Sending Mesages to Other Members of a Workgroup

In my home I have set up the family PCs into a workgroup and I think it
would be useful to be able to send messages between the PCs, for example
when helping a user to troubleshoot a problem. I have read about the 'net
send' command unfortunately I can not get this to work and it appears to be
intended for use in a domain environment by the computer administrator.
Windows Messenger would do it but it seems unnecessary to send a message to
another work group user over the internet.
Does anyone know how this can be done?
Thanks.

The Messenger Service is defaulted to disabled with Windows XP SP2

Note: The Messenger Service is NOT the same as Windows Messenger or MSN
Messenger (those are Instant Messaging Applications)

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

M wrote:
> In my home I have set up the family PCs into a workgroup and I think
> it would be useful to be able to send messages between the PCs, for
> example when helping a user to troubleshoot a problem. I have read
> about the 'net send' command unfortunately I can not get this to work
> and it appears to be intended for use in a domain environment by the
> computer administrator. Windows Messenger would do it but it seems
> unnecessary to send a message to another work group user over the
> internet. Does anyone know how this can be done?
> Thanks.

What's wrong with getting off your fat arse, and going to help the other
user(s) in the house, face to face?

--
Peace!
Kurt

M wrote:

> In my home I have set up the family PCs into a workgroup and I think it
> would be useful to be able to send messages between the PCs, for example
> when helping a user to troubleshoot a problem. I have read about the 'net
> send' command unfortunately I can not get this to work and it appears to
> be intended for use in a domain environment by the computer administrator.
> Windows Messenger would do it but it seems unnecessary to send a message
> to another work group user over the internet.
> Does anyone know how this can be done?
> Thanks.

I don't know why you are having problems using net send to send messages
across your Workgroup? Works fine here with no domain.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"