[Hero 5th] Turning On/Off Electrical Appliances/Devices

Last response: in Video Games
August 16, 2004 4:49:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

All,

I'm a played in a Hero 5th game where I know more about the rules than
everyone else, but I'm no guru. One of the players has experience
points to spend and he wants to give his electricity character the
ability to turn TVs, Lights, Stereos, and stuff on and off at will.

I'm not sure whether to buy this as change environment (but when he
stops concentrating they come back on), Suppress (same issue?), Dispel
(not sure electricty in a wall or device is really a power), or just
Telekinesis that only works on electrical devices (but he isnt really
turning the switch so it doesnt make sense).

Any ideas on how I'd do this?

Lewis
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 8:22:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <c581d835.0408161149.312dbae2@posting.google.com>,
lewis@lwb.org (Lewis W Beard) wrote:

> I'm a played in a Hero 5th game where I know more about the rules than
> everyone else, but I'm no guru. One of the players has experience
> points to spend and he wants to give his electricity character the
> ability to turn TVs, Lights, Stereos, and stuff on and off at will.
>
> I'm not sure whether to buy this as change environment (but when he
> stops concentrating they come back on), Suppress (same issue?), Dispel
> (not sure electricty in a wall or device is really a power), or just
> Telekinesis that only works on electrical devices (but he isnt really
> turning the switch so it doesnt make sense).
>
> Any ideas on how I'd do this?

How powerful is it? If he can only affect "mundane" electrical items
(stereos, lights, and other items not typically purchased with points),
then Change Enviroment seems appropriate, probably purchased at the base
level.

More powerful versions (that can turn off security cameras or guard
robots) would be built with Suppress. Activating powerful devices would
require an ability to give the device END (Healing, Aid, END Usable by
Other, etc).

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
indianajoe3@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Or it could be done as a Transform. Minor effect: Turn Appliance on or off.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 3:24:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <20040816173653.19122.00003655@mb-m06.aol.com>,
Detryxtyr <detryxtyr@aol.com> wrote:
>Or it could be done as a Transform. Minor effect: Turn Appliance on or off.

That sounds best, give it Area Effect so you roll the dice against each
appliance/system individually. GM might allow Cosmetic instead of Minor in
some cases (maybe multipower it...Cosmetic for little things like lights and
blenders and stereos, Minor for turning security on and off).

Dave Van Domelen, thinks this thread will probably degenerate into
Stupid Hero System Tricks pretty quickly as people argue about how to design
the blenders and lights and stereos....
August 17, 2004 3:48:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:24:43 +0000 (UTC), dvandom@haven.eyrie.org
(Dave Van Domelen) raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

>In article <20040816173653.19122.00003655@mb-m06.aol.com>,
>Detryxtyr <detryxtyr@aol.com> wrote:
>>Or it could be done as a Transform. Minor effect: Turn Appliance on or off.
>
> That sounds best, give it Area Effect so you roll the dice against each
>appliance/system individually. GM might allow Cosmetic instead of Minor in
>some cases (maybe multipower it...Cosmetic for little things like lights and
>blenders and stereos, Minor for turning security on and off).
>
> Dave Van Domelen, thinks this thread will probably degenerate into
>Stupid Hero System Tricks pretty quickly as people argue about how to design
>the blenders and lights and stereos....

And of course, now that you've said that, my brain immediately
responded "Hmm, Killing Attack, pair of Change Environments..."

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

>>Or it could be done as a Transform. Minor effect: Turn Appliance on or off.
>
> That sounds best, give it Area Effect so you roll the dice against each
>appliance/system individually. GM might allow Cosmetic instead of Minor in
>some cases (maybe multipower it...Cosmetic for little things like lights and
>blenders and stereos, Minor for turning security on and off).
>
> Dave Van Domelen, thinks this thread will probably degenerate into
>Stupid Hero System Tricks pretty quickly as people argue about how to design
>the blenders and lights and stereos....

I doubt any of these items have more than 1 or 2 Body to work against for this
effect. So buying more than the minimumdice necessary would be a waste. If
you need to bump up the points for an EC or Multipower, just add Advantages to
it.

Captain Geek
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:43:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <jnk4i0hkni4ikfdofca22j5nsto26r4qbu@4ax.com>,
Mouse <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote:

> And of course, now that you've said that, my brain immediately
> responded "Hmm, Killing Attack, pair of Change Environments..."

No, both the lights and the stereos are built using Images. :-)

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
indianajoe3@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 2:16:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:24:43 +0000 (UTC), dvandom@haven.eyrie.org
(Dave Van Domelen) wrotC:D RIVE_E

> Dave Van Domelen, thinks this thread will probably degenerate into
>Stupid Hero System Tricks pretty quickly as people argue about how to design
>the blenders and lights and stereos....

Well, the blender is clearly 1/2d6 HKA, Strength does not add, OAF,
Independent, can only attack hands/feet/similair size objects (-1),
requires electrical outet within 1 hex (-1).
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
August 18, 2004 12:35:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:43:30 -0400, Indiana Joe
<indianajoe3@comcast.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

>In article <jnk4i0hkni4ikfdofca22j5nsto26r4qbu@4ax.com>,
> Mouse <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> And of course, now that you've said that, my brain immediately
>> responded "Hmm, Killing Attack, pair of Change Environments..."
>
> No, both the lights and the stereos are built using Images. :-)

Is this where I'm supposed to call you a Nazi?

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 3:49:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <gpt6i01po65iu3qrfheghvae2dak0f86j1@4ax.com>,
Mouse <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:43:30 -0400, Indiana Joe
> <indianajoe3@comcast.net> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:
>
> >In article <jnk4i0hkni4ikfdofca22j5nsto26r4qbu@4ax.com>,
> > Mouse <mail141023@pop.net.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> And of course, now that you've said that, my brain immediately
> >> responded "Hmm, Killing Attack, pair of Change Environments..."
> >
> > No, both the lights and the stereos are built using Images. :-)
>
> Is this where I'm supposed to call you a Nazi?

Or a rules lawyer. :-) But that's close enough to Goodwin this thread.

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
indianajoe3@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 4:59:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Lizard <lizard@mrlizard.com> abagooba zoink larblortch

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:24:43 +0000 (UTC), dvandom@haven.eyrie.org
> (Dave Van Domelen) wrotC:D RIVE_E
>
>> Dave Van Domelen, thinks this thread will probably degenerate
>> into
>>Stupid Hero System Tricks pretty quickly as people argue about how to
>>design the blenders and lights and stereos....
>
> Well, the blender is clearly 1/2d6 HKA, Strength does not add, OAF,
> Independent, can only attack hands/feet/similair size objects (-1),
> requires electrical outet within 1 hex (-1).
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:12:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

> Any ideas on how I'd do this?

Buy a "Clapper"?
!