Constant Active Desktop Recovery

Four or five months ago, our old home desktop PC began to have problems with
the Active Desktop where upon bootup, it fairly consistently (about 1 out of
4 reboots, warm or cold) required the user to recover the active desktop.
The machine has been running Home SP2. While this was irritating, it was
easy enough to put up with.

However, now the Active Desktop recovering has degraded to require recovery
EVERY time the machine is rebooted, or booted from cold. This rebooting
actually happens quite often, as there are AOL users on this machine and the
machine has some sort of unrelated, long-standing (I think) glitch with the
AOL software and trying to access the internet for web content, which can
only be cleared up via a reboot.

One thing I've noticed on this particular machine is that the shutdown
process is taking an inordinately long period of time to complete,
particularly during the part during the 'Saving Your Settings' splash screen
(2-4 minutes). Given that there's not a lot of apps on this 'puter, and the
thing is constantly checked for malware and viruses, it seems weird that it
would take so long to save whatever setting the bloody thing needs to save.
But it does 'appear' to complete whatever it needs to complete, as the
machine has yet to hang up during any of the shutdowns and does go all the
way to complete shutdown or a reboot. The only sign of any problem is the
Active Desktop recovery on the subsequent bootup.

Any advice on how I might "fix" this? TIA.
1 answer Last reply
More about constant active desktop recovery

    Perform the following maintenance:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    Afterward, install the following:

    User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

    What's User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean)?
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=42257

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "stymied" wrote:

    | Four or five months ago, our old home desktop PC began to have problems with
    | the Active Desktop where upon bootup, it fairly consistently (about 1 out of
    | 4 reboots, warm or cold) required the user to recover the active desktop.
    | The machine has been running Home SP2. While this was irritating, it was
    | easy enough to put up with.
    |
    | However, now the Active Desktop recovering has degraded to require recovery
    | EVERY time the machine is rebooted, or booted from cold. This rebooting
    | actually happens quite often, as there are AOL users on this machine and the
    | machine has some sort of unrelated, long-standing (I think) glitch with the
    | AOL software and trying to access the internet for web content, which can
    | only be cleared up via a reboot.
    |
    | One thing I've noticed on this particular machine is that the shutdown
    | process is taking an inordinately long period of time to complete,
    | particularly during the part during the 'Saving Your Settings' splash screen
    | (2-4 minutes). Given that there's not a lot of apps on this 'puter, and the
    | thing is constantly checked for malware and viruses, it seems weird that it
    | would take so long to save whatever setting the bloody thing needs to save.
    | But it does 'appear' to complete whatever it needs to complete, as the
    | machine has yet to hang up during any of the shutdowns and does go all the
    | way to complete shutdown or a reboot. The only sign of any problem is the
    | Active Desktop recovery on the subsequent bootup.
    |
    | Any advice on how I might "fix" this? TIA.

Data Recovery Desktops Windows XP