Networking Windows XP Professional

I have two PCs which I networked using the wizard, a process I have done many
times before sucessfully. Having reformatted one hard drive I cannot get the
thing working again. I tried the wizard and I also tried manually configuring
IP addresses. The master PC shows it connected - (hard wired cross over
cable) - at 100 Mbps and the slave shows 400 Mbps!!

Although the PCs are obviously connected they cannot "see" each other on the
network. I tried pinging the master from the slave and got an "unreachable"
message. I have tried this with the firewalls turned off on both machines.
Can anyone please advise as to what might be wrong and how to correct it
please?
Thanks in anticipation

Tony S wrote:
> I have two PCs which I networked using the wizard, a process I have
> done many times before sucessfully. Having reformatted one hard drive
> I cannot get the thing working again. I tried the wizard and I also
> tried manually configuring IP addresses. The master PC shows it
> connected - (hard wired cross over cable) - at 100 Mbps and the slave
> shows 400 Mbps!!
>
> Although the PCs are obviously connected they cannot "see" each other
> on the network. I tried pinging the master from the slave and got an
> "unreachable" message. I have tried this with the firewalls turned
> off on both machines. Can anyone please advise as to what might be
> wrong and how to correct it please?
> Thanks in anticipation

Simple or Advanced networking?
Usernames/passwords match on the PCs?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Simple I assume. Just the two PCs on a home network. Neither has any user
names or passwords on the PCs as I live alone and don't need different
accounts or password protection on computers.
Any other ideas gratefully accepted
Tony S

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Tony S wrote:
> > I have two PCs which I networked using the wizard, a process I have
> > done many times before sucessfully. Having reformatted one hard drive
> > I cannot get the thing working again. I tried the wizard and I also
> > tried manually configuring IP addresses. The master PC shows it
> > connected - (hard wired cross over cable) - at 100 Mbps and the slave
> > shows 400 Mbps!!
> >
> > Although the PCs are obviously connected they cannot "see" each other
> > on the network. I tried pinging the master from the slave and got an
> > "unreachable" message. I have tried this with the firewalls turned
> > off on both machines. Can anyone please advise as to what might be
> > wrong and how to correct it please?
> > Thanks in anticipation
>
> Simple or Advanced networking?
> Usernames/passwords match on the PCs?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

They do have usernames and passwords. They are just configured to auto log
in. Go to the control panel>user accounts and give yourself a password. Do
the same for the other pc. Make them the same. Passwords cannot be blank.
Reboot then login, once sharing is working then reconfigure your system to
auto login. Start>run>type in CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, press enter.

"Tony S" <TonyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Simple I assume. Just the two PCs on a home network. Neither has any user
> names or passwords on the PCs as I live alone and don't need different
> accounts or password protection on computers.
> Any other ideas gratefully accepted
> Tony S
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> Tony S wrote:
>> > I have two PCs which I networked using the wizard, a process I have
>> > done many times before sucessfully. Having reformatted one hard drive
>> > I cannot get the thing working again. I tried the wizard and I also
>> > tried manually configuring IP addresses. The master PC shows it
>> > connected - (hard wired cross over cable) - at 100 Mbps and the slave
>> > shows 400 Mbps!!
>> >
>> > Although the PCs are obviously connected they cannot "see" each other
>> > on the network. I tried pinging the master from the slave and got an
>> > "unreachable" message. I have tried this with the firewalls turned
>> > off on both machines. Can anyone please advise as to what might be
>> > wrong and how to correct it please?
>> > Thanks in anticipation
>>
>> Simple or Advanced networking?
>> Usernames/passwords match on the PCs?
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Have you tried another network adapter(s)?
Maybe there's something wrong with it/them.

--
Regards,
Yao Su

>I have two PCs which I networked using the wizard, a process I have done
>many
> times before sucessfully. Having reformatted one hard drive I cannot get
> the
> thing working again. I tried the wizard and I also tried manually
> configuring
> IP addresses. The master PC shows it connected - (hard wired cross over
> cable) - at 100 Mbps and the slave shows 400 Mbps!!
>
> Although the PCs are obviously connected they cannot "see" each other on
> the
> network. I tried pinging the master from the slave and got an
> "unreachable"
> message. I have tried this with the firewalls turned off on both machines.
> Can anyone please advise as to what might be wrong and how to correct it
> please?
> Thanks in anticipation

Many thanks to all who advised me. I'll try all of the suggestions. Thanks you
Tony S