Sign in with
Your question

Laptop would not boot past the first screen

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 7, 2009 7:23:51 AM

Hi,

I was working on my laptop when I got this blue error screen. The error message was "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR". So I restarted the laptop, it took a long time to boot up, and before it could fully bootup, I got another blue screen error. This time the error message was "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA", something was wrong in file PartMgr.sys.

I restarted the laptop again, this time it wouldn't go past the initial bootup screen (with the company logo and 'Press Esc to enter Setup, Press F12 to...'). I see the CPU light is on constantly, but it just stays on the same screen. I waited for more than 30mins, it wouldn't bootup.

How can I fix it? I did not install any new hardware or software. When the error occured I had Firefox and Visual Studio open. The laptop is Compaq V2000 series, Pentium M processor, with Windows XP Pro.

Thanks
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2009 3:45:54 PM

Those bluescreens have codes with a format of 0x000000. You don't, by chance, remember them, do you?
March 7, 2009 4:08:30 PM

No, I don't remember the code, I just noted down the error message.
Related resources
March 8, 2009 7:08:54 PM

kernal is to do with the memory you need to replace the RAM and possibly reinstall your xp
a b D Laptop
March 9, 2009 12:07:16 AM

Don't jump the gun and just start replacing parts. Run a memtest first. A hard disk diagnostic isn't a bad idea either.
!