Recovering from an incomplete SP2 install

While attempting to apply the SP2 patch to Windows XP Pro it was unable to
read several files from a USB drive and eventually quit altogether, leaving
the install only partially finished. Now I am unable to boot the system.

Is there some way to recover from this? For example, installing another OS
and recoering the registry and security files, etc.
3 answers Last reply
More about recovering incomplete install

    You can try to install the original WinXP (if it is not an OEM version)
    on top of the existent version, without losing any programs and
    settings; only most of the updates have to be reinstalled after that --
    but if you plan to install SP2, you can not to think about SP1 updates:
    SP2 does include them.

    Boot from WinXP installation CD (again: it must not be OEM CD), select
    installation, and before you'll be asked to select the drive where you
    want to install XP -- Setup will show the existent Windows installation,
    and suggest to select the system you want to repair and to press R to
    repair it. Later, while repairing, you'll be asked to enter Product Key,
    so keep it handy.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 09:37:36 -0700, "bill" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote:

    >While attempting to apply the SP2 patch to Windows XP Pro it was unable to
    >read several files from a USB drive and eventually quit altogether, leaving
    >the install only partially finished. Now I am unable to boot the system.
    >
    >Is there some way to recover from this? For example, installing another OS
    >and recoering the registry and security files, etc.

    Can I backup and restore the original registry after this to recover my
    original state?

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:11:25 -0700, "bill" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Can I backup and restore the original registry after this to recover my
    >original state?

    Bill,

    You can use ERUNT,
    to backup the Registry at any time, and to restore any backup you
    haven't deleted.

    But Windows has the native, System Restore tool -- and in the most cases
    it is more suitable than Erunt: it does restore not only the Registry,
    but the essential files as well -- if they were deleted after the
    selected Restore point was created.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    ======

    >"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
    >> You can try to install the original WinXP (if it is not an OEM version)
    >> on top of the existent version, without losing any programs and
    >> settings; only most of the updates have to be reinstalled after that --
    >> but if you plan to install SP2, you can not to think about SP1 updates:
    >> SP2 does include them.
    >>
    >> Boot from WinXP installation CD (again: it must not be OEM CD), select
    >> installation, and before you'll be asked to select the drive where you
    >> want to install XP -- Setup will show the existent Windows installation,
    >> and suggest to select the system you want to repair and to press R to
    >> repair it. Later, while repairing, you'll be asked to enter Product Key,
    >> so keep it handy.

    <..>
    >> ======
    >> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 09:37:36 -0700, "bill" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >While attempting to apply the SP2 patch to Windows XP Pro it was unable
    >> >read several files from a USB drive and eventually quit altogether,
    >leaving
    >> >the install only partially finished. Now I am unable to boot the system.
    >> >
    >> >Is there some way to recover from this? For example, installing another
    >OS
    >> >and recoering the registry and security files, etc.

Windows XP