System Restore Points Disappeared

I went to System Restore yesterday and all of June's restore points had
disappeared. The only restore points available were two July 1 points - One
created by the installation of an updated video driver and one I created
manually as a test. Does anyone know what may cause this? Is there a fix
for System Restore gone awry? Thanks in advance.

See my response in the windowsxp.basics group.

Please limit posting a question to one relevant group. If you must post the
same question to multiple groups, please learn how to crosspost
appropriately so that the same question (and responses to it) are not
recreated multiple times.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Warren" <unknown@cox.net> wrote in message
>I went to System Restore yesterday and all of June's restore points had
>disappeared. The only restore points available were two July 1 points -
>One created by the installation of an updated video driver and one I
>created manually as a test. Does anyone know what may cause this? Is
>there a fix for System Restore gone awry? Thanks in advance.

My posting to the "basics" board won't show on my computer. That is why I
crossposted. Please help me on this board. Thanks

See:

'System Restore "restore points" are missing or deleted'
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301224

And -- don't you use any USB drives by chance (like Flash Drive, or
external USB HDD)?

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 07:24:25 -0400, "Warren" <unknown@cox.net> wrote:

>I went to System Restore yesterday and all of June's restore points had
>disappeared. The only restore points available were two July 1 points - One
>created by the installation of an updated video driver and one I created
>manually as a test. Does anyone know what may cause this? Is there a fix
>for System Restore gone awry? Thanks in advance.

Alias

"Mikhail Zhilin [MS MVP]" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
> See:
>
> 'System Restore "restore points" are missing or deleted'
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301224
>
> And -- don't you use any USB drives by chance (like Flash Drive, or
> external USB HDD)?

Will an external USB HDD eliminate restore points?

Alias

> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 07:24:25 -0400, "Warren" <unknown@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I went to System Restore yesterday and all of June's restore points had
>>disappeared. The only restore points available were two July 1 points -
>>One
>>created by the installation of an updated video driver and one I created
>>manually as a test. Does anyone know what may cause this? Is there a fix
>>for System Restore gone awry? Thanks in advance.

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:17:10 +0200, "Alias"
<aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

>"Mikhail Zhilin [MS MVP]" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
>> See:
>>
>> 'System Restore "restore points" are missing or deleted'
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301224
>>
>> And -- don't you use any USB drives by chance (like Flash Drive, or
>> external USB HDD)?
>
>Will an external USB HDD eliminate restore points?
>
>Alias
<.....>

If the external drive is not excluded from System Restore (Control Panel
-- System -- System Restore tab -- select the drive -- Settings button
-- Turn off System Restore on this drive), and there is less than
(approx) 10% of the free space on the drive -- System Restore turns to
Suspend state, deleting all restore points.

But moreover: if the external USB drive is attached to the 'hot' system,
then System Restore watches it even in case it had been excluded from
System Restore before the last boot. But no problem if the USB drive,
that was excluded from System Restore, is attached before booting.

--

"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:17:10 +0200, "Alias"
> <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
>

>>"Mikhail Zhilin [MS MVP]" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
>>> See:
>>>
>>> 'System Restore "restore points" are missing or deleted'
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301224
>>>
>>> And -- don't you use any USB drives by chance (like Flash Drive, or
>>> external USB HDD)?
>>
>>Will an external USB HDD eliminate restore points?
>>
>>Alias
> <.....>
>
> If the external drive is not excluded from System Restore (Control Panel
> -- System -- System Restore tab -- select the drive -- Settings button
> -- Turn off System Restore on this drive), and there is less than
> (approx) 10% of the free space on the drive -- System Restore turns to
> Suspend state, deleting all restore points.

It's an 80 gig drive with two partitions, one is 15 GB with nothing in it.
The other is 65GB with less than 5GB being used. Do I have anything to worry
about?

Thanks,

Alias

> But moreover: if the external USB drive is attached to the 'hot' system,
> then System Restore watches it even in case it had been excluded from
> System Restore before the last boot. But no problem if the USB drive,
> that was excluded from System Restore, is attached before booting.
>
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:28:11 +0200, "Alias"
<aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

>"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message

>> <.....>
>>
>> If the external drive is not excluded from System Restore (Control Panel
>> -- System -- System Restore tab -- select the drive -- Settings button
>> -- Turn off System Restore on this drive), and there is less than
>> (approx) 10% of the free space on the drive -- System Restore turns to
>> Suspend state, deleting all restore points.
>
>It's an 80 gig drive with two partitions, one is 15 GB with nothing in it.
>The other is 65GB with less than 5GB being used. Do I have anything to worry
>about?
<...>

I din't investigate this problem in whole (there are some additional
effects, when the removable drive is included in System Restore, but if
you have no problems with System Restore -- all is Ok. If the free space
won't be too low.