the difficulty in running, keeping balance etc? Then again it makes it that
much
harder to estimate their real height.