USB Controller missing in Device Manager

July 2, 2005 6:37:38 PM

Hi
I recently formated my HD and reloaded xp. I noticed that I have a driver
missing called Universal Serial Bus(USB) Controller missing in Device
Manager.

I have tried all my drivers but nothing help.

Could someone help me Please???

Thanx
Nick
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:05:32 PM

Is it switched off in bios ? ...if so XP won't know it's there :-)

regards, Richard

"Nick" <mcois@dvrpoxy.com> wrote in message
news:D a68ri$h4d$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi
> I recently formated my HD and reloaded xp. I noticed that I have a driver
> missing called Universal Serial Bus(USB) Controller missing in Device
> Manager.
>
> I have tried all my drivers but nothing help.
>
> Could someone help me Please???
>
> Thanx
> Nick

August 11, 2008 5:28:43 AM

Set defaults in BIOS to enable USB Controllers
*************************************
I had exactly the same problem , when I reinstalled Windows XP(SP2) on my friend's computer:
USB Controllers were not listed in Device Manager.
It was MDG system with Intel's integrated motherboard.
I think integrated motherboard caused the problem.
I was reinstalling Windows from desk top maker's CD.
They recommend to install chipset driver and BIOS update first thing after complete reinstall,
but that did not resolve the issue.
I spent almost 2 days trying to find solution. I searched Google and tried everything I found on differnet forums and Microsoft website, installing .NET Framework and other available updates. Nothing worked.
I knew I had to re-enable USB in BIOS.
But when in BIOS, I could not modify entry for USB, it did not allow me to do that.
I was not allowed to select USB on Advanced tab.
SO I just selected Set Defaults (F9), and immediately I could see that USB was enabled. I saved and restarted the computer...
The problem was resolved. After restart, the system found USB controllers and installed them.
PS : Microsoft claims the problem can be resolved by installing Windows updates, but it never did.
I noticed this problem is quite "popular". I personally went through 20 or more sites.
PS: another workaround: to buy separate USB (2 or 4 ports) card, if 1st solution does not help.
Good luck! I know what you feel!
Related resources
September 20, 2008 6:56:46 PM

:bounce:  :bounce:  ;)  :)  :hello:  :wahoo:  :sol:  :sol:  :sol:  :sol:  :sol:  :sol:  :)  :)  :)  :)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo:

roccking man . you r great man luckydip.God bless u. ucan not belive this how much i am happy ......ur really great man .thanks for sharing... i always remember u in my life .........i not getting word to discribe u ,,,,,,,.........but .............u r really great man.this word says evry thing what i want to say[][][][][][][][/][/][/][/][/][/][/]
May 29, 2012 2:26:01 PM

thanks yaar it was a great help to me.... i m very happy.. thanks a lot
!