Sending Mesages to Other Members of a Workgroup

In my home I have set up the family PCs into a workgroup and I think it
would be useful to be able to send messages between the PCs, for example
when helping a user to troubleshoot a problem. I have read about the 'net
send' command unfortunately I can not get this to work and it appears to be
intended for use in a domain environment by the computer administrator.
Windows Messenger would do it but it seems unnecessary to send a message to
another work group user over the internet.
Does anyone know how this can be done?
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about sending mesages members workgroup

    The Messenger Service is defaulted to disabled with Windows XP SP2

    Note: The Messenger Service is NOT the same as Windows Messenger or MSN
    Messenger (those are Instant Messaging Applications)

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    M wrote:
    > In my home I have set up the family PCs into a workgroup and I think
    > it would be useful to be able to send messages between the PCs, for
    > example when helping a user to troubleshoot a problem. I have read
    > about the 'net send' command unfortunately I can not get this to work
    > and it appears to be intended for use in a domain environment by the
    > computer administrator. Windows Messenger would do it but it seems
    > unnecessary to send a message to another work group user over the
    > internet. Does anyone know how this can be done?
    > Thanks.

    What's wrong with getting off your fat arse, and going to help the other
    user(s) in the house, face to face?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    M wrote:

    > In my home I have set up the family PCs into a workgroup and I think it
    > would be useful to be able to send messages between the PCs, for example
    > when helping a user to troubleshoot a problem. I have read about the 'net
    > send' command unfortunately I can not get this to work and it appears to
    > be intended for use in a domain environment by the computer administrator.
    > Windows Messenger would do it but it seems unnecessary to send a message
    > to another work group user over the internet.
    > Does anyone know how this can be done?
    > Thanks.

    I don't know why you are having problems using net send to send messages
    across your Workgroup? Works fine here with no domain.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Windows XP