booting problems

July 2, 2005 10:24:01 AM

the boot gets as far as the black windowsxp page, it used to freeze at this
point,now it goes black and the blue welcome screen never appears.

i used to be able to get it to work by using last know good configuration,
but that doesnt help anymore.

i have saved my error logs, not sure if they are any use. they are evt
files. i would post them up but there doesnt seem to be any facility to do so.

also it boots up ok in safe mode, hope that helps

im using xp pro

More about : booting problems

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 1:31:54 PM

When you boot up in safe mode you are using a minimal set of hardware
drivers and there are no user added startups running. What hardware drivers
did you add/change just before the problem started? What about new software
that starts when Windows starts?

Use system restore to go back to just before this problem started.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"------------daz--------------" <daz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A07A59C0-2A67-40F9-B680-38FABD995829@microsoft.com...
> the boot gets as far as the black windowsxp page, it used to freeze at
> this
> point,now it goes black and the blue welcome screen never appears.
>
> i used to be able to get it to work by using last know good configuration,
> but that doesnt help anymore.
>
> i have saved my error logs, not sure if they are any use. they are evt
> files. i would post them up but there doesnt seem to be any facility to do
> so.
>
> also it boots up ok in safe mode, hope that helps
>
> im using xp pro
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:29:24 PM

Hi

If you can access Safe Mode, try a System Restore back to a point before the
problem started.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"------------daz--------------" <daz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A07A59C0-2A67-40F9-B680-38FABD995829@microsoft.com...
> the boot gets as far as the black windowsxp page, it used to freeze at
> this
> point,now it goes black and the blue welcome screen never appears.
>
> i used to be able to get it to work by using last know good configuration,
> but that doesnt help anymore.
>
> i have saved my error logs, not sure if they are any use. they are evt
> files. i would post them up but there doesnt seem to be any facility to do
> so.
>
> also it boots up ok in safe mode, hope that helps
>
> im using xp pro
July 2, 2005 7:32:45 PM

Congratulations, Richard. MS-MVP Windows Shell/User. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ew82qpwfFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> When you boot up in safe mode you are using a minimal set of hardware
> drivers and there are no user added startups running. What hardware
> drivers did you add/change just before the problem started? What about
> new software that starts when Windows starts?
>
> Use system restore to go back to just before this problem started.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "------------daz--------------" <daz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:A07A59C0-2A67-40F9-B680-38FABD995829@microsoft.com...
>> the boot gets as far as the black windowsxp page, it used to freeze at
>> this
>> point,now it goes black and the blue welcome screen never appears.
>>
>> i used to be able to get it to work by using last know good
>> configuration, but that doesnt help anymore.
>>
>> i have saved my error logs, not sure if they are any use. they are evt
>> files. i would post them up but there doesnt seem to be any facility to
>> do so.
>>
>> also it boots up ok in safe mode, hope that helps
>>
>> im using xp pro
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 7:32:46 PM

In news:%23ucft10fFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> typed:

> Congratulations, Richard. MS-MVP Windows Shell/User. :-)

Ditto! Richard, my congratulations too.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:29:25 PM

Thank You Wesley!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

> Congratulations, Richard. MS-MVP Windows Shell/User. :-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ew82qpwfFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> When you boot up in safe mode you are using a minimal set of hardware
>> drivers and there are no user added startups running. What hardware
>> drivers did you add/change just before the problem started? What about
>> new software that starts when Windows starts?
>>
>> Use system restore to go back to just before this problem started.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>

>> "------------daz--------------" <daz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:A07A59C0-2A67-40F9-B680-38FABD995829@microsoft.com...
>>> the boot gets as far as the black windowsxp page, it used to freeze at
>>> this
>>> point,now it goes black and the blue welcome screen never appears.
>>>
>>> i used to be able to get it to work by using last know good
>>> configuration, but that doesnt help anymore.
>>>
>>> i have saved my error logs, not sure if they are any use. they are evt
>>> files. i would post them up but there doesnt seem to be any facility to
>>> do so.
>>>
>>> also it boots up ok in safe mode, hope that helps
>>>
>>> im using xp pro
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:29:26 PM

Richard,

I failed to add...

I don't know enough to know that I don't know. :-D

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23ZYCCW1fFHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank You Wesley!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,

>> Congratulations, Richard. MS-MVP Windows Shell/User. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:ew82qpwfFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> Richard Urban <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> When you boot up in safe mode you are using a minimal set of hardware
>>> drivers and there are no user added startups running. What hardware
>>> drivers did you add/change just before the problem started? What about
>>> new software that starts when Windows starts?
>>>
>>> Use system restore to go back to just before this problem started.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "------------daz--------------" <daz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:A07A59C0-2A67-40F9-B680-38FABD995829@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:29:40 PM

Thank You Ken!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

> In news:%23ucft10fFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Wesley Vogel <123WVogel955@comcast.net> typed:
>
>> Congratulations, Richard. MS-MVP Windows Shell/User. :-)
>

> Ditto! Richard, my congratulations too.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

July 5, 2005 12:26:40 AM

!